Tipping on Magical Express

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
I took the Magical Express last month to and from my resort. I noticed that almost no one tipped the driver. I think there were one or two other families that tipped, besides me, on the way to the resort. I was literally the only one that I saw tip him on the way back to the airport. I was really surprised and felt badly for him I can't imagine not tipping a driver who is handling your luggage. Is this not common?

I felt the same way last trip! On the way back to the airport we had carryon bags that were a bit to big to bring onboard and we did tip. Since our bags were unloaded close to last I watched most people just grab the bags and leave - it was surprising few people with large bags and strollers tipped the driver.

With no bags underneath I don't always tip - depends on the driver but when someone handles my bags I always tip.

I took the Magical Express last month to and from my resort. I noticed that almost no one tipped the driver. I think there were one or two other families that tipped, besides me, on the way to the resort. I was literally the only one that I saw tip him on the way back to the airport. I was really surprised and felt badly for him I can't imagine not tipping a driver who is handling your luggage. Is this not common?
The ME driver doesn't touch my carry on (it goes on the bus with me) so why would I tip them?

Of course, you don't know what "tipping culture" these guests came from.
"He touches my bag, he gets a tip." Now, think about this... WHY? Isn't it his job to load/unload bags? The only answer to 'Why' is "because".

OP specifically mentioned handling of luggage.
There are some people who believe anyone you come into contact with at Disney deserves a tip. Saying almost no one tipped the driver means everyone on the bus, not just those who have luggage underneath.

To clarify - I tip the ME driver whether they help me with my bags or not. But, in this case there are a large group of people waiting to get their bags from underneath the bus...so he had helped all of those people with their luggage...and they still didn't tip.

There are some people who believe anyone you come into contact with at Disney deserves a tip. Saying almost no one tipped the driver means everyone on the bus, not just those who have luggage underneath.

In the context of "I can't imagine not tipping someone who is handling your luggage"

To clarify - I tip the ME driver whether they help me with my bags or not. But, in this case there are a large group of people waiting to get their bags from underneath the bus...so he had helped all of those people with their luggage...and they still didn't tip.
Just as I suspected.

Just as I suspected.

You really can't see the OP was talking about OTHER PEOPLE, who had their bags under the bus, not tipping??

"In this case there are a large group of people waiting to get their bags from underneath the bus"

Goodbye.

I only tip the ME driver when he stows my bags under the bus. Usually I just have a small tote bag or back pack, and my bags are being directly delivered to my room, so I don't have bags underneath, and don't tip him/her. On the rare occasion that I do have bags under the bus, I tip $1 per bag.

Why tip him when he's not handling your bags? If he's not handling your bags, he's no different than the driver that drives the bus from the resort to the park. Do you tip that guy, too?

I'm like Steve Martin in my blue heaven, I tip everyone and I tip them too much just get a rise out of the people who feel the need to get pissy when others like to spread the love around :tiptoe:. Actually that's not true, I tip cause it makes me feel good.

And if you haven't seen the movie, it's a must see, even if you have to pay for it :).

I'm like Steve Martin in my blue heaven, I tip everyone and I tip them too much just get a rise out of the people who feel the need to get pissy when others like to spread the love around :tiptoe:. Actually that's not true, I tip cause it makes me feel good.

And if you haven't seen the movie, it's a must see, even if you have to pay for it :).
:laughing:

There is signage, at the front of the bus, that gratuities are gratefully accepted. Well, of course they are. BUT.....a DME bus driver shouldn't expect a tip if he did no more than drive the bus. Now, if he stows your bag, then sure, feel free to tip him/her. That's different.
A story......I used DME, with a largish bag, that had to be stowed. Okay, I had money for a tip in my pocket. That driver said not one word to me as I handed him my bag, or as I boarded the bus. He said nothing to anyone...I watched! The only things he said were announcing the resort we had just arrived at, followed by 'tips are always accepted for good service'. Ah, no. Not a word as people got off the bus...just the name of the resort and asking for a tip. My tip stayed in my pocket!
On the other hand, I had just a tote bag with me on another DME ride. The driver welcomed each and every person to his bus..he was cheerful and clearly enjoyed what he was doing. He drove at a nice pace, but very safely. He kept up an interesting monologue about the area, lots of neat tidbits about what to see and do other than WDW. He bid each guest farewell at the door, helping people off his bus. It was a joy to watch. He got a $5 tip from me, even though he never touched a bag!

I have had the exact same experience, goofy4tink. I tip based on merit. And yes, it's subjective.

Heading to the resort I never have a bag but I have tipped when the driver is going above and beyond - and not just to me; I have tipped a driver when I see them going above for others.
Heading to the airport I almost always tip because the drive pulls bags. However if the driver does nothing but the job I keep the tip in my pocket.
Regarding the OP (ToyStory3) I almost never see anyone else tipping the driver.

We tip the MDE drivers, because we LIKE to give the employees some magical Pixie Dust back. ;)
Also because we have luggage that has to be stowed, especially since we have to bring the massive car seat with us...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter