Thunderstorms :(

Buy a poncho and keep going! We really like it when it rains because people leave and the lines get short :)

The forecasts do make it sound like it's all day right now and hoping that not to be true! We had planned to be back at the resorts from about 2-6 every day to use the pool and nap. Hoping that doesn't get ruined. I also had planned to do a late WP day one day but that may not happen. Hoping we can go with the flow and change things up as needed to take advantage of the days where weather is nice to do pool/WP. I am also trying to figure out what to pack for everyone to keep us happy in the rain! I have done raining/cold but never hot/rainy.

Its the same forecast every day of the year. If you go April thru October, there will be rain at least 15 minutes every day. Run into a store for a few minutes, then enjoy the rest of your sunny day!

The forecasts do make it sound like it's all day right now and hoping that not to be true! We had planned to be back at the resorts from about 2-6 every day to use the pool and nap. Hoping that doesn't get ruined. I also had planned to do a late WP day one day but that may not happen. Hoping we can go with the flow and change things up as needed to take advantage of the days where weather is nice to do pool/WP. I am also trying to figure out what to pack for everyone to keep us happy in the rain! I have done raining/cold but never hot/rainy.

I hear you! My son has autism, and the water is very calming for him, especially after spending a few hours dealing with the crowds in the parks. On our previous trip, we were heading back to the resort around 1 to swim, which was the routine we had done the previous two days, and it started to storm. Thunder, lightning, the whole bit. Obviously NOT able to go in the pool. Poor kid had a sensory overload meltdown - finally was able to calm down by taking a 60 minute bath, or at least splashing in the tub for an hour! I had to sop up water off the tile floor afterwards, but at least he was able to calm down. Rained off and on all evening, too. I'm just hoping to avoid another one of those situations this time!

We will be at AK on Sunday too! This is normal for Florida this time of year! Plus, when the rains come down, the crowds thin out;)

We are here now. The crowd level at Epcot yesterday was low and we had two storms pass through. It is normal during the season especially to rain daily. There is a system off coast currently that could bring more weather than normal but the overcast clouds make it very comfortable to be outside, and the breeze is heavenly. If you think about it that way, you'll have a positive spin on it and really, really enjoy! After all, you're in Disney! What's not to love! As long as you plan for the wet weather, you're going to be fine!

I second the OP's remark. we have often seen rain in just one park or area and not another. Most summer rain is quick and moves fast. We keep an eye on the sky, when black clouds are overhead we get inside or get out the ponchos before the deluge.

Like everyone else, we enjoy it when it rains. The parks are so empty.

We were at AK last September when a storm hit. It was so nice, it was hotter during the day and the rain felt good. The only rides that closed were Everest and possibly the rapids? It was a great day. We really enjoyed the park. Unfortunately DH missed Everest as they said there was lightening near by and they didn't get a chance to reopen the ride that day. The rest of the park was great!

Storms can be fun too. I have fond memories of standing in the HM queue and not knowing whether the thunder was real or recorded. And Splash during a downpour is awesome for those who like to get really, really wet. We cheated and wore ponchos, feeling it was justified by the insane weather. The faces of those still in line when they saw the drowned rats sloshing off the ride was priceless.

We are here now. The crowd level at Epcot yesterday was low and we had two storms pass through. It is normal during the season especially to rain daily. There is a system off coast currently that could bring more weather than normal but the overcast clouds make it very comfortable to be outside, and the breeze is heavenly. If you think about it that way, you'll have a positive spin on it and really, really enjoy! After all, you're in Disney! What's not to love! As long as you plan for the wet weather, you're going to be fine!

We went at the end of April and I was devastated that the weather predicted 80% rain every day! That's more than the passing thunderstorm we would normally expect. We had a small drizzle on arrival day then nothing more. Not one drop the whole week! I am learning to go with the flow and even it it does rain, just enjoy the day. Last fall, we experienced MNSSHP in costumes in the pouring rain, as in torrential downpours. You adjust, buy a great poncho and keep going!

I hear you! My son has autism, and the water is very calming for him, especially after spending a few hours dealing with the crowds in the parks. On our previous trip, we were heading back to the resort around 1 to swim, which was the routine we had done the previous two days, and it started to storm. Thunder, lightning, the whole bit. Obviously NOT able to go in the pool. Poor kid had a sensory overload meltdown - finally was able to calm down by taking a 60 minute bath, or at least splashing in the tub for an hour! I had to sop up water off the tile floor afterwards, but at least he was able to calm down. Rained off and on all evening, too. I'm just hoping to avoid another one of those situations this time!

My son also has autism, and he is the exact opposite! He loves thunderstorms and rain. :) I never really thought about how it can upset and cause sensory overload but I can see how it could. Just goes to show how different responses can be in autistic individuals :daisy:

Forecast said 100% chance of thunder storms by Disney World last Sunday, all day. The reality though was 5 minutes of rain and no thunder. Don't believe the forecasts here, they're almost never right.
The doom and gloom reports of constant rain all weekend were soooo wrong

It also helps to remember that "80% chance of storms" does not mean that it will rain for 80% of the day, or it will rain over 80% of the forecast area, or there's an 80% chance it will rain all day and all night.

It means that there is an 80% chance that there will be at least one storm, somewhere in the forecast area. That storm could be 10 minutes long, or only be over MK, and that would still be an accurate forecast.

Which is pretty much the typical daily summer forecast in Central FL. One or two very localized, brief storms. Sometimes not even over a whole theme park. I've stood in bright sunshine in Canada in Epcot, and watched it rain on Mexico.

The doom and gloom reports of constant rain all weekend were soooo wrong

Yep, they sure were. We decided long ago that if it forecasts sun, expect rain and if the forecast is rain, expect it to be sunny. As you probably know, we have two seasons here. Hot, and Hot and wet. :)

We also arrive on Friday so I've been watching the forecast. It literally changes hourly! I've already packed our supply of ponchos:sunny:.

I hope I'm sitting outside my room at POR with beer in hand when it starts this September. The rain at POR is truly tranquil.

Don't even look at the forecasts. We're here now - one night it said 100% chance for four straight fours and not a drop. Yesterday 15% and it rained for about six hours. Once we left the parks, came back to sit on balcony at OKW with other family we came with, had some drinks and played cards. Actually a nice break before heading back out in evening. Just forge ahead. Rain chases people out of the parks. You can buy a decent poncho at home for less than the $10 they charge here. Don't go for the Dollar Store $1 ponchos

It also helps to remember that "80% chance of storms" does not mean that it will rain for 80% of the day, or it will rain over 80% of the forecast area, or there's an 80% chance it will rain all day and all night.

It means that there is an 80% chance that there will be at least one storm, somewhere in the forecast area. That storm could be 10 minutes long, or only be over MK, and that would still be an accurate forecast.

Which is pretty much the typical daily summer forecast in Central FL. One or two very localized, brief storms. Sometimes not even over a whole theme park. I've stood in bright sunshine in Canada in Epcot, and watched it rain on Mexico.

This exactly! You explained it perfectly Lynne M! :)

This storm lasted maybe 10-15 minutes.... We went back to the room when we saw the clouds coming in, and were given a heck of a view of the storm.

Even if it storms, they normally only have a minimal impact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter