Tipping Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
*This is how I look at it, and it is only my opinion.

They work extremely hard in a low-paying thankless job.

Disney may consider it a non-tip position, but I've tipped at every hotel I've ever stayed at and I'm plan to continue. Not tipping in a hotel is the same as not tipping a waitress who did a good job serving you at a restaurant.

I've had family members who've done this type of work at the beach summers to pay for college, and without tips, they don't make much.

If I can afford the thousands of dollars I'm spending to visit WDW, I can afford $5 a day to show appreciation for someone working hard to keep my room clean.

Just my opinion.

Exactly! :thumbsup2

I'm confused after reading this thread,
some are saying that you're not meant to tip as Disney consider it a non-tipping posistion.
some are saying disney want you to tip 3-5 dollars a day
some are saying that unless you tip you get inferior service.

I don't believe you would receive inferior service for not tipping. I do believe though that most housekeeping staff is very appreciative when a guest does tip them. I've actually had "thank you" notes from housekeepers and maybe an extra bottle or 2 of shampoo! :goodvibes

Housekeeping staff earn a low wage (at most hotels, not just Disney) and they do a job that I would never want to do -- I would feel guilty not tipping them (and I don't expect anything in return - just a clean room ;)).

My philosophy is "Let your conscience be your guide"! :rolleyes1

As long as "Disney considers it a non tipping position" doesn't mean that they are not allowed to keep their tips, I will tip.
I tip everybody in service positions, especially for such hard work with such a low income. I don't care what Disney says about it, I feel better when I tip.

I'm confused after reading this thread,
some are saying that you're not meant to tip as Disney consider it a non-tipping posistion.
some are saying disney want you to tip 3-5 dollars a day
some are saying that unless you tip you get inferior service.

You don't have to tip nor will you get inferior service. They have a job to do and there are standards whether they get tipped or not. It's a concience thing. A lot of people do tip and I refuse to be the person who doesn't when they are cleaning up my stuff at $8 an hour. I plan tips into my vacations or I don't go.

I'm actually shocked when I see posts of people who are so proud of not tipping.

Exactly! :thumbsup2

I don't believe you would receive inferior service for not tipping. I do believe though that most housekeeping staff is very appreciative when a guest does tip them. I've actually had "thank you" notes from housekeepers and maybe an extra bottle or 2 of shampoo! :goodvibes

Housekeeping staff earn a low wage (at most hotels, not just Disney) and they do a job that I would never want to do -- I would feel guilty not tipping them (and I don't expect anything in return - just a clean room ;)).

My philosophy is "Let your conscience be your guide"! :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2

I know if I were making that wage, I'd likely work harder for someone who tips than someone who doesn't.

This article sums up my feelings very well.
http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/do-you-tip-your-hotel-maid/

I don't like that we have to tip so many people nowadays. It's crap that they aren't paid better when their CEOs make so much. But when you don't tip, it's the hard workers with crappy wages that suffer. So I tip.

We tip $1 a day per person. We make up envelopes ahead of time and leave one each day. We know we don't have to but cleaning up after other people is a yuck job and I think they deserve it. The last day we leave a little more, just because we want to.

So, i see a lot of people talking about leaving money in envelopes. Do you have to do that? If I leave a few bucks on a table, will they take it? It's just never something I have thought about. I think a few hotels I stayed in had "housekeeping" envelopes already in the room.

I put a note on it for them to be clear. They have to be careful what they take.

so lets say, you leave $5 a day, the mousekeeper may clean 20 rooms that day. lets assume that only half of them tip. thats $50 per day extra on top of their wage. working a 5 day weeks thats $250 a week, $1000 a month in tips.

on top of their wage. This is insane money.

Tipping for non-tipped posistions such as Mousekeeping is not needed and should only be done after you receive service above and beyond the norm which is worth tipping extra for.

So, i see a lot of people talking about leaving money in envelopes. Do you have to do that? If I leave a few bucks on a table, will they take it? It's just never something I have thought about. I think a few hotels I stayed in had "housekeeping" envelopes already in the room.

I don't make envelopes up, but there is usually a little card with the housekeeper's name and I'll put the money right by that -- or I put the money with the soap/shampoo on the bathroom counter. The housekeeper will usually know it's their tip. ;)

so lets say, you leave $5 a day, the mousekeeper may clean 20 rooms that day. lets assume that only half of them tip. thats $50 per day extra on top of their wage. working a 5 day weeks thats $250 a week, $1000 a month in tips.

on top of their wage. This is insane money.

Tipping for non-tipped posistions such as Mousekeeping is not needed and should only be done after you receive service above and beyond the norm which is worth tipping extra for.

I doubt half the guests tip. :sad2:

Yes i consider $12000 a year in tips, to be insane for a part-time job.

I don't want to debate you, but it's not a part-time job and 99% of them don't get $12,000/yr in tips -- but even if they do, they earn every bit of it.

So we're in agreement - you're not a tipper, I am. :)

That's not part time, that is full time. But to each their own, justify it out how you want. A 5 day a week job making 30k a year with tips is still not a great wage imo. In fact, I may have to start tipping more after doing that math.

With no tips at $8 an hour, that's roughly 16k a year. If you think that's a good wage for someone to clean up after you, then don't tip. Whatever you are comfortable with.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

When we stayed at POR 2 years ago we forgot to leave a tip each day (so we tipped on the day we left). The only "washcloth/towel figure" we got was the one left for us on the day we checked in. My parents got one everyday. Knowing my father, he probably left a small tip everyday. I was just wondering if there is a correlation between the them. In other words, tip= fun washcloth figures?

My understanding is that they aren't required to do things like that, just clean your room. If they do it, it's at their discretion. Obviously they are more likely to go above and beyond if you are taking care of them.

$8.25 x 40 hrs a week x 52 weeks = $17,160. Even $12000 in tips added leaves this person with a yearly wage of $29,160 (and you know they're not getting that much, most folks leave a buck or two a night).

Even if you think this alot of money (I certainly don't), if NOBODY tipped them they'd be living on $17, 160 a year, and nobody with even a hint of common sense could consider that a decent wage.

BTW, this is their living, it isn't some part time job!

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

It's possible, because all they really owe you is a clean room. But it could be that the workload was redistributed and you got a different CM after the first day. No way to really know.

We only have gotten them one time (see avatar), and the CM DIDN't take the tips we left on the dresser the first couple of nights. We were by another CM that needed to make it clear that the money is intended for them or they won't take it, so DS started leaving notes on top of the $$ to let her know.

Our avatar was the last day of our trip. We came back from our day out and found all the animals together with a giant elephant in the center. DW's favorite one was the day we came in and found a mouse on the floor coming out of a paper cup! :cloud9:

It's possible, because all they really owe you is a clean room. But it could be that the workload was redistributed and you got a different CM after the first day. No way to really know.

We only have gotten them one time (see avatar), and the CM DIDN't take the tips we left on the dresser the first couple of nights. We were by another CM that needed to make it clear that the money is intended for them or they won't take it, so DS started leaving notes on top of the $$ to let her know.

Our avatar was the last day of our trip. We came back from our day out and found all the animals together with a giant elephant in the center. DW's favorite one was the day we came in and found a mouse on the floor coming out of a paper cup! :cloud9:

Awww, I wanna see your pic bigger and I can't.

Bonniec said:
That's not part time, that is full time. But to each their own, justify it out how you want. A 5 day a week job making 30k a year with tips is still not a great wage imo. In fact, I may have to start tipping more after doing that math.

With no tips at $8 an hour, that's roughly 16k a year. If you think that's a good wage for someone to clean up after you, then don't tip. Whatever you are comfortable with.

I agree Bonniec. $12,000 is insane, but not in a good way (is that even possible? ;)

It's actually just enough to bump a family of four up above the poverty line. The POVERTY line. As in, barely not starving.

So yeah, rabbitroger, tip or don't tip on your luxury vacation, but don't justify it by claiming the housekeepers are living the high life cashing in on your $5 tip.

Do you offer a tip to the staff in the parks who clean the toilets? That has to be a disgusting job. And I'm sure they don't make any more than the housekeepers. Do you tip the groundskeepers who pick up the trash?

Unless, like a PP stated where her daughter got sick and threw up all over the bed, housekeepers don't require tipping for doing their regular job. Extra stuff like vomit? Yes. If you keep the room like a pigsty and they can't even find the towels or beds? Yes.

I hope when you go to Walmart you tip the guy stacking the shelves, the cashier & the bagger. Similarly when you are at your resort, you tip the gardeners around the resort, the lifeguards at the pool and all the drivers.

Add a bit of Tarantino....

Mr. Pink: Jesus Christ man, these ladies aren't starving to death. They make minimum wage. You know, I used to work minimum wage and when I did I wasn't lucky enough to have a job the society deemed tipworthy.
Mr. Blue: You don't care if they're counting on your tips to live?
Mr. Pink: [rubbing his middle finger and thumb together] You know what this is? The world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses.
Mr. White: You don't have any idea what you're talking about. These people bust their ***. This is a hard job.
Mr. Pink: So is working at McDonald's, but you don't see anyone tip them, do you? Why not, they're serving you food. But no, society says don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here. It's ********!

Do you offer a tip to the staff in the parks who clean the toilets? That has to be a disgusting job. And I'm sure they don't make any more than the housekeepers. Do you tip the groundskeepers who pick up the trash?

Unless, like a PP stated where her daughter got sick and threw up all over the bed, housekeepers don't require tipping for doing their regular job. Extra stuff like vomit? Yes. If you keep the room like a pigsty and they can't even find the towels or beds? Yes.

I respectfully disagree. I'd bet that groundskeepers make at least $13 to $15 an hour. They may classify housekeeping as a non-tipping job, but they pay them a wage that shows that they know they will be tipped. Tipping housekeeping at a hotel is a universal thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter