Tipping camp counselors?

With all due respect, I think you're taking the thread on a bit of an ugly turn here. It isn't a question as to whether or not one can afford to tip. AFAIC, that's not even part of the equation. The question is whether or not the practice is appropriate or expected and I'd like it to remain there if possible.

I'm sorry you are so poor, LOG. I hope it gets better for you. Next year maybe you should put out an inflatable pool and some fruit cups and call it a day :rotfl: You're so uncouth to even be asking :snooty:

(OP knows I'm messing with him; he and I go back a few years..)

Oy. My kids have been going to camps for the past 12 years. Never once did I consider tipping counselors, nor does this thread change my mind to do so when DD leaves for camp in a week and a half.

Day camps and over night camps in Illinois (Girl Scouts and faith-based) -- private Christian overnight camps in upstate NY.

When does the cost of a service just remain the cost of the service without feeling like we should tip above and beyond?

My daughter works at a camp.

She is a lifeguard, teaches swim lessons and is a bus counselor. She has campers with developmental delays as well as students as young as 4 to 17 on her bus. She had to get Epi Pen trained for this years bus route. She also volunteers to teach swimming to the campers with special needs- no other lifeguard volunteered.

She gets TIPS! Last year she got more tips than her salary (which was only a few hundred dollars for 8 weeks of work) Last year she was pool staff-- not a certified lifeguard, as she is this year.

She gets tips as a swim lesson teacher (usually unheard of), and tips as a bus counselor, and tips as a lifeguard (usually unheard of)

In fact the camp she works websites states that tipping can be done-- and gives suggested amounts. Did she get a tip from everyone? No-- she got some notes, cards, candy and quite a bit of CASH (over $500 worth- almost $600)

This year she has gotten a few tips already-- all cash. Parents also ask if she will babysit for them as well- so she has steady babysitting gigs from this camp.

Some counselors make less than $100 a week. Is it there choice to take the counselor job? Yes, but it is difficult to find teen jobs around here (most places are all over 18). The bunk counselors get tips to offset the wages.

That's not even minimum wage. How is that legal?

I'm sorry you are so poor, LOG. I hope it gets better for you. Next year maybe you should put out an inflatable pool and some fruit cups and call it a day :rotfl: You're so uncouth to even be asking :snooty:

(OP knows I'm messing with him; he and I go back a few years..)

:crazy2:

It really does seem regional as another poster had mentioned, although I don't think I would tip for GS or VBS camp, although maybe a small gift card would be appreciated.

I totally understand and expected to tip at Summer camp but VBS??? Offerings were normally strongly encouraged but tipping- never heard of that. I thought most people who did it viewed it as a ministry. My DD volunteered one year during high school for the community service hours.

My girls love it!! I'm not talking about tipping boatloads, but a thank you card with a small gift. I def don't see it as an insult, as another poster stated.

Didn't get a chance to read all posts but I work in child care and therefore in the summer end up working camp. Our camp is good quality, and expensive- $285/wk per kid with no discounts offered. Our staff while some are young 18/19 only make 325/wk working 45 hours. Some senior staff can make up to 450 but usually end up working more hours( we are salaried). Tips are not a requirement or even the norm where I live but for everything camp counselors put up with it's nice to get something. Once a parent brought me a bottle of wine when she was 10 min late on a Friday pickup. That works for me :)

Count me in the group that has never heard of tipping camp counselors. Weird.

• I went to an 8 week day camp in NJ from 5-8 years old
  • I went to a sleep away (4 or 8 week program) camp in the Poconos from 9-13
  • Was a counselor or CIT in a NJ day camp from 14-19

We tipped at both camps when I was a camper and I definitely received tips when I was a CIT / counselor.

I apologize if I hit a nerve with anyone. I just see it along the lines of tipping at restaurants. If it is a common practice to tip, one should tip imo.

From some of the posts I get the feeling people are shocked at the concept of tipping at camps and i'm just saying those that go to the camps that tip are not shocked by it.

It is not a common practice here (unheard of, as I mentioned earlier). So yes, I am a bit taken aback that anyone would even consider tipping a camp counselor.

I am another who has never heard of tipping camp counselors.

I went to a private camp for years in Colorado.

DD attended Girl Scout and 4-H camps in Michigan, New Hampshire and Germany

DS attended YMCA, 4-H and private camps in New Hampshire and a dance camp in London.

DD works (volunteer--as are all counselors) at a Rotary owned camp near Kansas City.

In none of those situations has tipping ever come up.
I swear sometimes, reading the DIS, Long Island seems like a different planet :rotfl:

Probably considered a salaried independent contractor position. But of course for internships, there frequently is no pay at all, just college credit.

My ds goes to a 7 week day camp and I never considered tipping the counselors. I have no idea if its the norm around here or not because I just didn't realize its something that is done anywhere. I'm going to ask the moms I know if they tip, if its normal I dont have a problem doing it but since there are many counselors its going to end up being a small one.

My DD has gone to GS week long camp for the last several years. I am a GS Leader also.

Never in my life have I ever heard of tipping camp counselors. As a matter of fact, regular staff is not allowed to accept gifts either.

It's considered a seasonal contract position with a set starting and ending date. Again it is your choice to take it or not. The bunk counselors do tend to get paid the least. Some people also have other jobs-- my daughter has another job at the mall, and she also babysits. What can I say? She likes to work and make money.

And yes, some people do it for volunteer hours for scholarships or graduation requirements. Some people do if for gratification only.

It is also scaled on age : age 14 gets paid the least, and so on-- certifications pay you more, as you get older you get paid more, etc.

She gets paid very well (even outside of tips) for a person with no car-- she gets a ride there (up and back), gets fed, gets many breaks, is outside, has good work friends-- it's a perfect place for her.

And to be honest, many of the young people-not my daughter- that work there don't really NEED the money.. it's more of a place to hang out with friends and do stuff doing the day.

My daughter is saving for a car-- she has almost enough right now and will have enough money by August.

No tipping around here that I know of. I do however usually send the counselor a care package at the same time I send one for my DD - sometimes with a Starbucks or target gift card tucked inside. :)

I was a day camp counselor at a private camp many yrs ago...25 maybe?? (UGH was it really that long???) I was tipped and it was pretty well even back then. I made more in tips than regular pay. When I worked at Girl Scout camps, I didn't get anything back then...except small gifts or cards the girls sometimes would make me :goodvibes

We've always tipped my kids' counselors at the various camps they have gone to. My DD is attending Girl Scout day camp now for 2 weeks this summer and has 3 counselors that we will tip, probably with gift cards. She also did a week of softball camp where we tipped.

The counselors at our favorite camp aren't really paid either - besides room and board. It's a church camp an being a counselor there is ministry. Sort of like being a younglife leader. And yes - to be honest - many or most of the counselors who work there don't really need the money . . . they are mostly local.

But the camp does also bring in counselors from around the world and in those cases I believe their travel expenses are usually paid for to make that happen . . .

I believe it's all handled on a case by case basis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter