tipping

4firsttimes

Earning My Ears
Some time back, I remember seeing something about tipping when staying at WDW resorts. Can anyone help me out? We will be staying in a deluxe room at WL.

OK, basically you tip the valet who gets your car, and the one who brings you your car, as they may not be the same, and they don't pool their tips. We usually tip $2.

Tip the bellhop $1 per bag when he takes them to your room and when he delivers them from your room when your vacation is done.

Mousekeeping: Disney doesn't consider this a tipped position, however, we always tip because we feel that the mousekeepers do a great job and have to clean up messes (not necessarily in our room) that are beyond our comprehension. We usually tip $1/day per person in the room, and more if little extras like washcloth animals are made, or our DD's stuffed animals are arranged creatively.

Restaurant service: 15-20% at all sitdown restaurants, including buffets.

Concierge: have never stayed there, so don't know the protocol.

These are just guidelines, and examples of what we tip, others may have other ideas or guidelines that they follow.

Hope this helps!

Assuming you are talking about tipping housekeeping, it's optional. Some people do, others don't.

I do. I tip $1-2 per person per day. If I'm getting turndown service I leave another $2 total in the evening for that.

If they do something special I leave more.

It is your choice to tip or not to tip housekeeping. Other positions such as wait staff, valets, and bell services expect tips, and are paid lower wages in the assumption that they will be tipped.

Anne

Originally posted by eeyore0062

Concierge: have never stayed there, so don't know the protocol.

Generally they do not acept tips. I always bring a box of Godiva chocolates for them as a gift.

Anne

Another tipping issue -- You arrive at a resort and bell services takes your bags from the car and puts them on a cart. Do you give them a tip at that point? Then you enter the resort, check-in and your bags are brought to your room. Another tip? Or do you only tip when the bags are brought to your room? This can be confusing! Anyone?

You arrive at a resort and bell services takes your bags from the car and puts them on a cart. Do you give them a tip at that point? Then you enter the resort, check-in and your bags are brought to your room. Another tip? Or do you only tip when the bags are brought to your room?

I tip them both. When in doubt, tip. Its a fact of life that a good tipper will receive better service. May not be "fair", but it happens, so its best to make it work for you rather than fight it.

Personally, I'd rather be noted as the guy who tipped a little more or tipped when he didn't have to than the guy who didn't tip in what turned out to be a tipping situation.

DISCLAIMER: That's just my way of going about it, and I've found that it works for me. I'm not preaching to anyone, just answering the questions that were asked with my advice.

I would have to agree that it is better to tip than to not. However, that being said, I added up our tips for our 9 day stay last October/November and it came to over $500.00.

That includes transport, wait staff, bellman, housekeeping ship's captain and I think I even tipped my kid a buck. Most of it went to wait staff, $30 for tranport to and from airport, $55 or $60 for mousekeeping, $20 for bellman and $20 for other luggage handlers.

Overall, I thought I got what I paid for and was thrilled with the service.

Just an FYI that when I stayed at CSR in Dec. the gentleman who took our bags from the car and placed on cart would not accept a tip from me. He instructed me to hold my tip for the bellhop who would bring the bags to our room. So it appears that double tipping is not expected.

Thanks for the information! I was mostly wondering about Mousekeeping. The others are pretty standard to me.

Mousekeeping is a some do, and some don't situation. So you won't be considered a wierdo no matter which you do.

When DH and I stayed at CSR last November, we left Mousekeeping a tip in an envelope on the last day. Now I'm wondering if it should be done each day? What's the protocol here?

Thanks-
Erin

We normally Tip mousekeeping daily. I'm not sure if this is the reason but mousekeeping usually leaves us with extra towels, shampoo, etc..

Tom...

we tipped daily because why should one person get the big tip at the end of our trip especially if different people had been cleaning our room. heck someone could have been off all week and comes back and cleans our room once and they get a weeks worth of tips. thats just how we look at it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter