Ticket decisions

Supermavs

Mouseketeer
Hi Disboarders!
This summer it is time for me to take another child to DL (I take them once they finish 8th grade)

We plan to just go for 2 days. I was going to buy one park per day because there is plenty to do to in both parks and I like focusing on one park at a time. I hope to buy maxpass, though the price increase is making it tough to swallow.

What I need help deciding is which should I do, maxpass or hoppers? The main reason I would want hoppers is the chance to get on ROTR. I worry we might not get it the first day. Obviously maxpass has huge value in grabbing fast passes wherever we are AND grabbing ones that randomly come available.

it’s a financial stretch getting the trip to happen so I’m doing my best to budget well. If anyone can help me weigh the pros and cons it might help me
make my decision. Adding to that is the pressure to hurry and buy my tickets from LMTC before they raise the prices. Or maybe I am overlooking a better option?
Thanks!
Becky

Well 2 thoughts.
First, I don’t know LMTC is, but maxpass and park hopper can usually be added after the fact, so you should be able to just buy the base ticket and decide later (assuming this LMTC thing converts to a real ticket)

Secondly, if this is a once in a lifetime trip, don’t overlook the fact that maxpass also has photopass so you can get some professional photos taken.

One final thought. You can always add park hopper to only the last day I believe.

Well 2 thoughts.
First, I don’t know LMTC is,

Secondly, if this is a once in a lifetime trip, don’t overlook the fact that maxpass also has photopass so you can get some professional photos taken.
Lmtc is a place/travel co to buy tickets at a slight discount.
It’s not exactly once in a lifetime, just very rare.
I do love the photopass options. I forgot about that. Thanks.
Only thing is we have 9 kids so this type of trips keeps happening every couple years. 😂 So budgeting and trying to keep things as cheap as i can is pretty important.

LMTC = Last Minute Travel Company

That and Get Away Today are the ones that typically have the best prices for tickets.

I would get both (hoppers and Max Pass). You can purchase a base ticket and add Max Pass and hoppers on later, but prices could go up again, depending on when you end up going. They shouldn't, but I seem to vaguely recall one year when DLR raised prices of tickets twice in the same year :P

And, no, you cannot add park hopper to just one day. The price is the same whether you buy it the first day or the last day. The parks are so close together that it is worth it to hop, especially during the summer!

Lmtc is a place/travel co to buy tickets at a slight discount.
It’s not exactly once in a lifetime, just very rare.
I do love the photopass options. I forgot about that. Thanks.
Only thing is we have 9 kids so this type of trips keeps happening every couple years. 😂 So budgeting and trying to keep things as cheap as i can is pretty important.

Have you checked a-res travel? They have every combination of tickets with or without MP still available until 2/20 or when they sell out.

I would get both (hoppers and Max Pass). You can purchase a base ticket and add Max Pass and hoppers on later, but prices could go up again, depending on when you end up going. They shouldn't, but I seem to vaguely recall one year when DLR raised prices of tickets twice in the same year :P

I’m definitely buying tickets now to avoid another hike. If money weren’t an issue I would of course buy hoppers AND maxpass. But I just can’t afford that, I I need to decide what to chose. :)

I would do the hopper and make use of the fastpass machines. With only two days you might want the flexibility of switching parks if you didn't get a chance to ride or see something the previous day.

I would get the hoppers for a couple of reasons. 1, I don't feel like DCA is a full day park. 2, DL usually closes 2-3 hours before DCA, so that's some valuable park time right there.

Then, I would get a jar and start tossing change and random dollar bills you find in the laundry into the jar. Then when you go you can use that money to add max pass if you want.

If you have to choose, I'd do Parkhoppers. You can always get Fastpasses via machines and the flexibility of both parks is great.

I’m the opposite. I myself am also doing 2 day (one park per day tickets). I purchased from LMTC and got great rate. I will add MaxPass when in the park. This was most economical for us.

So we are going in June. Family of 4. We had already decided on a 2 day, one park per day. As a family we *gasp* decided both days in DL because we would like to try for ROTR twice. Now DH and I are in a debate about adding MP because it’s an $80 a day. It’s a hard decision.

Our last trip we did one park per day and could not really find enough to do at DCA. To be fair, we did not have MP at DCA, so later in the evening no one wanted to wait in the lines which were long and there wasn’t any more FP for the day. We had done all the rides we wanted to do and were done for the day quite early, even with our kids playing for two hours in Redwood Creek.

On DL days I never wish we had a hopper. On DCA days I wish we had a hopper.

It sounds like this is a special trip, so maybe do a hopper and then just pull paper FP?

have a great time!!

So the answers to the following questions lead to a natural conclusion.
1. Is DCA a must to you?
2. What value is riding ROTR the first time? And the second time?
Without a hopper, worst case is that you scan into Disneyland the first day, but did not get a boarding group, then you cannot get to DCA during this entire trip as you need to give ROTR another try the second day; best case is either you get to ride ROTR twice but cannot get into DCA or you ride ROTR first day and spend the second day in DCA.
So I sort of feel hopper is more important. I feel if you arrange it in an appropriate way, you can definitely do all major attractions in both parks during your 2 day trip.

What I need help deciding is which should I do, maxpass or hoppers? The main reason I would want hoppers is the chance to get on ROTR. I worry we might not get it the first day. Obviously maxpass has huge value in grabbing fast passes wherever we are AND grabbing ones that randomly come available.

Last edited:
If your physical capabilities to run around the parks collecting fast passes are fine, then that's not that big of a deal. It definitely takes more time and physical stamina. That's what my husband and I used to do. Now because of various health conditions, we need to slow down and be smart about how much walking back and forth we do, so we highly utilize maxpass. I like that I can look for dropped fast passes and get them for rides throughout the day. And that we can stack them while taking an afternoon break at the hotel. We ride more fastpass rides this way. We usually get 1 park per day passes and maxpass.

We really love DCA and can easily spend a full day there, but the option of trying DL first and getting a boarding group for ROTR and choosing two days in Disneyland isn’t one I had thought of, so I’ll give that one thought for sure.

I'll stray from the majority here and say maxpass over hoppers. My daughter and I have annual passes with maxpass, so have the ability to hop and maxpass at will. When we bring other people, we always get them to buy one park per day tickets and add maxpass. Here's why:

1. We can easily spend a full day at DCA especially with all the shows and attractions (we love the animating academy!).

2. Maxpass is the best! I agree $20 per person per day is a hard pill to swallow now though. But it makes the parks so much more enjoyable. I never liked criss-crossing the parks multiple times a day to pull fastpasses. With maxpass, it's like having a VIP guide take me around. I love it!

3. We tend to do DCA without a break, so if we go from 8am to 6pm I'm kinda tired at that point and don't feel like going to DL anyway. In DL we'll take a midday break so we can last until midnight.

You could always wait to add hoppers or maxpass once there and see if the craziness with the boarding groups dies down by then. You can also start at DL on day one, try for a boarding group, and if you get it great! Get maxpass. If you don't, get hoppers and hope for better luck on day 2.

In either case, good luck and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter