Tips flying with family (1st time!)

NotUrsula...I thought the FAA regulation was that a rear-facing carseat has to be in the window position. Obviously to not block anyone having to exit the row. But I thought that a forward-facing carseat could be placed anywhere in the row. I believe this regulation came into effect a few years ago. Have they changed it back again?

If I need to put my 15 month old at the window, I need to change my seat selections or WWIII will break out among my other 2 kids!!

According to the letter I have from the FAA, dated 05/02, the reg is that *ANY* CRS must be placed where it will not impede egress in an emergency. (The FAA's term, CRS, is for child restraint system.) This translates into a window seat on most aircraft, or in the exact center seat of the center section of a widebody. The seat may not be placed in an exit row, of course, but also not in the row in front of the exit row, because the backs of that row of seats are meant to fold forward to widen the exit row so that people can climb out that door. (If there is a carseat strapped into the seat, you can't push the seatback forward. An FA demonstrated it for me once.)

I have found that reservation agents and gate agents are often not sure about the rules on where the seat can go, and different airlines will enforce it differently. However, most FA's *will* make you move a seat if you put it anywhere other than a window or the center seat on a widebody. If the person you speak to on the phone says there is no such rule, it is best to ask them to double-check it while you wait.

PS: I should have mentioned the exception to the window rule.
According to my FAA letter, if there are 2 children in safety seats but only one adult travelling with them, then the first seat should be placed at the window, and the second right next to it, then the adult next to that seat. They did not tell me what the pattern would be if there were more than 2 babies in carseats with only one adult.

Also, another rule about multiple children: no more than one lap child is allowed in a single aisle-to-aisle row section. The reason for this is that each row section only has one extra oxygen mask, (that is, 2 seats=3 masks, etc.) So, if you and your lap child sat down, and then someone else with a lap child sat down next to you, the FA would have to make one of you move to a different row.

Thanks again for all the advice, suggestions, etc! :)

Your best bet with that many people in a group is to sit in two rows before and behind; stringing out crosswise is more trouble if things will be passed around.
I guess it depends on the family. This will work better for us because we will not have that problem. That is why I was dividing it up that way. There's nothing my youngest would have that my older two would need nor want- and vice versa. Well the youngest might want it- but she's not getting it if it's something of the older two's..... so there won't be passing around. Plus front/back will not work for us because whoever is in front is going to be turning around constantly. I don't want either me or my husband to get an aching neck/back/etc. LOL
(across ways- if the older two give me any trouble- all DH has to do is give them a look and they'll straighten up- they can see him better across rather than him turning around- or even worse if he was behind them so he'd only be glaring at the back of their seats. LOL)

But thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about behind each other and just don't think it will work well for us. Plus it would mean DH and youngest would be there in front or behind us- with 3 seats there. So..... if he sits on the aisle (as planned anyway) -then my youngest would have to be center seat- probably.... maybe... asking the other passenger at the window seat if she could sit at the window! If she is sitting at window- then DH is in center and if she freaks out and doesn't want window cause it's freaking her out- then he'd have to be window seat, her center and then someone else they'll have to climb over everytime she needs to go potty (which might be often during the flight- maybe not.... but my 5yr old still goes potty often so I bet she will be too).
I dunno... just thinking it would be better across this way. We'd have the aisle covered, no worries about window seat (except if my son doesn't really like it like he thinks- and in that case he can just switch with sister so I can still be in the middle of them) and I've seen people sitting front/back and they are constantly turning around and stuff. LOL

I can't use our carseat- it's way wider than 16in across. That's okay though-I was just about decided not to use it on the flight anyway. :)

Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter