Thrift Savings Plan?

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
or whatever the correct term is (it's the one that you can deposit up to $10,000 into while in a combat zone and earn 10% interest rate).

I have read the info I can find on it but still have a couple unanswered questions.

I know they have to be in the combat zone for 30 days before they can use this. They can contribute up to $10,000 into it.

Do the funds have to be contributed from their pay/earnings? Or if you had $10,000 in another account at a lesser rate could you transfer that $10,000 into the TSP all at once?

Thanks!

I don't know how the combat stuff works but dh uses TSP and it's all taken off the top from his pay each check. It's basically a pre-tax dollars retirement fund and there is a yearly cap on how much you can tax shelter in there.

I would think you cannot take it from another account. It would probably defeat the purpose anyway.

Cristy, you want the Savings Deposit Program (SDP). Everything has to be arranged by your husband while in combat.

There was a time when you could just dump a chunk of change in the account and call it a day but things have changed but I don't know the extent of it.

Here is a link to read about the program and the attached pamphelt.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/woundedwarriorpay/savingsdepositprogramsdp.html

Also, in case you didn't know this, any money your husband puts in a IRA while deployed is tax free upon withdrawl at qualified age.

Cristy, you want the Savings Deposit Program (SDP). Everything has to be arranged by your husband while in combat.

There was a time when you could just dump a chunk of change in the account and call it a day but things have changed but I don't know the extent of it.

Here is a link to read about the program and the attached pamphelt.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/woundedwarriorpay/savingsdepositprogramsdp.html

Also, in case you didn't know this, any money your husband puts in a IRA while deployed is tax free upon withdrawl at qualified age.

Thanks Tina!

I dont know if you can put it all in at once-but we maxed our SDP account in just over 3 months this time last year. You can not transfer other monies into it-i mean you can make your deposits from where ever you choose but you cant to an account transfer-he has to go to finance to make the deposits. Also -for Guard soldiers-you have to withdrawn it from that account and move it somewhere else with in 90 days of leaving theater. However they can not withdraw from it earlier-i.e you couldnt max it-then spend it over R and R and max it again. We maxed it and then went back to putting money in a regular savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter