Tips flying with family (1st time!)

BibbidyBobbidyBoo

<font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Okay so now that our plans have changed to FLYING- rather than driving like we normally do on vacations and like we did last time we went to WDW- any tips on flying with the kids?

This is what we have (LOL)- none have ever flown before.

9yrs old daughter, ADHD (read: hyper, but probably would be just fine with a gameboy or something the entire time- she just got one and is obsessed with it already- probably still will be in Nov?)

Son will have just turned 6 by this trip.... he's been begging to fly to WDW on our next trip for months- so I guess he's getting his wish. So I don't think we'll have PROBLEMS with him being scared or anything (already asking for window seat LOL) but who knows what will happen when we actually take off?

And our youngest- almost 3yrs old... who we will ofcourse be buying a ticket for because I most certainly do not want to HAVE to keep her in our laps the entire time- although she may want to.

Questions I have so far:
What do you suggest on the carseat? Use it, or check it? It's one that is a 5pt harness going up to 40lbs. She's only 31.5lbs now so I doubt she'll be out of that carseat by the time of this trip. At first I thought we'd USE it, but now I'm wondering if it would be worth messing with on the flight. She might not want to stay in it and while we force that issue everytime in the car ofcourse..... and she's used to that- we may have issues about it on the plane since everyone else won't be in shoulder/lap belts (and only lap belts for taking off/landing/etc) like we are in the car and then we'd have to deal with a carseat she doesn't want in the seat -wants to sit there without it? I'm thinking she'd probably stay in her seat without bothering other passengers if she only had the lap belt. Is that allowed for a ticketed young child using the lap belt only at around 30-35lbs? or not?

We'd have to take it no matter what- we'll be renting a vehicle and it's just not worth the extra money to rent one (that we might not even like as well or feel is as safe/etc) the entire trip. But we could check it without counting as extra checked luggage on Delta.

Okay next question- tips for keeping them entertained/quiet for the other passengers? We know all the tips for keeping them happy in the van, but ofcourse there are always moments when someone "snaps" and we just usually ignore it for a few minutes and it stops. I really don't want to do that on the plane though- everyone else on the plane might not have mastered the art of tuning out a temper-throwing young child for a few minutes- yanno? This is seriously why I have avoided flying with the kids up to this point- it's not right to ruin someone else's flight with screaming children and not sure how my children will react?

What do I do to avoid ear popping/etc during take off and landing? The older two can chew gum..... the youngest would just swallow it over and over. Would a sippy cup given right at the right time help any? Or what else do you suggest to avoid this problem? Not to mention I don't want her to have PAIN, I also don't want her to be screaming/crying afterwards and take awhile to calm her down/etc.

Tips for seating arrangements IF we have that option? As of right now, if I bought the tickets right now I can choose the seats online when purchasing the tickets. Here's my thoughts on seating arrangements and those with experience on this please let me know if you would suggest something different/etc?
I was thinking window seat 5yr old son (since he's been begging) with me next to him- we could switch seats if he decides it's freaking him out? Then 9yr old on the other side of me- then I can deal with them both, and oldest is on the outside seat so shouldn't have any problems with getting up and out in the aisle even for a moment or taking off to the bathroom without permission/etc.

Then in the center- across aisle from us- DH and youngest child- with him on the outside near aisle..... keep her off the aisle and also be a little closer so the two I'm dealing with know daddy is right there and they better behave. hahaha

??? Sound okay?

We'll also be checking her stroller. Will it be okay without a cover ya think? We don't have a cover for it.... we'd just collapse it and it has a snap lock to keep it that way- okay ya think? Any experience with damaged carseats or strollers as checked baggage? (I'm not even going to THINK about lost.... don't know what we'd do if that happened. I guess go buy new ones quick? LOL ack... not going to think about that)

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but until then if you have any suggestions on the things I've mentioned so far, tips or any other advice- I'd sure appreciate it! This is a learning experience for us... since we've never flown with the kids before and BOOM.... first time with THREE kids instead of working our way up through the years leaves us totally inexperienced on how to deal with this.

Hi bibbidybobbidyboo,

First of all nice job with the weight loss:Pinkbounc

Boy, do you have a lot on your mind. My 2 dds have flown from Boston to Fla about a dozen times each and they're only 3 and 4.

I think you'll be surprised how well they behave themselves when they're so excited. How long is your flight?

Here's my two cents. Check the carseat, but definitely bring it- I've never had one damaged. By 2 1/2 yrs old it tended to be more trouble than it was worth. (Remember they can see other people up walking around, etc.)

We generally pack a kiddie suitcase full of diversions (books , coloring books, books on tape with walkmans, playdough, dolls, puzzles, and lots of healthy/unhealthy snacks) Bathroom breaks and beverage service are also good time eaters. Delta plays short videos, too. Usually, CBS sitcoms.

Finally, on our most recent trip (alone with both girls) I brought our laptop with dvds-great move. The girls spent almost 2 hrs watching Beauty and the Beast. If you have a laptop or could borrow one it's worth it. You'll need to buy an adaptor to allow for mutliple headphones at any eletronics store.

We've never had an issue with ear popping.

As far as seating, go with your original plan. There will be several moves anyway. Have fun!;)

Thanks for your post!

Yes, I have a ton on my mind. Already did even BEFORE this change- so now I have the flying thing added on. LOL But it's exciting to plan. :)

The flight isn't that long at all- about 2.5-3hrs. Well, actually IN the plane is longer than that ofcourse. Actually about 4hrs from getting on plane to actually deboarding, if no delays.

By 2 1/2 yrs old it tended to be more trouble than it was worth. (Remember they can see other people up walking around, etc.)
Thank you- that's exactly what I was thinking! LOL

I don't think we could do the laptop -but maybe we can find something that will keep the youngest really entertained and the older two can do gameboy or something.

Definitely will be doing the other suggestions you mentioned. They will all have a little backpack (Disney themed- already bought those little secrets awhile back LOL) with little things to do and treats/snacks. :)

Thanks again for your post! If you think of anything else I will need to know or any tips- let me know!

My 5 YO used the ear-planes. She has never flown without them. She had very bad ear infections, and still has problems with allergies, strep throat, and swimmer's ear. We just never wanted to take the chance of her being miserable. My mom just started using them on my advice. She has all of those same problems with her ears. She states that they are a lifesaver.

As for the carseat, I brought my almost 3YO hers. I figured that it would help her sit still. It worked. She never wanted to get up. The only problem was that it sat her up just tall enough to kick the nice women's seat in front of her for most of the trip. God Bless that woman. She was so understanding. I practally had to sit on the kids legs.

As for seating They split us up:eek: :eek: :eek: I was sitting between a 5, and 2 YO, who were very excited, and very busy, while my husband was 3 rows up, taking a nap, and sipping a drink. That will NEVER happen again.:cool: :cool:

One other thing that I did, was pack there stuff in clear plastic backpacks. That was prob the best thing. They did not have to rummage, to get to what they wanted.

Have a great trip, but remember that the time might go quicker than you think. We didn't get out half the stuff, we thought we needed on the plane.

Thank you so much for your post!

What are "ear-planes"?
My oldest- who is 9yrs old now- hasn't had ear infections in a LONG time but she did have a lot as a baby and had tubes put in her ears at 1yrs old and they fell out/one was taken out at 4yrs old. So while she hasn't had ear issues in a long time- I wonder if she will with flying possibly?
My other two have never had ear problems (knocking on wood) so I'm not quite as worried about them.... kinda. LOL

But this sounds like something that might be worth getting- just in case?

The reason I worry is that I sometimes have problems with my ears on flights. I'm 33yrs old but I had lots of ear infections when I was much younger (childhood). My ears feel like they are going to explode and are really painful on take off/landing. I have to hold my nose, close my mouth and blow (if you know what I mean) and pop my ears. It hurts at first but then doesn't hurt- and it's a lot less painful than the pain BEFORE I decide to do that. Chewing gum doesn't work for me either. So maybe the ear-planes would be something I need too? So you can see from my own issues- it makes me worry about the kids having ear problems. Know what I mean? For me it's not a big deal. When I start feeling the pain I do the pop ear thing and it isn't painful anymore- but they won't know how to do this and wouldn't expect them to anyway- and they also can't deal with pain as well as me/etc.

Oh no... they better not split us up like that. If they did- kids would be with daddy and I'D be the one alone taking a nap and sipping a drink. HAHAHA They behave better for daddy anyway. ;)

That's what I'm hoping- that the trip is so short that it won't be as big of an issue as I'm afraid it might be. :)

Originally posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
What are "ear-planes"?

They are ear plugs made esp. for use during take off or landing. My girlfriend who has ear trouble in planes recommended them ... they are available in the pharmacy dept. in Wal*Mart ... think they were $4-5 per pair and you can use them a couple of times.

They come in child size or adult size.

Cheryl

We have a 6yo and 3yo. We flew last year (kids were 5 & 2). Both did well; I think in oart because DW and I didn't freak out and act nervous about flying. We just kept smiling and talking in a calm tone of voice. We had gum for the older one, sippy cup for the younger. We passed the time on the plane by giving 2yo some new "action figures" out of Happy Meals (remember those 100 figures McDonalds had last year?). Older one likes stuff like "I Spy" books, so we sprung a new one on her as plane was taking off. All in all, kids did VERY well, althogh we were really sweating it ahead of time. We will fly again in June and now feel well prepared.

Have a great trip!

Hi,

My 6 year old has problems with her ears when we fly. First, the day before I start giving her "Stuffy Noses", a decongestant ... pharmacist suggested starting the day before for maximum effectiveness.....The day of flying...Motrin. When we get into our seats, then a prescription medication "Auroto Otic Solution" it's basically a local pain reliever mixed in an oily base - ear drops - this is a God send for ears that hurt (flying or ear infection), followed by Ear Planes and a huge wad of bubble gum. This might sound like a lot, but if you ever had a kid cry for 2 hours on a plane, it's worth it.

Another tip, while kids can usually board first, that's just way too much time on the plane. My husband boards as usual with our stuff and the kids and I get on at the last possible minute. We have no bag so we just hop on and into our seats.

Jeannine

we have flown with our dd (5) loads of times, including 2 10 hour flights to wdw. other than night flights back from Orlando, (which are a nightmare), she has been no bother at all. In fact I am always amazed at how well she copes with it all.

I gave her a drink in a bottle/sippy cup for take off and landing when she was younger, and she has sweets to suck now. She doesn't have chewing gum normally, so I don't give it to her on the plane cause she wouldn't know what to do with it.

We usually bring some new toys/presents, for long flights I try and have one thing for each hour, but we are talking about very small things, maybe a comic, some crayons, a McDonalds Toy, nothing very expensive. I used to wrap them as she liked the idea it was a 'present' but with the new security etc, it seems like wrapping them is not a good idea. She now understands that when the big hand is pointing to the 12 she can have another toy - this helps ensure we haven't run through all the toys 2 hours into a 10 hour flight!

things she has really enjoyed included plasticine (modelling clay), pipe cleaners (I know, how strange, but she played with them for hours), sticker books, and the NUMBER 1 life saver has to be a walkman with story and music tapes. If you find the right tape she will just sit and listen for hours and hours, Playhouse Disney was a huge hit last year, The Tweenies the year before.

We've tried bringing the carseat on board once, and it was a disaster, she could see other kids not in car seats, so she protested loudly, but once you are on and up inthe air, there is no where to put the carseat, so we where stuck with it. That was an overnight flight, so she was also quite tired, and couldn't settle down to sleep, so it was a very LONG flight.

Bev

About your carseat, I would gate check it. I checked in a car seat at ticket counter one time. When I got it back it was greasy an dirty. The under belly of the plane is nasty. One Step Ahead sells carseat bags. But I would only buy that if flying alot. They will let you check the seat and stroller in at the gate. When you go down the ramp to get on the plane,you just leave them by the planes door. When you land they are there when you get out. Just a thought. Good luck. My DS 5 has flown several times, with no problem. I am wondering how DD 15 months{when we fly} will do.

I am also flying out this time with 3 kids...good luck to us all!!

Anyway, my opinion on flying and my experiences...bring the carseat on the plane. She's used to sitting in it and she really is much safer in it. Safety is the bottom line, right? I also would not want baggage handlers throwing my carseat around...any crack in the plastic and it needs to be replaced. Then you're stuck when you arrive. Whoever is the carseat installer in your family should preboard to work on the seat. I've held up an entire flight when the seatbelt was crunched and Delta didn't let me preboard (grrr!!). A little extra time without everyone staring at me would have been helpful. As far as the kid, they are so used to their seats, I've never had a problem with them wanting to get out. Now kicking the seat in front may be a problem LOL!

Definitely gate check your stroller. We actually use the stroller to carry the carseats through the airport. The kids walk and get some leg exercise before they are forced to sit around.

As far as activities...go with new stuff!! We've done play dough and coloring books and little action figures. This time we're flying JetBlue so hopefully the TV's will keep them occupied too!!

I say take the car seat on the plane. A lot of trouble but oh so much safer. A non- spill sip cup will work to help releave pressure on the ears. You have to suck to get the liquid out. Suckers or lollipops work well too and kids love them.

As far as keeping them entertained, the gameboys are a great idea for the older two. If the 6 year old does not have one yet, I would get him one too. A new game, presented a day or two before the trip might just keep them busy then whole time. I say a couple days before the trip because a new game can be flustrating when 1st introduced and you don't want stress on the flight. I would get some type of electronice toddler toy for the younger child too. Beside that, coloring, or sticker books, markers, a simple craft projects, books to read, and lot of fun snacks & juice boxes. Fruit chews are good for keeping ears open and kids love them. Look for disney shaped ones.

Sounds like you are also conserned about behavior on the flight. I would have a long talk about the flight several days ahead and explain just what it will be like. The unknown with kids can cause misbehavior. Set out the simple rules and the consiquence for the action. I would also set up a reward system to reinforce the behavior. Perhaps a few disney dollars if they can use indoor voices and stay in their seats. I also think that accepting the fact that you might need to spend a great deal of the flight entertaining them, will make it much easier. And just keep reminding yourself that in just a few hours you will be at WDW and all will be right!!!!!

Good luck

Jordan's mom

My 2 kids, DS8 and DD6, have flown several times and really like it. When we flew to WDW in 2001, I fixed each of them a plane bag. I found Princess stencils at the Disney store and Disney sticker books at Barnes and Noble before we went. My Ds loved doing the stencils as much as my DD! They did them for almost the whole time and even shared them with the girls in front of them as there were 5 or so stencils (the hard plastic kind). Almost every kid on the flight is going to WDW so they strted talking to each other. The gameboys are great, too. I usually spring for a new game to provide added interest. Also, I check out books and tapes from the library, FREE!, to bring along. My DD had ear troubles in the past, too, she gets a lollipop or something to suck on now. I usually have a special plane snack, too. Candy or something they don't usually get, even if it's in the morning!! Now I put aside all of our plane toys and only bring them out for flights, keeps them new!

Good luck, I'm sure they'll be fine!

Thank you all so much for the advice, suggestions AND encouragement that things will go well. I need positive attitudes like that to keep me from stressing out about it ahead of time plus keeping my attitude right at the time also. I know oh so well that how the parents (and especially mom's) attitude about things totally wears off/is mimicked by the children. So I gotta keep positive about this...... my mantra: "It's going to go beautifully. Everything will be fine, kids will have a blast, other passengers will NOT be bothered by us" LOL

The only reason I worry about behavior is because it's the first time flying and my kids can be unpredictable at times. Sometimes angels...... sometimes.... well..... you know. LOL You just never can tell with them. LOL

So I really appreciate all the suggestions and positive attitudes about it!

I'm not sure still on the carseat. In fact I'm beginning to think hers won't even fit.... Britax seats are too big for flight seats I think! And even if it turns out it does fit- I'm not sure how she's going to react. Sure she's used to being in it in the van- but not when others (especially children) are not having to sit in carseats and/or seat belts (such as shoulder belts) that she can see they aren't- plus being able to get up and go to the bathroom/etc. I can see that possibly setting her off and then at that point we'd have no choice. She'll have to sit in the seat and I really don't want her screaming and ruining everyone else's trip not to mention stressing me out also. LOL Anyway, if the carseat will fit in the flight seat- I'll have to keep thinking on what would be the best choice. I'm all for safety- don't get me wrong. But honestly at that point she's probably going to be as big as my just turned 6yr old (by the time of the trip). She's not much smaller than he is NOW. LOL And he won't be in a carseat.... (he's 10lbs more than her now- and thinning out more and more each day. He's only taller in legs- when they sit next to each other they are about the same height! He's my shorty... and she's not tall for her age either! -poor little guy. LOL)

Again, thank you SO much for your posts on this thread. I really and truly appreciate it! You are all the best!!!

My Dh and I have 3 DDs, and we've flown to Disney quite a few times, although we do mostly drive there. Its about a 12 hr drive, compared to 1.5 hrs flying. But, when you're paying for 5 to fly, driving is MUCH cheaper!

Anyway, my suggestion would be to check the car seat. My DDs flew at younger than 1 (and they sat on my lap), and when the youngest was 3 - she liked sitting in her own seat and putting her seatbelt on just like the rest of us. I brought along a favorite stuffed animal, coloring books, etc. About 5 minutes into the flight, she laid down and went to sleep - and slept the whole ride there. (She also slept the whole flight home, through dinner and didn't wake up until we were pulling into the driveway!!)

Don't worry - the kids will do fine. What I've been doing for my girls is a few months before we leave, I start buying little treats (like candy, gum, disposable camera, word search books, etc) I buy a little each week so its not so expensive all at one time. The kids like looking through their bag and seeing what they have (and I have two teenagers who still look for their bags!!)

One little side note...When my youngest DD was 5, we were flying to Disney and for months before the trip, she was so excited! She was hoping we'd fly over her school so she could wave to her friends. Well, we get on the plane and just as it starts to back up, she says she doesn't want to do this. Well, when the engines started up and we were going down the runway, she started screaming and crying - the look of terror on her face was so sad. I'm trying to hug her and reassure her, but she is terrified and I'm thinking this is going to be a LONG flight! After Allison started crying, a lot of the kids around us started crying. Fortunately, once the plane leveled off, she stopped crying and I got her school work out and some coloring and things were fine. When the pilot said we would begin our descent in Orlando, I told Allison to start looking for Cinderella's Castle. We also had a contest to see who could tell when the plane first touched the ground. She did fine. She was also OK on the flight back, although she was still scared. Last year, she flew again, but Daddy was with her and she hugged him very tightly!!!

Good luck - and yall have a great time!!! We'll be back at Disney in October (flying again)!!!!

If your Britax seat is a Roundabout, it will definitely fit. Also, it's not like it's a free-for-all on the plane. Kids aren't really walking up and down the aisles. Yes, they will be up to go to the bathroom but if she's busy, she won't even notice. If she's not in underwear, then there's no reason for her to get up, right?

Oh yeah, and I forgot the food...bring lots of snacks for the plane!!

Just wanted to share this incase you do decide to use the car seat on the plane...

When we have flown with a car seat, we had to use it in the window seat. They told us it was a regulation. I think this was on Continental.

My children were younger than yours when we flew last, so I can't help much on activities. I did try to bring quiet things so as not to disturb those around us.

This trip the kids will be 3 & 5, so it should be interesting. Hope you have a great flight & a magical vacation!

Rut-roh... I hope my very excited 5yr old (now- will turn 6 just 10 days before the flight/trip) doesn't decide to be scared once on the plane! But thanks for letting me know how it went- so I can prepare for that. LOL

My youngest would be in panties. She's potty trained now and so definitely would be by then- and I wouldn't want to put pullups on her then and tell her to just go in her pullup.... that might back track us back to having accidents. No thanks. LOL

I have flown before. It's just my kids that haven't. So yes, I do know that kids aren't going to be walking up and down the aisles a lot or anything like that. But I also know that within 3-4hrs my OWN children are going to ask to go to the bathroom and she'll see them getting up. Plus they'll be sitting with lap belts- instead of my son in a britax booster (still using the 5pt because he's too short IMO for the shoulder belt) and oldest in shoulder belt. Even NOW I know she'd notice that and be upset that she has to be "different" and still in her carseat- so I'm sure she'll notice it even more then. This is why I'm thinking so hard about whether to bring it on the plane or not. I could try to make sure she was kept mega-busy to not notice though. :)

I wonder if she'd have to have a window seat on Delta. Hmmm

Thanks again!

bring lots of paper and scotch tape... really lol. We just returned from San Francisco (5 hours flying time) and it went really well (kids are 5,3,3). They taped up all the paper... taped the snack boxed Southwest gave us, lol, taped napkins together.. lol.. I had heard aomeone tell jay Leno the someone told him to bring tape and it really worked.. so I tried it and I definitely recommend it. we spent abotu 45 minutes taping stuff and then 15 more untaping things lol...

The FAA recommendation on carseat width is 16 inches at the base. If it not wider than that, it should fit, though the sticker is necessary if you want to use it onboard. Carseats usually will NOT fit in bulkhead seats, because you almost always must raise the armrests to be able to secure it into position. I always used ours with DS until he reached 40 lbs.; he knew that there was no arguing over sitting still when in that seat. Also, it raised him up high enough to easily see out of the window.

You are required to put the carseat in the window position, except in a widebody, where it can also go in the center seat of the center section. Carseats may not be used in the rows immediately in front of the exit rows, either, BTW. If you plan to use the seat onboard, tell the reservations agent when you book the tickets, or if you didn't, call back and do so, in case you'll need the seats reassigned.

Your best bet with that many people in a group is to sit in two rows before and behind; stringing out crosswise is more trouble if things will be passed around. BTW, make sure that each of you has a water bottle to drink from; it often takes forever for the FA's to get around to bringing it, and that way you will have it to relieve pressure at takeoff and landing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter