tips for a romantic trip wanted - kinda long

DorotheaJN

Earning My Ears
Our DD, who just turned 18, has chosen to spend the Chrismas holiday with her BF and his family, and my parents has invited her brothers to come and spend the Christmas week with them.

My parents did invite DH and me too, but we know that my father who recently retired are really looking forward to spending some quality time alone with his grandchildren, so we have decided to let them go on their own.

That left DH and myself alone for Christmas for the first time since we got married many years ago.

MY DH has been working very hard for the last year and gotten a lots of positive attention for his work, and 4 weeks ago he was told by his supervisor that he would be getting a very large bonus :bounce: as a reward and a thank you from the company.

We then started thinking about taking a Christmas vacation, and several destinations were mentioned, but in the end WDW won out. We have been there several times over the last 9 years but this will be our first trip without kids

Our DD then mentioned that this would be like a (VERY) delayed honeymoon (We were poor students when we got married and never travelled anywhere until years later with the kids).

The idea kinda cought on so I changed the hotel from ASMo to POR and made reservation for dinner at the Castle on Christmas eve and a Carriage Ride at POR the night before Christmas. We are now talking about all the romantic things we want to do on our "Superdelayed but not to be forgotten honeymoon trip"

What do you think ? Do you have any suggestions on how to make this trip special ? What have you all found romantic and special at WDW ? Have any of you tried the carriage ride ?

Helle
Going on 20 years and still very much in love.......

:lovestruc

Well Dorothea, it sounds like you've already started to make some pretty romantic plans with your dinner at the Castle and the Carriage Ride!

Changing your hotel ressies to POR was also a great idea. My husband and I stayed at POR to celebrate our engagement (French Qtr.) and 1.5 yrs. later, for our honeymoon (Riverside) and loved them both. We requested one of the Southern mansion-style buildings for our honeymoon and really enjoyed walking through the resort, along the river every morning and at the end of each day...that quiet time was very romantic and a welcome reprieve at the end of a busy day at the parks.

For our honeymoon, we went to the Luau at the Polynesian Resort. At one point in the show, they ask ppl who are at Disney to celebrate their honeymoon or anniversary to join them on stage and they play a wedding song. All of the couples danced on stage (slow dance, no hula!). It was really romantic to be on stage in front of all of those ppl celebrating our special day!

Also, while not romantic but just plain silly and fun, we purchased a set of Mickey bride and groom ears ( :bride: :groom: ) at one of the souvenir stores and wore them in the parks one day! Guests and CM's were congratulating us and at some points, letting us ahead in lines! Our best moment of the day was at Planet Hollywood. As we entered the restaurant, they started to play the song "Going to the Chapel" and all of the screens in the restaurant were showing clips from the movie "Father of the Bride"! They did it just for us and all of the guests watched as we were seated! It was a lot of fun and although it took my very introverted hubby a while to get used to the attention, he did have fun with it!

We're a younger couple (30 yrs old) with no children yet, so for us, something as simple as having a great meal at a really nice restaurant is one of our favorite romantic things to do at Disney. You're away from the crowds and noise and can just sit and relax and enjoy each other's company. I think that you'll find just spending the day together doing what the two of you want and not having to worry about what your children would want, will be romantic in and of itself. Just concentrate on being together as a couple and having fun!

I hope that you have an amazing time and enjoy your long awaited honeymoon!!!

Hi,

Would you consider a hot air balloon? My BF (of 14 years) and I are going to do this in January. If you haven't been in a balloon before it really isn't scary (and I'm afraid of heights) it is very serene and peaceful and 'other worldly'. Many operators offer trips over the wdw, although you are at the mercy of the direction of the wind on the day you chose!

We are also considering the couples massage at the GF - followed by a romantic meal.

Enjoy your christmas/honeymoon!

:flower1:

We had a wonderful 10 day honeymoon 6 years ago. One of the most romantic things we did was have dinner at the Cal. Grill at the top of the Poly. The best thing was we had a table by the window to watch the fireworks at MK! It was really wonderful.

Cal Grill is at the top of the Contemporary, not Poly - and I agree it's great except now you can't watch the fireworks during dinner, you have to go outside

walk around and look at all the romantic spots at POR - there are many....

take an early morning walk around both POR and POFQ - or early evening - when the sun is rising or setting - both are pretty wonderful.

look for the rose garden and the butterfly garden at POR.

just relax!!!

take the boat ride to DD - it also runs at night.

You might consider renting points from a DVC member and staying in a 1-bedroom at OKW - why OKW - the whirlpool tub here is big enough for 2 people. If you want to be closer to the action BWV, B

On our honeymoon we also stayed at POR and requested a mansion style room. It was wonderful and the evening boat rides to Downtown were romantic. Especially if it is a chilly night.

The Luau at the Poly is fantastic. I think that that is a very romantic resort anyway. Just wandering around it before the show was nice. The mouse ears are fun and this year I noticed the ear headbands with the veil that was very cute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter