Three Day Solo Trip in September

Sona99

Loving living in Florida
Hello all!

It's been 7 years since I last set foot in Disney World. That trip was a 25th wedding anniversary trip with hubby. This is my first solo trip. DD is all grown up and in grad school. Hubby has to take a work trip out of the country. I thought I would treat myself to a 3 full day trip to Disney.

I live in Tampa, so I got the nice 3 day discounted tickets. Made a reservation to stay at the French Quarter (never been, always choose a new place when staying on property). Driving over on the 8th of September, after dropping hubby at the airport. I expect to arrive around 3 pm. Decided to spend that half day at Disney Springs. I've a dinner reservation at the Boathouse but other than that no plans but to shop. I'm old enough to miss the Adventurer's Club, tho.

Saturday I chose HS for my first full day. Haven't seen any of the Star Wars stuff so that'll be my focus.
Sunday I chose Epcot for Food and Wine fun.
Monday MK and scored Kona reservations.

Tuesday I check out. I was thinking of hitting mini golf after sleeping in a bit. Not sure which one yet - any suggestions? I love mini golfing and have never been to the Disney courses. In the afternoon I pick up hubby and head back to Tampa.

I haven't done any of the mini golf so I don't have much to offer in that regard - but I think you've set yourself up for a fun solo trip. If you can, try to get a reservation at Ogas Cantina - they have both cocktails and mocktails and its a must for any Star Wars fan. Have a blast!

The Fantasia mini golf course (near the Swan/Dolphin) is excellent. You'll have to check to see if you can get a reservation. The last time I tried to play there, there was a 1+hour wait, so I didn't go.

The Winterland/Summerland courses are adorable and much easier than Fantasia. The only time I played there I had only a short wait before I could start.

There's a boat between POFQ and DS (in case you weren't aware). Also beignets at FQ. Yummy.

Since you have never seen SWGE, you want to either rope-drop RotR (Rise of the Resistance) or purchase an ILL$ for it. It's not to be missed.

Have a great trip!

I live in Tampa, so I got the nice 3 day discounted tickets. Made a reservation to stay at the French Quarter (never been, always choose a new place when staying on property). Driving over on the 8th of September, after dropping hubby at the airport. I expect to arrive around 3 pm. Decided to spend that half day at Disney Springs. I've a dinner reservation at the Boathouse but other than that no plans but to shop. I'm old enough to miss the Adventurer's Club, tho.
This sounds like a fantastic trip! I'm so sorry I didn't do something like this (more often) when I lived closer. Now, it's a trip just to get down to WDW.

I've also never tried the mini-golf, but it's on my list of things to do next time. Mini-golf + Disney? What's not to like?!

Have a great trip!

Thank you!

We had a trip planned for 2020. You can guess how that went! Oh well!

I'm most excited to be doing F&W again. Really loved it the last time. Add all the new SW stuff at HS this should be a fun trip.

That sounds great, I'm so jealous! I've done 2 solo trips in the last 2 years and I already want to go on my third.

Do what you want, when you want, and go with the flow. Have fun!

Weird, I too live near the Tampa area and also like choosing a new-to-me resort each time I go. French Quarter is one of my top 5 favorite resorts. Check out the jazz lounge if you want to hear some live music, good food, and a nicely made Hurricane drink.

You may want to double check, but I think if you drive to Fantasia Gardens, you may have to pay for parking since it's the Swan Reserve lot.

I am also taking a solo trip (9/9 thru 9/12). I’m staying in a Princess a room at Riverside. We stayed at French Quarter in May and absolutely loved it. Since this trip was booked on a whim and with great airfare I decided to stay at riverside

For the minigolf, Fantasia was always slightly better kept and in better working order - but one thing I always loved about Winter/Summer is that it's two courses in one - I often go there and play both sides back to back...it's generally less crowded too - especially if you play at night when the water park is closed - of course, then you have to drive there as the water park busses aren't running. Since Blizzard is still under reno, you'd be driving either way for now.

For Fantasia, I used to occasionally drive there, but with Swan Reserve placed on top of it, I prefer to take the Disney busses. From French Quarter, I'd take the boat to Disney Springs and hop any of the Swan & Dolphin, Beach, Yacht, or Boardwalk busses and walk over to Fantasia.

Enjoy the solo trip - I love my solo trips and have been doing them now for over 10 years - I have to take at least one a year, sometimes two - just such a different and more relaxed vibe from the friends and family trips! I'll be there in mid-September for a solo - looking forward to it.

Thanks, everyone. Sorry I've been MIA - was moving DD into college.

17 days left!

Slightly off topic question but I've been driving to Disney since we bought our vacation home in Clearwater about 10 years ago. Traveling I-4 to Disney has gotten progressively worse each year. What was once a 75 minute drive in now consistently over 2 hours. Doesn't seem to matter what day of the week I travel either. Being a local Is there a better way you would recommend to bypass that last bit of I-4 that always seems backed up?

Thanks!!

I haven't done any of the mini golf so I don't have much to offer in that regard - but I think you've set yourself up for a fun solo trip. If you can, try to get a reservation at Ogas Cantina - they have both cocktails and mocktails and its a must for any Star Wars fan. Have a blast!
Agree about Oga’s. I’ve done it as a solo 60-something woman and it was a great break in the heat of the afternoon. Single ressie was easy to get.

Slightly off topic question but I've been driving to Disney since we bought our vacation home in Clearwater about 10 years ago. Traveling I-4 to Disney has gotten progressively worse each year. What was once a 75 minute drive in now consistently over 2 hours. Doesn't seem to matter what day of the week I travel either. Being a local Is there a better way you would recommend to bypass that last bit of I-4 that always seems backed up?

Thanks!!

Sorry I missed this, we were away.

And no, I have not tried any other way. Looking at the map, maybe 27 to 192 to world drive, but I suspect that won't make it faster.

When my kids were small we enjoyed playing mini golf. We almost have the same solo itinerary but my trip starts the day after yours. I’m ready to eat around the world!

When my kids were small we enjoyed playing mini golf. We almost have the same solo itinerary but my trip starts the day after yours. I’m ready to eat around the world!

Yay for us solo ladies!

I started packing last night. I'm so excited!!!

Here's what I've found out going solo - It seems faster than you expect. Also, good planning helps. I get my ILL right at 7. I'm rope dropping early entry. I know exactly where I'm going and have a backup. I don't stop to shop and I take pics *after* the ride.

I walked on R&R and Test Track single rider. Smugglers run single rider was fast, too.

Today I'm at Epcot and I've done everything but Remy and frozen, all before 10:30.

I'm back.

I won't start a trip report thread but I will put my info here.

First let me preface that I'm not the kind of person who does meet and greets, nor do I go on the more kiddie rides for nostalgia. I never went to Disney as a kid.

I stayed at the French Quarter with a river view, building 6. Very quiet when I was there. The garden view of that building overlooks the area where they show the movies. I only had breakfast once at Sassagoula. It was not good and I did not eat there again. Also, mousekeeping is on an every other day schedule. However, they never cleaned my room in the 4 nights I stayed there.

Our bus was dedicated to all destinations - we did not share with any other resort. I appreciated the tv screen that showed the bus arrival times - they were mostly accurate. I took a boat to and from Disney Springs. The launch dock is behind the pool area along the river path. The arriving dock is way over on one end near the Christmas store. The bus to Disney Springs drops you off in the center.

As I mentioned before, a solo trip was much faster. I could do what I wanted, when I wanted. I had a list of attractions that were must do, and like to do. I got through all of them at MK and HS. Epcot I decided not to try for frozen or remy but I may very well have had the time to do so if I wanted.

I had originally has ADRs for dinner at all 3 parks I was going to and decided to cancel them all. More on that later.

Half day: Disney Springs. Walked into Boathouse with no ADR for lunch. Food was decent, had a water view, and got pixie dust of a cupcake when I mentioned this was a belated birthday trip. Shopped, got quick service dinner, wanted to ride the balloon but there was a storm and winds and it was closed.

First full day: HS. Star wars was the focus, although I had not been to Toy Story either. Rope dropped at 8:30. I did both Resistance and Smugglers no problem. The single rider lane for Smugglers was perfect. I ate at Docking Bay 7 and the Batuuan beef stir fry was actually one of the best things I ate all trip. Rode Toy story mania, Slinky, and alien saucers. I thought saucers was pretty rough for a kids ride. Slinky was great. And to round out the day, R&R, ToT, Mickey & Minnie and still had time to sit through Raiders. I miss the audience participation in Raiders. I got chosen one year and it was fun.

I took a mid afternoon break to go clean up and rest at the hotel, came back, and still finished before the park closed.

Day two: Epcot. My focus here was two things: Ride guardians and do food & wine, everything else was bonus. I got a ILL for Guardians at 9:15. Rope dropped at 8:30. Did Soaring, Living with the Land (mostly that one to kill time) then went to Guardians. I could go on and on about how awesome it is but ... I followed that up with single rider Test Track (super fast) and Spaceship Earth (mostly to kill time for F&W opening). Went up to the showcase, rode Mexico, and when I was done, F&W was open. I walked, shopped, ate until I was whooped and headed back to the hotel for another cleanup and rest. Returned around 4:30 for my second ride on Guardians. Then I walked and shopped the other half of the showcase until I was full and done.

Day three: MK. ILL Tron for 9:10. Tried to rope drop 7 Dwarves but it wasn't working, neither was Space mountain. Hit Buzz and killed time on the people mover until Tron. Tron is pretty good. Guardians is much, much better. I wouldn't pay for ILL again for Tron. Moved to the other side of the park for HM, Big Thunder, Pirates. Had a LL for Jungle just past one so I ate some lunch at Cosmic Rays first. (yeah, I walked back and forth alot). I just wandered a bit and shopped after jungle, then rode HM a second time, and then a third since the lines were so low during the parade. Took a Liberty riverboat ride, then got on the railway and back to the other side of the park for a virtual queue for Tron, again. Followed that up with the Laugh Floor, mostly for air conditioning and a chance to sit. By this time I was tired and hungry and wanted real food and not quick service. Ended up at the Diamond Horseshoe for dinner - that place was dead. Food was fine. After that, I was going to kill time shopping main street until the fireworks. At about 8:25 it started raining and never stopped. I gave up on the idea of fireworks at about 9:20. Had to wait for the bus (everyone was leaving, the busses were a madhouse) and got back to my hotel after 10, and it was still raining.

Why did I cancel my ADRs - with LL and virtual queue's you have no idea when you are going to ride something. To me, the rides were more important than the ADRs. I was ok with counter service when I wanted. Also, in the heat it was nice to choose when to go inside for a sit and a snack. Plus my appetite was diminished in the heat.

My tips:
Bring electrolyte powder and add it to your water. This kept me from terrible sun and heat headaches.
Bring a UV blocking umbrella - I read this tip on here and it was so useful, especially at Epcot where there is so little shade in the showcase.
Skip the personal fan - I tried mine the first day and it was so hot it was just blowing hot air in my face. I left it behind for the other two days.
Bring extra socks. I found that if I changed my socks after about 6 hours it made my feet feel better.
Bring extra underpants. Yeah, sounds weird but for the same reason as the socks, I felt better with clean undies. I just changed in the bathroom.
Wear a hat and redo your sunscreen often! I burn easily. I only got a few places on the back of my shoulder where my backpack strap rubbed it away.
For the hotel: Bring epsom salts. Soak in a hot tub with salts for about 15 minutes when you get back. It really helped with my tired legs.

Got questions: ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter