Tip for fellow "invisible disability" DISers

chaospearl

Earning My Ears
I have known a lot of people - myself included - to find out the hard way how stressful it can be to use an ECV or wheelchair at the parks when your disability is not something immediately apparent. Most people are kind and understanding - some are not. Some are VERY much not. You do unfortunately get the stares, the accusing glances, sometimes even actual questions: "Why do you need an ECV? You don't look disabled?" or my favorite, "What's wrong with you?" I like to tell people I have a highly specific and debilitating allergy to rudeness, and it makes my knees and ankles swell up so I can't walk...

Um, anyway. I have systemic-onset rheumatoid arthritis (Still's disease) combined with severe osteoporosis from 15 years of prednisone, and three total joint replacements - both hips and l. shoulder. I can walk on my own, sometimes normally or with a slight limp, but to be on my feet for longer than 20 minutes or so, I need assistance. I have often encountered rudeness in the parks due to the fact that I can transfer out of my ECV when necessary, and sometimes I even park it right outside the attraction and go into the "normal" queue with everyone else, if the ride is something where it's just easier to walk through the short queue rather than hassle the ECV in and out of the designated areas.

I had one experience at the Magic Kingdom - at the Jungle Cruise queue - where a family behind me included a man in an ankle-support cast who was also using an ECV. We parked together at the off-to-the-side area where wheelchairs and ECVs wait for the accessible boat (I can transfer into MOST rides - but Jungle Cruise is really difficult, as there's quite a significant step down into the boat and nothing stable to hang onto, and after one memorable incident where my knee buckled as I was stepping and I nearly toppled into the water, now I usually wait for the special boat with the ECV lift unless I'm completely confident my joints will cooperate that day).

As it so happened, the very next boat coming in WAS the accessible one, so myself and the other family were boarded first, before the other people in the regular queue. Quite a few were upset about this but I noticed that everybody who had a problem, had it with ME. The man with the ankle brace clearly "had a good reason" to need assistance, although he was able to park his ECV and climb into the boat with the aid of two members of his party. I was traveling alone and had no one to help, and CMs are not allowed to physically assist you onto the rides, so I didn't have a choice about driving my ECV onto the boat. The people in the queue seemed to feel that I was "stealing" the one ECV slot on the boat from this man, who obviously needed it, while I obviously didn't need it and was just a healthy teenager (I'm 26 but look a LOT younger) who didn't want to walk. Now I knew this was not so, as I'd chatted with the other family while we waited for the boat with the lift, and offered to wait and take the next one because his family had a small child and I didn't mind waiting even though I had been there first. He assured me that transfering into the boat was no problem for him, and he had planned to do that anyway even if I hadn't been there.

I was given several dirty looks from the other passengers, and when the ride ended and we were all to disembark - the ECV stays on until last when everybody else has gotten off the boat - two people moving past me towards the exit actually reached over and SHOVED me hard by pushing my upper arm, and one kicked me in the ankle while he walked by. All three were part of a single group who had been staring at me disapprovingly and whispering the whole time. I said quite loudly, "Excuse me!?" but apparently nobody else had seen this happen, or chose to keep quiet, so I didn't want to make a fuss about it to the CM. I seethed, but inwardly.

The entire incident did have one positive effect. After seeing and speaking to the man with the ankle brace, I thought about the fact that I always pack my knee brace for Disney trips, as well as a couple of Ace bandages and a wrist brace, in case I need extra support as the day wears on. I'm in the habit of not wearing them unless very necessary, simply because in everyday life, wearing a knee brace a lot of people stop and ask, "What did you do to your knee?" or similar, and I feel uncomfortable explaining repeatedly that I didn't injure my knee, it is just swollen or unstable from "a bad day" of arthritis. Particularly because lots of people who ask that question are kids who often don't understand how a young woman can have arthritis. I know, that I should never become frustrated with questions from children - they only mean well - but it hurts inside after the fourth time in one supermarket that I hear, "Oh, my grandma has arthritis too, she's 105 years old and she is in a wheelchair and can't potty by herself!" Now there is certainly no offense meant to anybody chair-bound - I am grateful every day of my life to be as mobile as I am - but it's just hard, as a young woman with plenty of self-esteem problems as it is, to constantly be compared to an old lady and to have kids eagerly launch into stories of the time they had to change grandma's diaper. That is what comes to their minds when I explain that I have arthritis. To most children and even more teenagers than I like to think about, it's "a disease old people get".

In normal life, wearing my various braces can be a nightmare... but at Disney parks, it has become a lifesaver! After the Jungle Cruise incident I did not so much as turn the ignition key on my ECV until I had securely wrapped my knee in the orthopedic brace. From that point on I didn't encounter even ONE dirty look, or rude comment, from people who question whether I really need the ECV. I've since taken another Disney trip and this time wore my brace from the beginning, and it was the first trip I've ever been on where I felt completely at ease, no stress, and didn't spend all my time worrying constantly about whether somebody might be glaring at my back as I rode by on the ECV. It felt wonderful! I may not particularly need the brace on any given day, but it is a visible "symbol" of disability that people see and understand. To me, I find it much easier than constantly explaining myself, enduring or ignoring the rudeness that comes with living with an invisible disability, or worrying about it.

I have been told I talk too much - LOL. I am sorry for how long this was. To sum up: If you are a Disney fan with an invisible disability, and must use a wheelchair, ECV, GAC, handicapped parking permit, or any other form of assistance that occasionally garners rudeness and accusations of whether you're "faking" in order to receive perks - it may be helpful to wear a small brace somewhere on your body, or even a simple Ace or wrapped gauze bandage around a leg. Regardless of whether your particular disability has anything to do with mobility - you are still disabled and this may help to indicate to other people that you do have special needs, or at least shut them up from saying something very inappropriate and hurtful to you because "You don't LOOK disabled!" Well, now you do! LOL. It is not their business what your needs may be. While I understand the self-righteous feeling that we shouldn't have to explain ourselves - it's unfortunate that we often end up having to, anyway. And it can become frustrating, uncomfortable, stressful, or just plain annoying "do we have to go through this AGAIN?" after the billionth time.

I hope I have not offended anyone - it was certainly not my intention to belittle anyone's needs or situation. Nor am I in any way advocating the deliberate misleading of people with questions\concerns about your disability or the needs you may have. All I really wanted to say - and being me, I had to take a page and a half to do it! - is that I do have an "invisible disability" and I have encountered stress and rudeness because of this, and I wanted to share my solution in the hope that it may be helpful to someone out there.

If this post is inappropriate, please inform me and I will immediately take it down. It occured to me mid-way through writing it that some people who are NOT disabled may come here looking for ways to effectively "fake it" ... but I'd think that wearing a knee brace would be a rather obvious thing to do in that case, and those sorts of sad, selfish people aren't exactly getting any brand-new exciting ideas from me. LOL.

cheers!
Jenni

I like to tell people I have a highly specific and debilitating allergy to rudeness, and it makes my knees and ankles swell up so I can't walk...

LOVE it!!!! :lovestruc

Also, if somebody says, "You don't look disabled," there's always the answer of, "And you don't look stupid, but I guess looks can be deceiving!" ;)

I have often encountered rudeness in the parks due to the fact that I can transfer out of my ECV when necessary, and sometimes I even park it right outside the attraction and go into the "normal" queue with everyone else, if the ride is something where it's just easier to walk through the short queue rather than hassle the ECV in and out of the designated areas.

Sorry to hear that! My friend with MS (invisible) used an ECV when we went to Disney and as far as I heard and saw, we didn't get any of those remarks. (I was using my service dog, who helps me walk amoung other things.) The only times she parked it outside were for restaurants, though - she needed to use the ECV entrances for the rides. (Although we did the Peoplemover and that doesn't have an elevator to it - she can't do moving walkways and such without help, but she made it up that escalator and we did the ride [the CMs helped her on the moving sidewalks on the rides that had them].)

I was given several dirty looks from the other passengers, and when the ride ended and we were all to disembark - the ECV stays on until last when everybody else has gotten off the boat - two people moving past me towards the exit actually reached over and SHOVED me hard by pushing my upper arm, and one kicked me in the ankle while he walked by. All three were part of a single group who had been staring at me disapprovingly and whispering the whole time. I said quite loudly, "Excuse me!?" but apparently nobody else had seen this happen, or chose to keep quiet, so I didn't want to make a fuss about it to the CM. I seethed, but inwardly.

:scared1: Oh my gosh, that is TERRIBLE!!!!!! How could somebody do that to a person?! I don't know if you were in shorts or pants, but if you were in pants, how were they to know you didn't have a brace/split/cast/etc. or prosthetic or healing surgical wounds?! Regardless of what you wore, you could've had a problem that would cause you severe pain, broken bones, or other injury when they pushed/bumped your arm and kicked you! I'll bet they would've ruined their own vacation had you had that fragile bone disease and ended up needing to go to the hospital - and later ended up in court against them!! Some people are idiots - they obviously are some of those ppl! :mad:

I'm in the habit of not wearing them unless very necessary, simply because in everyday life, wearing a knee brace a lot of people stop and ask, "What did you do to your knee?" or similar, and I feel uncomfortable explaining repeatedly that I didn't injure my knee, it is just swollen or unstable from "a bad day" of arthritis.

Yeah, I don't wear my wrist braces (for both wrists) unless I really need them, either. (And then sometimes I'll need them but I'm out and don't have them with me - oops! I need to make a holder for them on my dog's pack!) Nobody really asks me what happened to my wrists, though - I just don't like wearing them. I did bring them in the backpack I wore in Disney this last time, but I don't think I ever needed them in the parks.

I have been told I talk too much - LOL.

I get that often, too. I just take it as a compliment! ;) They're just jealous they can't talk as much as we can! ;)

To sum up: If you are a Disney fan with an invisible disability, and must use a wheelchair, ECV, GAC, handicapped parking permit, or any other form of assistance that occasionally garners rudeness and accusations of whether you're "faking" in order to receive perks - it may be helpful to wear a small brace somewhere on your body, or even a simple Ace or wrapped gauze bandage around a leg.

I understand what you mean. DS uses a wheelchair at the parks. He has Down Syndrome, and just doesn't have the muscle tone to do that much walking and standing (although old Mom's getting to the point she doesn't have enough to push a wheelchair all that way - not sure what we'll do then!:rotfl: )

Anyway, DS also happens to be bald from Alopecia (hair loss with no good reason). He wears a hat most of the time to help guard from sunburn. And his facial features are fairly mild in terms of the "typical" Down Syndrome appearance. It's amazing how many dirty looks we get, then he takes off his hat, and the looks change to pity. People assume he has cancer. Of course his bald head has nothing at all do to with his need for a wheelchair - but when people see it they "accept" him using wheelchair.

I'm sorry to hear that people were rude to you. Unfortunately, that is probably an illness they suffer (uncontrollably I'm sure!) for which medication is not available but desperately needed.

To see young people who are unable to traverse this planet on their own limbs is terrible. I've been fortunate to serve on my local board for the juvenile arthritis gala and it sure opened my eyes. Honestly, who really thinks kids have arthritis. But a lot do and, sadly, it's not one of the well publicized childhood 'diseases' even though it can impact a child's life more than many other celebrity-endorsed juvenile medical conditions.

Use your ECV with pride! If anyone asks, tell them you have juvenile arthritis and are unable to walk due to the disease. From our advocacy we've really tried to help educate people but when 'only' 300,000 people under 18 are diagnosed with arthritis it just doesn't get the press even though it impacts every aspect of life, especially for children and young adults like yourself.

I think kids are curious, which is why they ask. But, you also must be approachable and appear kind that they'd want to ask about your braces and/or bandages. Adults, well, we're just nosey!

My daughter at age 4 went up to a total stranger who was standing on line at the post office and asked her (much to my horror) why she had no hair. Very matter of factly and rather loudly. The young woman was probably in her 30s. She was really sweet to my daughter -- crouching down and saying 'Sweety, I have cancer and the medicine I take made all my hair fall out'. To which my daughter said 'Well, that just doesn't seem right'. It was a very sweet conversation and it taught my daughter a lot. I was trying to apologize for my daughter's intrusion but this lovely woman knew that this little girl meant no disrespect, she was just interested. It was a 'teaching moment'.

As you make your way around WDW, if you have one of these experiences, use it as a teaching moment. Statistics show that most of us will end up with some form of arthritis at some point in our life. I'm sorry you have it so early in life. But it's not a chip to wear on your shoulder, it's a badge of courage to show others that even in the face of adversity magic is possible.

Enjoy your travels -- wherever they take you, around the block or around the world!

Jenni: thank you for your post. I have double knee replacements and although they are great, a whole day of walking around a theme park (like my beloved Disneyland) often leaves me feeling like I have cantaloupes on my knees! I have only rented an ECV twice (for a two day trip and after the first day I was actually having foot pain--turns out I had a broken bone in my foot and didn't know it--so I rented an ECV the second day because there was NO WAY I would otherwise have been able to last that day). I went a few weeks later and also rented an ECV. I don't recall any particular rude or disparaging looks or remarks, but I DID feel self-conscious about using one the first time since it was "invisible" (the second time I had a walking cast). I am now planning a multi-day drip to WDW, and DBF is insisting that I need to rent an ECV because after more than one day of walking about he is concerned that my knees won't stand up. I think he is probably right. :worried: So, I may borrow your idea and wear a knee brace to stave off any negativity from other people. thanks again! and boo/hiss to those mean people on the jungle cruise who treated you so badly--I hate judgmental people! (oops--does that mean I'm judgmental? LOL)

I have many hidden problems like undiagnosed ADD and diagnosed as having a disintegrating disc, scoliosis, arthritis, food allergies, and celiac. I am a waddlebutt but other than that I look fine usually except for my peculiar gait.

I hate the judgmental people also. Why do I need a GAC and special treatment but for me the whole day adds up fast. Your letter hits me hard as I have been there and seen others treated rudely because they have hidden disabilities. Thank you for speaking out.

hugs
laurie

Sadly, the type of people the OP mentioned are the reason I am sitting at home this weekend. I am normally able to handle the parks (in small doses) with out an wheelchair or ECV. But this weekend my body does not want to cooperate and walking in a theme park is just not possible. Since I have no "glaring diagnoses" and I am already in pain, dealing with "self important judgemental tourists" who got their medical degree while standing in line at Disney is not something I want to do. Truth be told I could deal with them, but do not want to subject my child to it.

I was diagnosed with arthritis in 7th grade. I also have scoliosis and lordosis--discovered at the same time.

At 22, I was diagnosed with Lupus and a short time later, my dermatologist biopsied some tumors on my skin and I learned that I also had Neurofibromatosis, type I. I have only a couple of discs in my spine that have not degenerated and several small tumors on my spine. I also have a plate and 8 screws in my cervical spine.

Years of medrol and every NSAID known to man have really done a number on my 62 year old body.

I have always gotten comments and stares until last year. I have been wearing braces for several years now, but last year was the first time I wore them to WDW. Of course, I still get them if I'm wearing long pants and park in a HC space at the grocery store!

I just smile at the people and try to be as pleasant as possible. I may be in physical pain, but people who judge others are in serious social pain. Most people who judge others do it to make themselves feel superior--how sad that they are so insecure about themselves!

Thank-you for your post. I'm the same age as you, and have JRA. My arthritis has progressed to the point where I can't walk at all (My knees are locked at about 90 degrees). My last trip was with my Dad who is well... not the most fun person to travel with.

Your post has given me hope that once I get my knees replaced (May) I'll be able to use an ECV and visit WDW by myself :) or at least more independently. My shoulder is shot and my hands aren't that great, but I opted for a manual wheel-chair for various reasons. Its amazing to be able to get around with a more reasonable amount of pain, but it is also really limiting at times :(

As a side note if anyone asks me why I'm in a wheel-chair I usually try to give them the most disgusting details possible, joint nodules, injections, IV's, graphic descriptions of my joint X-Rays and various surgeries :)

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, jaw deterioration, plantar fasciitis, atrial fibulation, pulmonary emboli and diverticulitis. On any given day, I might look fine but be in excruciating pain but I tend to conceal the pain with a smile. I have never used an EVC and don't plan on it when I'm at WDW in March unless things get worse. I understand 100% why someone would want to use an EVC and still haven't ruled it out for myself. On other trips I have asked some teenagers to vacate their seats on the monorail and was told NO, they would not, first come, first seats. I almost landed in their laps several times before someone else offered me their seat. I felt so embarrassed and guilty but suffered in silence. I really appreciate your suggestion of wearing the braces. I am not getting any younger and the joint damage is not getting any better.

On another issue, when I booked my trip, I explained to the CM that I used a cane and would need ground floor accommodation. I was told I would have to pay the extra for that! There are ground floor rooms, is it really that must to ask? I'm not asking for a room with a view, nor a room close to the pools, etc. I just cannot climb stairs. I was livid and refused to pay the extra fee. Why should someone with a disability have to pay more for the same service? Also, he gave me a hard time about my request for a small fridge to store my Humira in to keep it cold. Humira cost me 1650.00 a month. I explained that I NEEDED this medication. He told me that there would be a 10$ a night charge. I have never had to pay extra for this on previous trips. Am I out of line feeling miffed about this?

I try to be a polite person. I say please and thank you, genuinely. I just want to be able to enjoy my trip as much as I can. I see many able bodied people on the ground floor, granted some may have invisible disabilities, but something tells me that they are not all paying extra, nor are all ground floor rooms occupied but those of us with disabilities.

Thanks for listening/reading.

We too get the glares. My son 11 years can transfer fine and walk some distance too. He just hasn't got the endurance for any amount of time. What people don't realize is he is on pain meds both tylenol #2 with codeine and antiflammitories so he can function and live some time without pain.

If I made him walk at Disney, he would be crawling in less then an hour and pain would be unimaginable! His doctors prescribed a wheelchair for this very reason.

When people continue to look , stare and point fingers, I point blankly ask them if they would like to to borrow my digital. They say " excuse me" I say if you want take a picture it is less humilitating for my son! They usually bow their heads or move away quickly....

I find it so sad that this even has to be a topic of discussion. :sad1:

I too have hidden disabilities. My psoriatic arthritis affects my hands, feet, knees, hip, back and now I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. That and all the osteoarthritis from the years and years of walking and standing as a nurse and I can just barely make it through my own home some days.

I really want to come up with a bumper sticker for my own ECV regarding this but in my heart I know that would be rude and that just isn't what I am.

Pixie dust and blessings to all of us who need help, no matter what others think.

On another issue, when I booked my trip, I explained to the CM that I used a cane and would need ground floor accommodation. I was told I would have to pay the extra for that! There are ground floor rooms, is it really that must to ask? I'm not asking for a room with a view, nor a room close to the pools, etc. I just cannot climb stairs. I was livid and refused to pay the extra fee. Why should someone with a disability have to pay more for the same service? Also, he gave me a hard time about my request for a small fridge to store my Humira in to keep it cold. Humira cost me 1650.00 a month. I explained that I NEEDED this medication. He told me that there would be a 10$ a night charge. I have never had to pay extra for this on previous trips. Am I out of line feeling miffed about this?
If you are staying at a Moderate or Deluxe resort, those all have refrigerators already in the room. There is not an extra charge for anyone to have a refrigerator in those rooms.
For the Value Resorts (the All Stars and Pop Century), there is an extra $10 charge for a refrigerator. BUT, that fee is waived if someone needs a refrigerator for medical reasons. They may give you a small refrigerator (sort of the size of a shoe box), but you should not be charged. If you are, you can sort that out easily at the resort with the manager if you need to.

For the question about Ground Floor, that is not a request that costs extra for anyone, so I am not sure why a CM would have told you it would be an extra fee. If you need ground floor because of a disability, then the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) comes into play and they are not allowed to charge extra for accomodations you need for your disability. There may be some resorts/hotels in the US that don't actually have any floors on ground floor. Some have all their public rooms, restaurants, lobby, etc on ground floor and don't have any rooms on ground floor.

One of the things I have noticed recently is that it seems to be 'acceptable' to make comments, be rude, what ever toward people with disabilities.
And, it's not just people with hidden disabilities.
My DD's disabilities are pretty obvious - she is in a very obviously custom wheelchair, her feet need to be strapped in because of spasticity, she uses a computer or sign language to communicate and sometimes looks pretty 'spacey' because of seizures and medication.
Despite that, we have heard comments about her 'cheating' because someone saw her out of her wheelchair.
If people do that to people with visible disabilities, I can see why they would be so nasty to people with invisible disabilities.
Pixie dust and blessings to all of us who need help, no matter what others think.
::yes:::grouphug:

Wow, I came sneeking back in here with trepidation to make sure nobody had taken offense to my post, and instead I've found all you lovely people thanking me for writing it. Ha! My thanks to you as well, then, for such a pleasant reception. I have only recently de-lurked to join the DIS community as a contributor, and I've worried that... I don't know, that you wouldn't want me?

Ms_Butterfly: I suspect the reason more people don't inquire about your wrists is because your service dog is serving as a "red flag waving" to indicate that you do have a disability. For whatever strange reason, I've noticed that once people are aware that "there's something wrong with you" from that point on, they will become completely blind to anything unusual about your appearance or actions. My guess is that it's because they don't wish to appear ignorant (or insensitive)? I was wearing shorts at the time, incidentally, and I recall my knee was swollen up like a basketball! I remember feeling surprised that it wasn't as glaringly ugly and weird-looking as I had convinced myself it must be. It's just not normal for a regular, shapely leg (if I do say so myself!) to be bisected at the middle with a gigantic puffy swollen red-ish purplish mass that is near twice the circumference of the descending calf and ankle.

LisaBi: Yes, your example illustrates exactly what I'm referring to! Isn't it funny sometimes how people assume? I was once in the same position as your son, or nearly so; I'd lost a significant amount of my hair as a result of chemo treatments (but NOT for cancer) and usually wore caps and scarves out of the house. I constantly had people expressing their sympathy, simply assuming I was a cancer patient or survivor without the teensiest bit of indication beyond my hair loss. Once at a restaurant an older woman in a PINK power suit came to my table, presented me with a pink Breast Cancer frozen strawberry drink, and launched into the story of her own struggle with BC and the charity organization she now works for, etc. It took me a few minutes to get a word in edgewise to politely let her know that while I do support various charities for women, I've never had breast cancer or any other cancer. I always thought about how embarassed those women must feel if they happened to go up to a bald woman and begin fawning over her strength and 'battle scars' - only to be told flatly that she suffers from trichotillomania, or premature hair loss runs in her family, or even that shaving her head is a personal style choice. Team Britney!

AuroraBeauty: Thank you for the kind and encouraging words! It is a rather unusual diagnosis, that's for sure. Even among the three main forms of JRA, Still's disease is by far the most rare.

Well, I think I overestimated my hands' ability to do a lot of typing tonight, but I wanted to acknowledge what everybody took the time to say - so I'll finish my thoughts in the morning after I've taken my own dose of pain medication.

I did want to respond to merryweather20, because it breaks my heart to hear that you don't feel you can be independent at the World due to your mobility limitations. I visit Orlando once every year for 5 days to a week, and the last couple of years I have been solo. We took a family vacation to WDW back in 2004, and my parents and little sister enjoyed it well enough, but they're not Disney maniacs the way I am. They've already had their Disney fix for the decade and feel it's too expensive to be worth a yearly visit - which would have to be made during peak season anyway, either during mid summer or spring break. Anyway, my own first solo trip happened accidentally when the group I was signed up with abandoned me (a convention of 15 to 20 online gamers who weren't well-acquainted), and I managed to enjoy myself for five days regardless. So the next year when I couldn't find anyone to make the trip, I decided to simply go by myself intentionally. I daresay I'd rather have a friend with me, somebody to laugh with and talk to, but it's still Disney World even on my own, and that's still magic to me.

If you'd ever like to chat with me about my experiences Doing The World as a disabled adult traveling solo, please drop me a PM! Or if there's anybody else interested, I'd be happy to discuss it on this thread. It's so ironic that for a lot of us here the magic of Disney makes feel like kids again. For me, I get to feel like a grown-up adult at last! Disney is one of the best places in the world for being able to travel independently. I live at home with my family, in suburbia, and I don't have a driver's license. It really puts a damper on my independence - because I'm still going to be asking my mommy for a ride to the mall to meet my friends when I'm 30.

From the moment I'm dropped off at the airport and walk inside, all of the sudden I'm in charge of my own life. It's now my responsibility to get myself and my luggage - which inevitably weighs more than I do, and which I absolutely cannot carry\move by myself - to Orlando! I must, without assistance, ensure that I am transported from the airport, checked into my hotel, ECV rental handled, up in the morning for the parks, later to Pleasure Island, bit of souvenir shopping to pick up presents for everyone at home, and then all packed up, back again to the airport, and boarding the correct flight for home. All week, I must handle my own meal schedule and acquisition, medication dosing, blood sugar levels, all medical precautions. And more banal things - who to tip and how much, make a dinner reservation, politely but firmly indicate that a smoking room will NOT be acceptable, take notes for my homecoming trip report. I may follow a strict schedule of which park on which day and for how long - or I decide one morning I'd like to sleep in, go swimming, and spend that day at Downtown Disney on a whim. I can slip into a swimsuit and robe at 9pm and wander down to the pool. I can keep a frosty can of Coca-Cola in the ice bucket on my nightstand and pop my eyes open in the morning, taking my 8am medications with a cold, COLD effervescent caffeinated delight. The thermostat in my hotel room will be kept to 69 degrees while I pad about in bathrobe and slippers. Or it could be I'll raise it to a comfortably warm room temperature at night and sleep on top of the sheets, sans pajamas. The most painful part of my day is nearly always the first 5 minutes, awake in a sheen of sweat, shoulder and wrists locked and each finger joint swollen into deformed purplish lumps, wrestling myself out from under the tangled, twisted sheet\blanket\comforter\pillows trying to get both hands free and into a sitting position to take my first medications of the morning so the throbbing will STOP.

All those things that are taken for granted by so many. They are hidden independence - even just deciding the hour at which to eat, and what food will taste best. Disney World is the only place that I find them, and I revel in each one like a kid in a candy store. Maybe I will go to Animal Kingdom tomorrow, or maybe I'll sleep until I wake up and eat pancakes in my bathrobe as the parks open and swim in the warm pool and look at palm trees. There's no one to nudge me towards the more responsible or practical choice - no one I even have to tell what I did and face judgement later.

Things like this are SO important for a healthy maturity in disabled adults. It's vital that people with thriving minds and intellects who are trapped inside limited, sometimes child-like bodies, are still afforded the opportunity to acknowledge their independence. So what if you can't walk on your own two legs? Can't dress by yourself? So what if your mom is still helping you in the bathroom and you're 25 years old. You are still an ADULT and no one should treat you like a teenager, a lesser being with few privileges requiring supervision and guardianship. Sometimes you don't realize the extent to which your life mirrors that of a 12 year old - until you have the opportunity for a day of independence.

Jenni

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I came here looking for exactly this topic. I suffered a hemmorragic stroke 2 yrs ago and was completely paralyzed on my left side. I have since learned to walk again, but tire easily and have limited sensation on my left side. I walk with a cane but know I'll need to rent a wheelchair on my visit to WDW in April. My disability is invisible and I get questioning looks even with a cane! I don't need a wheelchair all the time and didn't know if I wanted to rent one, your topic changed my mind. I'll bring along my brace to ward off the stares and rudeness. Thank you!:goodvibes

i like seeing so many people with such positive attitudes about invisible illnesses... i always worry threads like this will go downhill, but this has been lovely.

i use a manual chair in disney, not an ECV. I probably would use the ECV, except I am unable to drive one due to my invisible disability (the drive mechanisms are too hard for me, and i have extremely limited use of one arm)... so i think i get fewer looks than if i had an ECV. I use a cane when i stood up, so i think that helped too.

i actually had a great wheelchair experience on saturday... i used my wheelchair at IKEA (which is massive if you don't know) and there was a little boy who kinda stared at me (doesnt bother me with kids) then broke out in a huge smile and yelled (as all 3 yr olds always do :) ) "ITS MICKEY MOUSE!!!" He had no problem with the wheelchair, he was just so excited i had a mickey mouse patch on the back! just thought that was too adorable!

I wanted to thank everyone who posted in this thread. I will be doing a solo trip in March and all of my disabilities are invisible ones for the most part. I will wear my knee and wrist braces. I will remind any CM about the disabilities act. It's nice to know that others have walked a mile in my shoes.

Pixie dust indeed to us all! pixiedust:

I am so sorry that everyone has to deal with some peoples ignorance. I cannot see why some people have to be so rude to get what an extra 10 feet ahead. I work on a tug boat I'm only home 7 days out of the month and i see how everyone is such in a rush these days. all of my friends see it every day and really don't notice what i am talking about. so don't get angry at those whose life is more importiant than everyone elses they are the ones who need the pitty.

We are making our first trip in a few weeks since my daughter (13) was diagnosed with JRA. We did not make the trip last year because her knees were so bad and she did not want to use a wheelchair. She realized it was better to go and use one this year.

She is worried about people staring at her because she does not appear to need one.

I am going to show her this board so she will see she is not alone.

Thank you

We are making our first trip in a few weeks since my daughter (13) was diagnosed with JRA. We did not make the trip last year because her knees were so bad and she did not want to use a wheelchair. She realized it was better to go and use one this year.

She is worried about people staring at her because she does not appear to need one.

I am going to show her this board so she will see she is not alone.

Thank you

His greatest problem is his knees and ankles....Wheelchair helped a great deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter