Ticket types

This depends on your touring style, how many in your group, ages, ride preferences, etc. Will you have strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs, etc.? Will you be using FP (MP/digital or non-digital)? For some people hoppers are essential and help them get the most out of MP. For others, hopping is exhausting and too distracting. They don't use MP either, so they don't miss hopping. Personally, I would get the hoppers if the budget allows. We hop regularly on our park days. But it isn't absolutely essential to have a great time at DLR.

you will find that there are

1. People who tell you a park hopper is a MUST
2. People who tell you 1 park a day works great
3. People who use Maxpass and say park hopper makes the best use of it
4. People who use Maxpass and just 1 day per park
5. People who dont use Maxpass

It depends on

1. Your touring style
2. Your budget

Thanks. Our dilemma is that we can get a 4 day 1 park per day ticket for the same cost as a 3 day hopper ticket. We’ve done WDW quite a few times but this is our first trip to California and are trying to work out which gives us the most flexibility.

Again, how many in your group? Ages? Any mobility issues? Touring style: commando open to close? Relaxed, stop and smell the roses? All rides, all the time? More of a shows, atmosphere, some rides, characters, TS meals, etc.? This all makes a big difference. With little ones and slower styles, one park per day can be really good. For no little ones and a rides, rides, rides day, get the hoppers and use MP. Different styles, different tickets. Also, what are your trip dates? There is a very good promo deal going on right now that's good until mid-May.
The information in this classic thread might help you decide: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Last edited:
Park hopping is very easy and is done a lot at Disneyland. If you look on google maps you can see the distance between the two parks is minimal compared to WDW. The red arrow below indicates the walk between Disneyland to Disney California Adventure. We treat the entire place as one big park and often hop several times per day. Also as others have said with the beauty of MaxPass you can book fastpasses in either park, even when you are in your hotel for a break - so it just increases how much you can accomplish compared to pulling traditional fast passes which needs to be done in person near the ride.
upload_2019-2-3_10-7-49.png

Definitely commando tourers. Older teens and no mobility issues. Dawn till dusk works for us. Four us of. Will be there in July and August.

Definitely commando tourers. Older teens and no mobility issues. Dawn till dusk works for us. Four us of. Will be there in July and August.
Do the hoppers with MP. No question. Study this thread: www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/. Come back with all your MP questions. The better your understanding of MP and your FP skillz, the more you'll be able to get done in the parks. It will be very crowded, but the parks will be prepared for that. Will you be staying on site?

I've always enjoyed the flexibility of being able to go between the parks. BUT my next (currently unscheduled) trip is likely to be a more days but not utilizing hopping. Last time I checked (over a year ago) I could get a 5 day nonhopper for the same cost as a 3 day hopper. I liked the idea of having more days and spending time outside the parks then spending the entire day in the parks.

You are most welcome! Come back with any new questions. Keep up to date with this board -- especially as opening date for SWGE draws near and after the new land opens. You'll get lots of great tips and strategies for handling the crowds before your trip dates.

It does sound like your family (park commandos) would do well with the hoppers BUT if you’re deciding between 3 day hoppers or 4 day non-hoppers, I’d probably choose the non-hoppers. I mean, it is another whole day at DL.

When I would go without kids, I'd always do the park hopper. Now with 2 kids, I just find it easier to do the 1 park per day option. I will be doing a Mommy/Daughter trip with my 8 year old in late April/early May, and with that awesome ticket offer through undercover tourist, we'll do 3 days (2 at DL, and 1 at CA).

My family (including DDs 13 and 10) would MUCH prefer 3 day hoppers over 4 day non hoppers. We always do 3 days and we go hard :) We use maxpass and hop like crazy. We have fun going back and forth and getting onto as many rides as possible. We pull MaxPasses all day long and typically book the next one in line for the one we are on. I got 34,000 steps on this past Saturday (because of the rain we got on even more rides than usual!) I know this isn't how everyone likes to travel, but it's how I've traveled all my life and my girls seem to enjoy it as well. We really enjoy the three days to the max and then are ready to collapse at the end!!

The other reason we like the hoppers is sometimes Disneyland gets too crowded so we like to escape a bit to California Adventure where it always feels like there is more room. I bet that will be even more of an issue when Galaxy's Edge opens.

My family (including DDs 13 and 10) would MUCH prefer 3 day hoppers over 4 day non hoppers. We always do 3 days and we go hard :) We use maxpass and hop like crazy. We have fun going back and forth and getting onto as many rides as possible. We pull MaxPasses all day long and typically book the next one in line for the one we are on. I got 34,000 steps on this past Saturday (because of the rain we got on even more rides than usual!) I know this isn't how everyone likes to travel, but it's how I've traveled all my life and my girls seem to enjoy it as well. We really enjoy the three days to the max and then are ready to collapse at the end!!

The other reason we like the hoppers is sometimes Disneyland gets too crowded so we like to escape a bit to California Adventure where it always feels like there is more room. I bet that will be even more of an issue when Galaxy's Edge opens.

This is a good example of the exact reason why I recommended hoppers to the OP -- the OP's kids are teenagers, the touring style is commando open to close, rides are the priority, and because SWGE will be open when they visit -- being able to escape the crowds by hopping to DCA will be a valuable advantage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter