Thrill Questions - Pandora and Expedition Everest

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Questions about the above rides

1. Is Pandora similar to Soarin in that you are not really moving but it is a simulator ride? Or are you moving? And if the latter, is it rough, any acceleration or drops?
  2. Does Expedition Everest go upside down?

1. Is Pandora similar to Soarin in that you are not really moving but it is a simulator ride? Or are you moving? And if the latter, is it rough, any acceleration or drops?

FP is very similar to Soarin. You don't move. You sit on a "motorcycle-like" seat though, versus what Soarin has.

EE does not go upside down. Just backwards.

FP is very similar to Soarin. You don't move. You sit on a "motorcycle-like" seat though, versus what Soarin has.

EE does not go upside down. Just backwards.
FoP does have more movement to it than Soarin though less jerky movement than Star Tours. But in general, you are not moving on a track like you would be on a coaster.

FoP does have more movement to it than Soarin though less jerky movement than Star Tours. But in general, you are not moving on a track like you would be on a coaster.
Thanks for explaining. I have to be careful with acceleration, bumpy rides and quick gravitational forces. Sounds like I would be ok on this one though.

I did find FOP more intense than Soarin...there were a couple of times I had to close my eyes in FOP because it felt much more like you were diving down fast. My husband can do Soarin but FOP was a one and done for him (he does get motion sick on simulators but not on roller coasters)

I did find FOP more intense than Soarin...there were a couple of times I had to close my eyes in FOP because it felt much more like you were diving down fast. My husband can do Soarin but FOP was a one and done for him (he does get motion sick on simulators but not on roller coasters)

I agree with you. Soarin was a walk in the park compared to FoP. I get motion sickness pretty easily, but I was fortunate that neither of these rides "got" me. I avoided Soarin for years out of fear of that but decided just to go in and close my eyes whenever. But outside of the "movie" on each one of them, the seat your are in really does not move like Star Tours of some of the simulator rides over at Universal. Those are too much for me.

I’d say that Flight of Passage tilts and kind of “bounces” up and down in order to simulate the flapping of the wings. If you ever find that the ride is too intense look around at the guests in the other compartments and you’ll get a good sense of how much you’re actually moving versus the dramatic scene being presented on the screen.

Thanks for the replies. Gives me a good idea of what you feel is how much you're actually moving good to know warning too about possible motion sickness.

Here is a video of FOP ride from where you put your bags ( this dose not move) but where your set is moves ( your want to go forward about 6-7 minutes to the ride it self

If you've ridden Soarin, the video of FoP will allow you to almost exactly predict what you're in for. Exact same type of technology but the difference between a relaxing hangglider and riding on the back of a banshee. Nothing that I would consider actual acceleration, definitely no major G-forces and the bumps are relatively mild.

Eek, that video makes the drops look terrible. I'm back to not attempting FoP!

The visual drops are significant. But, as a wimp and motion sickness person myself, don't miss this ride. Just close your eyes. I get avoiding rides where you can't control the movement of the ride, but this is movie and parts of it are mild. You'll know when the drops are coming and you can easily close your eyes and "opt out."

If you've ridden Soarin, the video of FoP will allow you to almost exactly predict what you're in for. Exact same type of technology but the difference between a relaxing hangglider and riding on the back of a banshee. Nothing that I would consider actual acceleration, definitely no major G-forces and the bumps are relatively mild.
Perfect. Thank you.

So Everest is good for my son as he loves roller coasters but will not go on any that go upside down (as they make him sick).
And Pandora will be fine for me (with respect to health issues).

Debating between Epcot and AK, but want to get a good idea of the rides to know if they are options are each park. Then will compare the two and what each park offers for us, and then decide.

EE does not go upside down, but many people (myself included) reported "feeling" like they're upside down because it's a backwards corkscrew, if I remember correctly

This was my experience on EE. I was so convinced I had gone upside down that I googled it to settle a bet with the person who had ridden with me. I loved the sensation, but it was definitely an upside down feeling for me.

EE does not go upside down, but many people (myself included) reported "feeling" like they're upside down because it's a backwards corkscrew, if I remember correctly
This was my experience on EE. I was so convinced I had gone upside down that I googled it to settle a bet with the person who had ridden with me. I loved the sensation, but it was definitely an upside down feeling for me.
Thanks for sharing. So it might be one to cross of the list then for DS if we go to AK. It's not the fear but he gets nauseous on upside down coasters.

Closing your eyes doesn't really work to alleviate motion sickness. It will help a scaredy cat ride something scary lol but it won't really make you feel better if you're suffering from motion sickness. A little dramamine or a motion sickness patch will take care of most of the issues people have. I get pretty bad motion sickness from the screen rides - I can't even play first person video games without turning green. I also can easily get sea sick, air sick and definitely car sick unless I'm driving! Any time I'm going to be at a theme park or travelling, I take dramamine or bonine and I can enjoy it all. I used to skip so many rides, especially at Universal. Now that I know how well the motion sickness pills and patches work, there are only 2 that I definitely can't deal with no matter what I take - Simpsons and Harry Potter FJ. Everything else I can ride several times in a row with no issues. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try such an easy fix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter