• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Time to bring back fast passes!!!

I've never been a fan of FPs or any system where you have to have lots of inside knowledge or experience in order to maximize it. That leaves lots of people who don't eat, breathe, and live Disney out. It's like their terrible system for Rise of the Resistence right now. For those who don't spend countless hours researching, watching Youtube, reading forums....wonder how they feel when they find out they actually had a window of 5 seconds to get a boarding pass. That's a seriously broken system. I much preferred MaxPass to FastPass when I was in DL.

You do know there are literally thousands of Disney Vacation planners that will plan your entire vacation for you, right?....for free....You don't have to Google anything about Disney at all...

You do know there are literally thousands of Disney Vacation planners that will plan your entire vacation for you, right?....for free....You don't have to Google anything about Disney at all...

Something that should be noted though is that not all Disney travel planners are created equal. Some will really help a client out and really inform them about things in the parks what’s going on (aka my Dreams agent) and some just like to get the booking and that’s where their job ends. It takes some research to find out what a good agency to book with is hence somebody’s going to still need to Google.

Something that should be noted though is that not all Disney travel planners are created equal. Some will really help a client out and really inform them about things in the parks what’s going on (aka my Dreams agent) and some just like to get the booking and that’s where their job ends. It takes some research to find out what a good agency to book with is hence somebody’s going to still need to Google.
Fair enough, but it isn't like they are required to be Disney experts to have thmeselves a great vacation.

I was more replying to this notion I have seen around Disney forums and social media lately about how things are just so "unfair" at Disney...My opinion is actually the complete opposite...I would submit that things currently are as fair as they will likely ever be. This is not to suggest they were in some way "unfair" before, but with no FPs, everyone having to stand in line, no EMHs, no ticketed events....It's all pretty much equal for all involved. Although I am sure there are plenty of people who are certainly ready to point out where it's completely unfair....

Even though I still can't travel there, I agree. Bring back FP!! I'm one who doesn't think there is going to be a drastic change from the system we know. Possibly some paid options but mostly as it was. Then we can get back to FP tips and tricks and refreshing.

Would love maxpass at DisneyWorld. We were maxpass pros at Disneyland. And it came with photo pass so the cost was always worth it to us. On a magic morning day at Disneyland and learning how to stack them and which ones to hook first we could easily get a ton of fastpasses in a day and ride favorites multiple times with fastpass.

Maxpass style at WDW would be an entire different beast. Assuming an increase to $30 a person a family of 4 on a five day trip that is an extra $600, if that same family does a 10 days trip that is $1,200

Maxpass style at WDW would be an entire different beast. Assuming an increase to $30 a person a family of 4 on a five day trip that is an extra $600, if that same family does a 10 days trip that is $1,200
Would either reach alot of people and disney banks on it or to high for most people and the lines don't get longer. Only down side would be people not going at all due to the money grab.

Been going to DW every year since it opened. We always are at rope drop and do fast passes, ADR's and never wait in line. Usually we rode everything that we wanted. In November lines were so long we rode 1 ride in most parks. There were no shows, no rides that "never have lines", no stop anywhere to eat. No fireworks, shops had lines to get in. Nice restaurants had only a few menu items and some places used inferior ingredients. It seems to have gotten even worse. Have you seen pics of Valentines Day?!

There are blogs stating that Disney will make fast passes a separate cost. Right now, there are pictures of crowds and long lines and with no fast passes and limited attractions it makes for a not so great day. Yes, people will still come. Just like turning a huge cruise ship it will take loyal followers some time to see that the old Disney isn't coming back and there are better vacations elsewhere. When that happens, Disney will still be solvent and make money but something special will have vanished. Its a shame.
Disney blogs? Nope? Speculation. Disney spends an incredible amount of energy trying to make things better for its guests. You’ll see. Let’s talk again in 8 months.

Wait times are still not ridiculous and it isnt going to get that much worse. I monitored all President's Day weekend and nothing on the Touring Plans Line App was "un-waitable". Most were still under or around an hour.
For many of us, a Disney vacation where virtually all of the good rides necessitate standing in a line for around an hour is a no go --- certainly not at the current costs. And, as crowds increase going into spring break, the waits are likely to increase even more. No, thank you.

Disney will need to find a way to placate the loyal customers who mastered the refresh method. The days of virtually unlimited free fastpasses for those with nimble thumbs are, I strongly suspect, gone for good. But there needs to be a way to avoid standing in lines all day. The trick is to price it low enough that the non-rich can afford it, but high enough that it won't just swell the fastpass lines and defeat the purpose. I think Disney will find that sweet spot. The cost will be alarming. But we'll end up paying it.

For many of us, a Disney vacation where virtually all of the good rides necessitate standing in a line for around an hour is a no go --- certainly not at the current costs. And, as crowds increase going into spring break, the waits are likely to increase even more. No, thank you.

Disney will need to find a way to placate the loyal customers who mastered the refresh method. The days of virtually unlimited free fastpasses for those with nimble thumbs are, I strongly suspect, gone for good. But there needs to be a way to avoid standing in lines all day. The trick is to price it low enough that the non-rich can afford it, but high enough that it won't just swell the fastpass lines and defeat the purpose. I think Disney will find that sweet spot. The cost will be alarming. But we'll end up paying it.

Yes the refresh method was good. However, it was to the point where unless you were on site for 5+ days you could not get FP+ for any headliners. That is where FP+ was starting to break. What's the point of FP+ if it is just getting you through Winnie the Pooh 15x in a row. Also people keep talking about the waits being so long clearly are not monitoring the wait times through other apps or people and are only relying on MDE. Even on President's Day Weekend wait times were not unmanageable.

Honestly, visiting during this time proves to me what was wrong with FP in the first place. I've gone on Peter Pan's Flight more during this pandemic than I ever have before it. With FP, this was near-impossible. Horrible standby lines that would not move. And who honestly wants to use a FP on Peter Pan.. if you can get one? Even Mine Train's line has been more manageable.. and they really work hard to get people on and off that ride QUICK.

Some attractions just shouldn't have FP in the first place and it seemed like they created such a beast that it forced WDW to add it to everything and I do mean everything. If it comes back, I'd like to see it come back on A LOT less attractions.. maybe follow Disneyland's lead of only really having it on headliners mostly. I also would not be opposed to MaxPass as it works great in DLR.

I'll just have to beg to differ... To best maximize any trip you need to do some research. I am always amazed when someone in a queue asks which Disney park are the Harry Potter rides or maybe we should have purchased those FastPasses.

If I'm spending thousands of dollars on a holiday I am doing some research. Matters not if it is Disney, Hawaii, Europe, or where to park at the local museum.

If I want a carefree need-to-know-nothing vacation I would book an all-inclusive in Jamaica... (What, I need a passport?)

A 5 minute Google search will get you all you need to know about getting a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance.
If you follow the 5 minute instructions, you won’t ever actually get a boarding pass.

you’ll pause to check off people or be looking for a return time and miss your window.

if I go on a trip to Italy, I don’t need to book every single thing I do 2 months in advance, with the possibility that maybe I could book it same day if I spend half the day on my phone doing so.
Honestly, visiting during this time proves to me what was wrong with FP in the first place. I've gone on Peter Pan's Flight more during this pandemic than I ever have before it. With FP, this was near-impossible. Horrible standby lines that would not move. And who honestly wants to use a FP on Peter Pan.. if you can get one? Even Mine Train's line has been more manageable.. and they really work hard to get people on and off that ride QUICK.

Some attractions just shouldn't have FP in the first place and it seemed like they created such a beast that it forced WDW to add it to everything and I do mean everything. If it comes back, I'd like to see it come back on A LOT less attractions.. maybe follow Disneyland's lead of only really having it on headliners mostly. I also would not be opposed to MaxPass as it works great in DLR.
The current state of things is infinitely better for everyone except the very small percentage of people who wanted to be staring at their phones all day snagging additional fastpasses and crisscrossing around the entire park to use them.

The current system of "everybody waits" means everyone waits less, and do a same-day virtual queue for the headline rides with limited throughput just like with ROTR. Stagger the times for queue entry or do a rolling entry with a fixed number of slots for the day (like they do for the Gideon's line at DS).

Making it fair for everyone and getting people INTO the park to wait is in Disney's best interest because people in the park spend money. Booking everything in advance and going on 40 rides a day doesn't equal money for Disney unless they charge you for the rides.

I do miss fast passes.
We went in Dec. and end up leaving everyday after lunch. By then the lines were too long. We have been often enough, and always get fast passes, it wasn't worth the wait for us.
The lines do look longer than they are, but there is a person or a sign saying how long the wait is.
But.....mornings are so nice.

Yes the refresh method was good. However, it was to the point where unless you were on site for 5+ days you could not get FP+ for any headliners. That is where FP+ was starting to break. What's the point of FP+ if it is just getting you through Winnie the Pooh 15x in a row. Also people keep talking about the waits being so long clearly are not monitoring the wait times through other apps or people and are only relying on MDE. Even on President's Day Weekend wait times were not unmanageable.
We often changed our plans when we woke up in the morning and could still get headliners....we would ride top rides multiple times each day with FP's. When people talk about waits 'only' being 20-30 minutes or 45-60 for headliners, that's not a good thing in my books. As much as I would love to be there, and happily wait in lines if it meant I could, those lines would annoy me.

Not even close for us. We had no problems getting headliners all day same day with very, very little effort. It wasn't unusual for me to get multiple FOPs in a day.

I didn't miss FP on my trip in August because they weren't needed, but I'm sure I would feel differently if I went now. But I still believe that FPs just aren't feasible at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter