Timing of ADRs and fireworks?

Vaughanabe13

Earning My Ears
Going to Disney in 2 weeks! We have a few ADR's for restaurants that are known to be good locations for viewing the nighttime fireworks. However, I'm not sure how the timing will work out as far as when dinner starts vs. when the fireworks start. If we are done with dinner before fireworks have started are we allowed to stay and watch? How long would they let you wait? For example, here are two specific times/places I'm referring to:

1) Monsieur Paul @ 7:30, Illuminations @ 9
2) Cali Grill @ 7:45, Wishes @ 9

It's just me and my girlfriend going on the trip and we're on the dining plan (so figure 2 entree + 2 dessert).

Also, do I have to call ahead and ask for a table with a view of fireworks, or are there common viewing areas that people go to? I haven't been to any of these restaurants before so I'm not sure how it works. Thanks for the help.

You can't call ahead, you need to request at the podium. There's also no guarantee you'll get a table that has a view.

California Grill you are OK because you can go out to the observation deck and watch even if your table has no view.

Monsieur Paul, no idea how long they'd let you occupy a table (you would have to have one right up next to the window to see anything - again, not guaranteed) but you would probably be there long enough anyway. No common or outside viewing area for that restaurant.

My general rule of thumb is to allow 90 minutes to two hours for a Signature meal. Given that you're only doing two courses, it'll probably be closer to 90 minutes.

As TDC Nala said, you'll be fine at Cali Grill because of the observation deck. You can request a window table when you check-in, but they do not guarantee one in time for the show. I would guess that you'll be having dessert about when the show is scheduled. You'll have to work with your server to make sure they don't serve yoru desserts while your out watching the show. This happened to my family once....we told the server several times that we were going to be watching the fireworks and she said that's fine and that she'd take care of it. But then she brought the ice cream/sorbet based desserts while we were gone. By the time we got back, they had all melted. She brought new ones, but it was such a waste.

For Monsieur Paul, I would not plan to see IllumiNations from there. A handful of tables have a view (and I mean a handful) and most have little to no view at all. You'll probably get done before IllumiNations starts, so you can go find a viewing location around WS. This is the view from an inner table, but you can see that the trees get in the way and block the bottom part of the view.
DSC_0533_1_zps0335ab77.jpg

We have been at one of the window tables at Monsieur Paul when it was Bistro- we have actually been seated at the same table twice. Both times with the size of the window- only one of us could actually see out it from our seats. We have always dined their earlier in the evening but the window we were near would not have had a good view of Illuminations for the 1 of us that could have seen it.

That's a little disappointing about Monsieur Paul, only because most websites/blogs I've researched all say that that's one of the best spots to see Illuminations, but apparently only if you have the exact right table. I will plan on seeing Illuminations outside, then.

Also thanks for the tips on Cali Grill and dessert, I wouldn't have thought of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter