Three weeks from trip... Not fully potty trained :/

Please use the pull ups. Our absolute worst Disney day was the result of a kid pissing his way down the Boneyard slide and my unsuspecting (and fully potty trained) 2 year old sliding down behind him. We did not have extra clothes or underwear, though the other kids mom did, and joked about how he did this EVERY DAY.

FYI, Animal Kingdom doesn't sell a single pair of shorts or pants that will stay up on a two year old. And try explaining to a 2 year old why his pants are covered in piss, yet HE hasn't peed in his pants.

So - if there is any doubt at all, please please use a pull up. An accident may have repercussions beyond your expectations.

Omg. This is a nightmare.

I don't know if they still make it....but....

MICKEY MOUSE UNDERWEAR!!!

As a great nanny once said, "in every job which must be done, there is a element of fun". I had the Mickey underwear as a kid when potty training was going on. Yes, I do remember that far back.

As much as I hate using extrinsic rewards with kids in the classroom, it pays off big time for potty training. My mom is a pediatric nurse practitioner and developed a system which has been successful with many, many children.

Urination

Set up a sticker chart. Get a piece of poster board and divide it into seven sections for each day of the week. Label it "My Big Boy Chart" (or "Big Girl" if you have a girl). Take your child to any store which sells stickers and pick some out that THEY like. If your child successfully urinates, they get to pick a sticker and put it on the day of the week. This is also a good way to teach sight words with days of the week (it's NEVER too young to start encouraging this).

Bowel Movements

These are trickier, so in addition to a sticker on the chart, reward a successful bowel movement with an M&M. You will probably have to help your child wipe, but as long as they are able to tell you they are ready for it, it should work fine until they are neat enough to understand how to do it properly.

DO take the pull-ups, and get the waterproof ones for pool areas since it is harder for kids to know when to go in the pool. Also, don't use the underwear at night if they're not fully potty trained. However, using this system, you can potty train rather quickly since the rewards are there.

Our son was 3.5 during his first WDW trip. Pullups worked great, since we couldn't always get to a bathroom right away. And as soon as we got back from WDW, he was potty trained within a few weeks.

Now our daughter is 3.5 and in the same boat. Not quite there yet.

Our last family trip was during potty training. Informed my child that diapers were not sold at WDW and that we wouldn't be taking any. Stopped at regular intervals on our road trip from TX to FL. Not a single accident during the whole trip.

Use pull-ups. You don't want to risk an accident while your kid is sitting in a spot that someone else will soon sit.

I had a couple trips with kids sort-of potty trained. We did pull-ups in the parks. I didn't want to risk an accident at a bad time. They actually did better at Disney than at home that trip even though they had on pull-ups instead of underwear. There were zero accidents. I think it was because we had bathroom breaks built in more and had the child try more often. (Though, that doesn't mean you won't have to ever get out of line when your kid suddenly has to go!) I'm still glad I did pull-ups even with zero accidents. It was worth it for peace of mind and less anxiety worrying about a possible accident.

I'll confess, I haven't read the other posts. Just go for the pull ups. There is no need to stress out on a big family vacation. Treat them like underwear. Go and buy some of those cute Princess or Disney ones that the things disappear when they have an accident. Provide a candy/small trinket at the end of the day if she keeps them there. KWIM? DD was 2 1/2 when we went to Hawaii. We did a Hawaiian cruise and the cruise ship toilets freaked her out. She wouldn't go to any bathroom to save her life. We ended up putting her in diapers the entire trip. The minute we walked into our house at the end of the trip she went and used the potty!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter