Thunderstorms in August

Stitch35

Mouseketeer
I know this is probably a crazy question, but how severe are the storms that I read occur daily in August? Are they usually short lived? Is it cloud to ground lightning in the parks? I can only take time off in August to go to WDW with my DS9 and DS6. However, I have a SEVERE phobia of cloud to ground lighting due to a traumatic event earlier in my life. I would be the only adult in my party. Thank you for your input.

Yes, there can be cloud to ground strikes in, as well outside of the parks during a storm. There's lots of rain and winds can gust high during a storm. The best thing to do is seek shelter quickly, not under a tree, but in a building like a gift shop Several summers ago our family got stuck outside during a really bad storm at the MK bus area.

Usually the storms don't last long (1/2 hour or so) and we've done summer trips with no rain at all. They can get quite intense though.

Thank you all! I think I will try and get my families (I own an in home daycare with contracted time off in August) to approve time off in November or early December and scratch an August trip. I didn't even think about lightning being prevalent. It's a true phobia and being without another adult would not be the best idea.

With all the water that surrounds the parks, you end up with lots of cloud to ground strikes. We were stuck out in a storm at the security bag check at MK in july when a big lightning strike hit the water very close to shore. You could feel the heat and electricity in the air, it was very scary.

With all the water that surrounds the parks, you end up with lots of cloud to ground strikes. We were stuck out in a storm at the security bag check at MK in july when a big lightning strike hit the water very close to shore. You could feel the heat and electricity in the air, it was very scary.

This is what I'm trying to avoid. My phobia started when I was stuck in a storm for 3 hours in my car years ago. Lighting was striking within a couple feet of the car the whole time. I finally made it home and thought I had time to get in the house. Lightning struck so close I could feel it as I reached my door. I know that feeling of heat electricity you're talking about. Definitely changing our plans. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter