StephHill

Earning My Ears
We have been a loyal and until recently a satisfied customer of DVC since December 1996. Due to COVID 19, no one was allowed to travel anywhere from February /March 2020 until the uncertain future. We had many timeshare points with DVC that we banked from last year (2019) that were set to expire on May 31, 2020. We received emails from DVC explaining that they were going to extend the expiration date on timeshare points as well as those points that were banked from previous years. Below is a direct quote from one of those emails which we have attached:

"..Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com."

We even paid our annual dues in January of this year. Even though we could not travel anywhere, Disney still wanted their dues,which was fine, so we paid the annual dues, as we have every year since 1996.

I called in March 2020 about my points that were expiring in May 31, 2020, but I was not able to get through, because part of their office which I needed to communicate with was closed due to the pandemic. I could not book a trip for May 2020 even if I wanted to, because their office was closed.

I called this morning on June 15, 2020 at 9:15am assuming obviously my expired points for May 31, 2020 would have been extended due to the pandemic as outlined and presumed from their emails. After all, until this morning (June 15, 2020), I have always had excellent customer service with DVC. However, I was treated very rudely and told that my points had indeed expired and they were not going to be extended. I was and still am flabbergasted, shocked and angry. They were almost half of my points from last year. I kindly asked to speak to a supervisor and that person was just as rude to me. They said after only a few minutes, "This call is being discounted because you are using an inappropriate tone." And then they hung up on me. I have never been treated like that before from a DVC employee. That is the worst customer service experience I have received from DVC. Not only did they go back on their word about extending the expiration date on timeshare points but they were extremely rude to me.

I wanted to have my points that were set to expire in May 2020 be extended for one full year or at least until December 2020 as presumed in the emails not to mention all of the travel restrictions we have been under since March 2020 due to COVID 19. I wanted to visit Disney Hilton Head Resort in December 2020 and use my points that I had banked from last year. I am trying to put together a nice end of year family reunion. Any suggestions on where and whom I can contact?

Disgusted DVC member

Hi,

I'm a new DVC member so I can't help you. However, there is a DVC section on this site that has many experts who may be able to help. Many people have been in your shoes in the last weeks. Try posting over there and hopefully someone give you some advice or guidance!

The email from dvc says that points from June use years that were used for cancelled reservations during the closure period, would be extended. Did you have a cancelled reservation during this time period? If not, that is probably why your points expired.

Plus it says right in the email that the points would only be extended to November 30, 2020 so you could not have used them in December 2020 anyways.

I think you will have to chalk this up to a mistake on your part. You absolutely could have booked a trip for May and let the reservation be cancelled by Disney, thus extending your points to November 20, 2020.

You made an assumption about your points expiring in May, and it was an incorrect one. You didn't have a booking, so this extension didn't apply.
I don't really think DVC owes you anything. I'm sorry you feel like you were wronged. A lack of understanding on your part doesn't mean they treated you poorly.
🤷‍♀️

It sounds like you were disconnected because you were the one being rude. Try having a better attitude the next time you call.

As others have mentioned, if you didn’t have a reservation that was cancelled because of the closure, your points would not be extended. The question is if they expired May 31, 2020, why didn’t you have a reservation to use them? The parks didn’t close until mid March. Did you really have points expiring with no plans to use them?

You could try again. Let them know you misunderstood the email and take responsibility for not reading it more closely. That's a lot of points to lose.

We have been a loyal and until recently a satisfied customer of DVC since December 1996. Due to COVID 19, no one was allowed to travel anywhere from February /March 2020 until the uncertain future. We had many timeshare points with DVC that we banked from last year (2019) that were set to expire on May 31, 2020. We received emails from DVC explaining that they were going to extend the expiration date on timeshare points as well as those points that were banked from previous years. Below is a direct quote from one of those emails which we have attached:

"..Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com."

We even paid our annual dues in January of this year. Even though we could not travel anywhere, Disney still wanted their dues,which was fine, so we paid the annual dues, as we have every year since 1996.

I called in March 2020 about my points that were expiring in May 31, 2020, but I was not able to get through, because part of their office which I needed to communicate with was closed due to the pandemic. I could not book a trip for May 2020 even if I wanted to, because their office was closed.

I called this morning on June 15, 2020 at 9:15am assuming obviously my expired points for May 31, 2020 would have been extended due to the pandemic as outlined and presumed from their emails. After all, until this morning (June 15, 2020), I have always had excellent customer service with DVC. However, I was treated very rudely and told that my points had indeed expired and they were not going to be extended. I was and still am flabbergasted, shocked and angry. They were almost half of my points from last year. I kindly asked to speak to a supervisor and that person was just as rude to me. They said after only a few minutes, "This call is being discounted because you are using an inappropriate tone." And then they hung up on me. I have never been treated like that before from a DVC employee. That is the worst customer service experience I have received from DVC. Not only did they go back on their word about extending the expiration date on timeshare points but they were extremely rude to me.

I wanted to have my points that were set to expire in May 2020 be extended for one full year or at least until December 2020 as presumed in the emails not to mention all of the travel restrictions we have been under since March 2020 due to COVID 19. I wanted to visit Disney Hilton Head Resort in December 2020 and use my points that I had banked from last year. I am trying to put together a nice end of year family reunion. Any suggestions on where and whom I can contact?

Disgusted DVC member

I assume you have a June UY. Banked 2018 points are being extended until November 30th, 2020. You have to call in to use them and they will not show up online,

Sounds like you want to use them after the extension, which you can’t do, There is a big thread on the DVC forums about the temporary changes in policy.

And, as mentioned, it only applies to points used during closure. I had some and moved them to a new trip and didn’t need them, and now those points are no longer eligible.

ETA. DVC MS was never closed, and nothing prevented booking. You also could book online. They open 9 EST to 9 EST, 7 days a week.

Disgusted DVC member
This is from the DVC member website:
Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

As part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring Points. April, June, and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year Points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date.

Additionally, April, June, and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year Points that were banked into 2019 and used for these reservations will now expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring Points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29.

Highlighted the relevant parts for you. All you had to do was to book something, anything and those points would have been eligible.

With all due respect, I am also a June UY owner and my points were set to expire on the same day - just as yours were. I was able to contact them via Chat and phone several times during the past 3 months. I was able to make my May 25th reservation the second week of March. I continued modifying that reservation as availability showed up. Moved to AKL in March, PVB in April, BWV in April, and eventually BCV. That BCV grab was made in May - although the very first day of May.

So it was very possible to make a reservation then. It may be for other reasons that you could not; but it didn't have to do with the office closures.They were open enough to make all those bookings and reservations, and I never waited more than 10 minutes. The key was to avoid the very first 2 days in which something was announced.

Just chiming in to say that in addition to things others have pointed out (i.e., ignoring all the language in the email about needing to have a reservation during the closure period to get an extension; saying that DVC's phone line was closed and it was impossible to make reservations in March when it wasn't) a lot of this just doesn't add up.

Example #1:
I was and still am flabbergasted, shocked and angry. They were almost half of my points from last year. I kindly asked to speak to a supervisor and that person was just as rude to me. They said after only a few minutes, "This call is being discounted because you are using an inappropriate tone." And then they hung up on me.
So OP says they were asking "kindly" for a supervisor but then says just the sentence before that they were "flabbergasted, shocked and angry"--hmmm... I'm not buying the "kindly" bit. I know this may seem like piling on a bit for the OP, but it's going to be hard to find a sympathetic ear here. I mean, this is someone who gets hung up on by a Disney CM for being rude. You're breaking the cardinal rule: no matter how hard it is (and it's been hard for a lot of us, who actually do read the emails we get instead of skimming them and making false assumptions contrary to the clear language in the email) you DON'T mistreat the CMs.

Example #2:

Back in January, there were no travel restrictions in the US. none. Trump imposed the first travel ban on Jan. 31, for people coming from China, and the Europe travel ban didn't occur until March 11. People were still going to Disney World and the theme parks weren't closed until mid-March.

After listening to arguments from yourself and the people of the DIS, representing DVC member services, I find for DVC member services.

The men and women who are on that phone line have treated me great so far. While its possible, I imagine, to get a rude employee (everyone has bad days) at the point you find yourself flabbergasted, shocked and angry get off the phone. Take some time and phone back but do not expect them to break the rules. DVC has to draw a line somewhere and it sounds like you are just on the other side.

PS I have heard they sometimes make one exception so if you haven't already used it maybe this is worth using your mulligan. When you call be contrite, maybe apologize for losing your temper and ask for a favour on this special day, the day of your daughters wedding. Hopefully they have seen the godfather because if not they will definitely be putting a "whackjob" note on your file.

So, in January, when you paid your dues "even though you couldn't travel".... What was your plan to use those points by their original expiration? I mean, most of us book 11 months out, but you didn't have anything booked before the last 4 months of the use year?

Something is missing.

I booked my April 2020 trip in January or February and eventually also had a waitlist come through. You definitely could have booked something.

Sorry, OP. You could have booked something anytime before May2020. The extension is for people who had reservations impacted. I am with the other posters. This is clearly a mistake on your part. We all pay dues in January-even if we don't have a reservation for that year. We still have to pay dues.

Kindness goes a long way also. Even though you made the mistake in not banking or making a reservation that would have been canceled. Maybe you should call MS again and explain your situation. You may be surprised at how many flies you catch with honey instead of vinegar. You should also lead with something like" I think I made a mistake can you help me?" not with something like "MY POINTS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE EXTENDED WHY AREN'T THEY? YOU HAVE EXTENDED EVERYONE ELSE'S POINTS !!!"

I don’t think the OP is interested in answers, explanations or encouragement. I think they just wanted to vent their spleen. They posted their rant and haven’t returned to read any of the responses. Sometimes you just want to get things off your chest and move on. I hope they’re feeling better today.
This. They joined at 11:54 and posted this about ten minutes later, then signed off a few minutes after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter