• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping Mousekeepers during vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)
That may just be it :)

I think it's social class as well. Those who come from more affluent families tend to follow the older etiquette forms, which include tipping service employees at hotels. My grandparents tipped, so my parents tipped, so I tip, and my children will learn from me.

My husband's family was more working class, and they'd never heard of tipping maids at the hotel.

We had a group of 3 and boy were we messy! We tipped $5 a day! I had never heard of it until reading DIS but we decided to do it. We were very disappointed though because we made the cute envelopes and they were never taken! Even when we set multiple out they only took the money and no envelope!

We tipped a few dollars a day. We also left all of our unopened water (ordered from Garden Grocer) for our housekeeper. We told her that it was there on our way out and she kept thanking us and was EXTREMELY grateful. Even more grateful for the water than the tip...LOL!

I'm happily from the south and have always tipped as long as they have done their job properly dde1bdde1bdde1bdde1bdde1b SO maybe it's just a some people do some people don't thing

I'm from the north (Michigan) and always tip housekeepers at WDW or anywhere else. My parents both grew up on hard working farms and never stayed in hotels until after they married, but they have always tipped. Typically at places other than WDW, the housekeepers leave a thank you note if we are there more than one night.

Whereas, I know tipping for this isn't necessary, and I don't feel OBLIGATED...it's generally my pleasure. At home, I confess...I don't always make my own bed. The horror, I know. So, coming back from the parks dead tired and sweaty and finding a crisply made bed is such a delight!

In fact, me and DS have a signature way we tip. It's something we've cooked up that passes along Disney Magic to the CM. I'm gonna be a snot and not disclose what we do that's unique, because as I said, it's our signature.:goodvibes I'm there having the time of my life, living it up, eating out every night, watching fireworks...I want to pass this along.

I understand they make a fair amount of money, and I'm not beyond withholding the tip if the room was messy or requests and standards were not met or exceeded. That'd be something else, and luckily I've never been in that position.

And I've never had a Mousekeeper stand there expectantly for a tip, unlike..bell services. Ugh. I feel better about tipping mousekeeping.

:offtopic: I've arrived at a resort where my towncar driver was supposed to unload my luggage, but instead let someone she seemed to know well from bell services step in and do it. Well, I knew well enough that I had to tip her. But I sure as hell wasn't going to encourage that tag teaming, because that same fellow wasn't going to be the one to shuffle my bags up to my room, where I would have to tip again. I felt scammed and when he stood there, I smiled pleasantly, thanked him and went in to check in. The nerve. / end rant.

I tip when someone brings something to my trip and doesn't expect anything in return. I'm not cheap by any standard. But I won't be pressured out of a tip that someone didn't deserve.

We usually tipped $2 a day for two adults, and we kept the room pretty neat. Every so often we might have a day where we were out of cash, so the following day we would then leave a five, since it seems we generally would have the same staff during our stay. I believe we added a dollar in when my sister-in-law came with, so it was about a dollar a day per person as many others have said. Sometimes we left more on the final day, and if the maid went the extra mile in providing us with things we'd sometimes throw more in then too. :)

If someone is scrubbing my toilet, they are getting a tip.

LOL! I alway stip and I thought that I left a decent amount but my DH disagreed. He was shocked that I was so "cheap" because "That little girl is cleaning our toilet. Don't be so cheap!" :lmao: If he sees our housekeeper he will often give him or her an additional tip, especially since we go through so many towels.
I think it's social class as well. Those who come from more affluent families tend to follow the older etiquette forms, which include tipping service employees at hotels. My grandparents tipped, so my parents tipped, so I tip, and my children will learn from me.

My husband's family was more working class, and they'd never heard of tipping maids at the hotel.

Oh, I am not sure this is a fair statement. I tip and I am as working class as you can get. My DH is a truck driver and if you tried to tell him he was any thing other than a blue collar man, he would faint. :rotfl2: People wither think tipping is appropriate or they do not. And FWIW, I don't think either mindset is wrong. You do what is comfortable for you, but it isn't nice to suggest that social class has anything to do with it.

LOL! I alway stip and I thought that I left a decent amount but my DH disagreed. He was shocked that I was so "cheap" because "That little girl is cleaning our toilet. Don't be so cheap!" :lmao: If he sees our housekeeper he will often give him or her an additional tip, especially since we go through so many towels.

Oh, I am not sure this is a fair statement. I tip and I am as working class as you can get. My DH is a truck driver and if you tried to tell him he was any thing other than a blue collar man, he would faint. :rotfl2: People wither think tipping is appropriate or they do not. And FWIW, I don't think either mindset is wrong. You do what is comfortable for you, but it isn't nice to suggest that social class has anything to do with it.

I agree. I am far from affluent and I always tip, as did my parents. My husband is a blue collar worker and is a big tipper.

I grew up working class (mom hairdresser, dad sheetrock worker) and my family on both sides is frugal (farmers and soldiers), as well as both my parents were later in life babies so my grandparents were depression era survivors. I come from a long line of penny pinchers, make do withouter's, and use it up till it wears out.

My parents are good tippers and taught my brother and I to be as well. I've been tipping hotel staff before this was ever a hot topic on these boards.

Bellmen's job is to move bags around we tip them, valet's job is to park a car we tip them, maids job is to clean the room we tip them.

A few dollars a day (and a good attitude and a smile to those who don't get tips) are not going to hurt me (and might even score me a few Karma points) and is going to make someone elses day a little better. I consider that a win win situation.

I don't think tipping is required, everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.

Just curious if any of you have any input.

You're not required to tip the housekeepers, but you can if you would like to. Amount is up to you. That's all the input I have.

We do tip but won't do so until our check out day. We've also been very fortunate to have gotten some very nice mousekeepers in all our stays.

We do tip but won't do so until our check out day. We've also been very fortunate to have gotten some very nice mousekeepers in all our stays.

The only issue with this is that you may not be leaving the tip for the person who has cared for your room during your stay. Your checkout day may have another mousekeeper who will get the benefit.

I always have my envelopes ready before we leave. I know how much for each day, label the day (actually, I don't do a thing, my DD makes cute envelopes for me :goodvibes and I just fill them) and leave one a day. WDW is no different than any other trip, tips are factored into my budget so I have them ready. I will adjust if necessary, so they are not sealed. We are not messy, and i have an issue with dirty wet towels, or sloppy beds so if I see the cart I will haul the towels out to the laundry bag, and I always straighten the beds.

It is what it is.

Some people tip because other people do, some because they got exceptional service, some because they feel sorry for the worker, and some, just because.

The guy cleaning the public restroom, the bus driver who puts up with all sorts of people, the guy that valet parks your car in the heat and the rain, all get paid less than Mousekeeping. Mousekeeping has a bonus program and they can leave early and get paid for it, they also get to take all kinds of things home left by the guests, food, toys, things too big to pack.

Our family doesn't tip.

:earsboy: Bill

Before every WDW trip, I go to the bank and get a bunch of $5 bills.

We use these to tip Mousekeeping and bell services (we do split stays, so we end up tipping bell services multiple times).

The first morning after our arrival I put a $20 in our mousekeeper's hand, "Su propina. Gracias." Then I ask her name (it's always a her) and say that if I am not there to give it to her personally she will find an envelope with her name on it taped to the mirror. There are 4 of us staying and I usually put $5 in it per day along with any written special requests.

I've been in the room during a mousekeeping visit. It's a 40-50 minute job. So a mousekeeper with seniority might possibly be earning the max of $13.50 an hour, most likely she's closer to the starting wage of $10 or $11 which is barely subsistance wages. If a cashier at Walmart spent 40 minutes ringing up my beer and frozen pizza I would probably tip that person too.

My family all (even the kiddos) work hard through the year, and we look for opportunities to help those with fewer options than us whenever we can, That doesn't stop when we are on vacation. If I'm spending $6-7k on a 10 day vacation, I would feel like a tool complaining about giving an extra 1% of that to the girl who gets the stains out of our toilet.

I've printed out some pre-made mouse keeping envelopes and plan on leaving $1 per person in our family ($3 a day).

We leave $5 per day. There are three of us. I've never considered not tipping housekeepers or any other service employees (cab drivers, valets, porters, hair stylists, manicurists, massage therapists, waiters, newspaper delivery people, take-out delivery people). I thought it was customary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter