Tipping House Cleaners

John's Mom

Jambo Wildbunch Gang
My daughter and her husband just bought a house. It is extremely dirty :eek:. She is hiring a cleaning company to do a deep cleaning before they move in.

Does she tip them? If so, how much?

She is seriously considering hiring them to clean her home once or twice a month.

They charge by the hour.

Would appreciate any input. TIA.

I have a cleaning lady who comes twice a month - I tip her at the end of the year at Christmas, an amount eqivalent to the cost of one visit.

For a one time cleaning, if they charge a set rate regardless of how dirty the house is and your daughter thinks her house is dirtier than the norm, I would definitely tip, in deciding how much to tip I would take into account the cost of the cleaning, # of cleaners, how dirty the house is, how good of a job they did, etc.

I have a cleaning lady who comes twice a month - I tip her at the end of the year at Christmas, an amount eqivalent to the cost of one visit.

For a one time cleaning, if they charge a set rate regardless of how dirty the house is and your daughter thinks her house is dirtier than the norm, I would definitely tip, in deciding how much to tip I would take into account the cost of the cleaning, # of cleaners, how dirty the house is, how good of a job they did, etc.

They charge by the hour.

I too have a cleaning lady (not a cleaning service) who comes every 2 weeks. At Christmas I give her a gift equal to 4% of the amount I pay her for a year, which works out to an amount just over her usual payment. I use 4% because it is the amount of money that local employers usually factor in as vacation pay for employees.

Well it depends

First is it the actual 'owner' of the company that are coming to clean, or if it someone who is working for a cleaning company.

Actual owner, I tip less, workers I tip more. It is a tough job coming in and cleaning someone's dirty toilets and scrubbing greasy range hoods and such. Most of these folks work really hard for the few bucks they actually make, especially if they are the employee and get an hourly rate. Some only make minimun wage to scrub a dirty toilet.

Be generous!!

I vote no.

I dont get the hype that society is trying to make it where you have to tip on every single service you ever get.

Yes, there are services where the general rule is to tip, resturants, hair cut, etc. The wide spread public knows those ppl earn lower wages and depend on the tips. But if you think about it, what other "services" do you tip on ? Oil change (no) Computer repair (no) dry cleaning (no), you get my point :)

You're already paying their hourly fee. If they want to add a "deep clean " charge, they can. If she stated the condition of the home, and they probably have a good understanding of the scope of work. Thats why companies have a specific move in / move out cleaning service.

I tipped the carpet cleaners when they came 3 months ago, 10 minutes later he was ringing my door bell to return the $20. He thought I had over paid. I told him it was a tip and to use it for lunch money. He was very suprised I had tipped him, he said it had been years since anybody tipped him anything.

If she were employing someone who she used regularly, I'd say a tip would be appropriate around the holidays; holiday pay or present= tip.

For a "one shot" deal, I'd not think tipping would be required. It's their job. I don't tip my dentist or grocery cashier or the lady at the dry cleaner's even though she's very helpful marking the spots that need additional attention.

I usually have a cleaning co. Come once a month, and I have never tipped them. I haven't used them since we moved into our new house, but I will.

This is exactly what we do too.

I have a cleaning lady..well she dresses as a maid,

I always tip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter