Thread for allergy foods updates

We went this past October to F&W (having gone on 4 prior trips to WDW between 2010 & 2011). DD is allergic to casein protein (ie dairy), egg and nuts--we thought we knew what she could eat. There are so many changes now!

We were told at Narcoossee's that she could have the mickey shaped pasta marinara.

Were told elsewhere (can't remember which restaurant, I think CRT) that she could not have the mickey shaped pasta since it had dairy in it. :mad: CRT's chef was AWFUL. He asked about her allergies, took 20 minutes to give her PLAIN BOILED NOODLES. No sauce. With fries. Disgusting. DD was so hungry that she ate the noodles anyway and my server was not allowed to bring me sauce since the chef was busy and couldn't OK it. Will never go back again (especially b/c at Akershus they try alot harder, though the food isn't great there either).

We spoke to numerous chefs and it seems that they're getting confused since the ingredients in the products they use keep changing.

I also do not recall seeing Divvies at very many locations, although the Silk brand of soy milk was still widely available in October.

Van's waffles were still available at many CS locations for breakfast. Someone on the DIS mentioned that Amy's organic products were available, but I couldn't find them anywhere. Does anyone have a list of where Amy's products can be found at CS locations? Thanks.

Does anyone have a list of where Amy's products can be found at CS locations? Thanks.
I have the allergy reference sheet from special diets (you can email them at specialdiets@disneyworld.com and ask them to email you a copy). It says they offer Amy's gluten free products (rice mac & cheese, cheese pizza, and marinara sauce) and that they can be found at most locations but to ask the chef or manager. However, even though I just emailed special diets and asked for an updated reference sheet due to all the changes, the one I just received was stamped June 2011 so it is out of date.

ETA we have had a lot of luck at Boma and 1900 PF w/ chefs being willing to make a meal for DD from scratch to our specifications (on top of her dairy allergy, we are all vegetarians).

I have the allergy reference sheet from special diets (you can email them at specialdiets@disneyworld.com and ask them to email you a copy). It says they offer Amy's gluten free products (rice mac & cheese, cheese pizza, and marinara sauce) and that they can be found at most locations but to ask the chef or manager. However, even though I just emailed special diets and asked for an updated reference sheet due to all the changes, the one I just received was stamped June 2011 so it is out of date.

ETA we have had a lot of luck at Boma and 1900 PF w/ chefs being willing to make a meal for DD from scratch to our specifications (on top of her dairy allergy, we are all vegetarians).

Thanks! DD loves Amy's rice mac & cheese. We were hoping to find it this time, but didn't. We'll email special diets before our next trip for sure.

I remember that a couple places gave my DD bags of Lucy's cookies this past March. Has anyone seen them lately? If Divvies are gone, I'm hoping they're still available.

Also, for anyone else who can't have dairy or who can't have eggs, I just did a Google search that directed me to the book _Vegetarian Walt Disney World_ which said Itzakadoozies, strawberry bars, pretzels, and popcorn sold at carts are vegan (meaning no dairy or egg). Anyone should call to verify first (I am!!). I plan to buy pre-packaged dairy-free desserts for DD and bring them as a back-up.

I'm planning a trip for next summer and I'm already panicked. I have new allergies that I didn't have in the summer during our trip though I had other food allergies just the new ones are way more restrictive. So far I can't have:corn,wheat,flax,shellfish,some treenuts. I can see my up coming trip as drinking diet coke and eating plain rice yuck...

ABC Comissary at the Studios now has the Udi buns. They also have a supervisor who needs to understand the meaning of cross contamination.:rolleyes1 but that is another story.

A manager did tell me they do have gluten free chicken strips, but was not sure if they were the same ones they have had for awhile.

Has anybody confirmed if the Udis buns are milk free? I know DD13 can't eat them because they have eggs and yeast but the hamburger buns I'm seeing on their website look like they're gluten and milk free and surprisingly free of anything else my 11yo can't eat which would be amazing for her. She can't eat the Ener-G buns so this would actually be good for her. Well, assuming they're the Classic Hamburger Buns and not the Whole Grain Hamburger Buns (the latter do have an ingredient she's allergic to).

[RANT]

I can't believe how rediculously this is all being handled by WDW. After emailing Special Diets for our upcoming trip and receiving an email back with the standard attachment which was last updated July 2011 and including many products that have been reported here by several people are no longer available and no indication in the email that these items are changing, I emailed back asked specific questions about the products. I received an email back asking me to call to discuss my questions. Well, I just called. That was totally pointless. They couldn't tell me anything. All she knew was that the Ener-G buns and French Meadow products are being phased out and replaced by Udi's and OMG It's Gluten Free products but she had no idea on which of these companies' products will be used. She also had no idea if Enjoy Life products will be continued. She had no idea what brand of pizzas will be used going forward. She had no idea what brand of waffle/pancake mix will be used going forward (it could be BRM but she had no idea). She had no idea what flour mix or breading mix will be used going forward. She know NOTHING and said she had no way to find out. I was literally fighting tears over the incompitence of the Special Diets department handling of this and my concern over our upcoming trip. I know that's an overreaction and that chefs will be wonderful and do everything they can but it's just so upsetting and I guess I'm just emotional right now. Thank goodness we have almost all of our meals planned where we'll be dealing with a chef rather than eating CS but it's just crazy. Our August trip is definitely not going to be that way and in fact we'll have the QSDP for that tip (free dining bounceback from last August) so for that trip I have MAJOR reservations about the trip. I'm not going to cancel anything while I'm emotional and in fact will wait until maybe April or May to make my final decision but right now I'm not sure about it.

[/RANT]

Just subscribing to this thread - which has me a bit nervous. This will be DD#1's 1st trip with her food allergies. We did a cruise this past summer on Celebrity with mixed experiences so we are a bit nervous about this trip.

DD#1 is allergic to dairy, chocolate (cocoa), oranges, strawberries and shellfish. I'm getting a bit nervous as it seems from reading this thread that everyone is mentioning the dairy free desserts and they are all chocolate (brownies or chocolate chip cookies etc) or seem to be strawberry flavored. Will she have any fun things to have or will I have to carry around golden oreos. Do they have things like lemon ices or pineapple sorbet or pineapple ice pops? Do they have any cookies that aren't chocolate chips?

She does luckily like fruit - how hard is it to get things like cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, apples and grapes? She isn't a big banana eater - will most fruit have strawberries or oranges in it? Will that be 99% of what they will offer to her for dessert at the table service restaurants? I don't care at CS if they give her fruit because she will eat it and I can bring an golden oreo for her if needed.

Also does babycakes deliver to the restaurants? If so is it only cupcakes or do they do cakes too? Does anyone have photos of their cakes?

There are frozen pineapple bars that can be purchased from just about every ice cream cart around the parks as well as in the food courts freezer section at resorts. My 13yo LOVES these. They do have chunks of real pineapple if that's a texture problem for you. The Itzkadoozie popsicles do have real orange juice in them unfortunately but at least the pineapple bars are yummy and safe.

The popcorn around the parks should also be safe provided they haven't changed brands.

A few restaurant had sorbets for desserts. I think LeCellier and Liberty Tree Tavern both offered us raspberry sorbets in the past and Hollywood Brown Derby in the past told us that they alternate between mango sorbet and mango raspberry sorbet.

From everything I'm hearing, Tofutti ice cream should still be available everywhere. They offer vanilla everywhere we've found Tofutti which has been every resort CS, every TS that doesn't have sorbet, park ice cream parlours and a few other park CS locations.

I believe that you should be able to get some kind of fruit at just about any TS location. A few will be difficult such as Hoop Dee Doo Review where all my kids were offered last time was Tofutti and strawberries but most should be fine. There are fruit cups or cut up fruit or at least apple sauce or grapes available at just about every CS location. Some kind of fruit should be there. My kids aren't fond of melon but I do know that I've seen plenty of melon available at CS locations. I don't remember any citrus in any of the fruit and both of my kids have to avoid all citrus.

Isn't there frozen lemonaide available somewhere? My kids can't drink it so I've never checked.

We've had 2 cakes delivered to restaurants from Babycakes. Here's the one from this past August. The pictures were brighter than they appear in the picture but you do need to know that because they don't use the regular chemical food colourings, the colours don't come out as bright and vibrant as typical bakeries.

DisneyWorld116.jpg

DisneyWorld115.jpg

Ask at your resort if they carry Kneads cookies. I couldn't get confirmation if they'll still be available or not but last time we stayed at Pop Century, DD13 was offered some Kneads snickerdoodle cookies. The chef had to bake them up so we didn't get them right away but next time we went in he brought them out to her and made sure he had some ready for us every time we came in.

There are frozen pineapple bars that can be purchased from just about every ice cream cart around the parks as well as in the food courts freezer section at resorts. My 13yo LOVES these. They do have chunks of real pineapple if that's a texture problem for you. The Itzkadoozie popsicles do have real orange juice in them unfortunately but at least the pineapple bars are yummy and safe.

The popcorn around the parks should also be safe provided they haven't changed brands.

A few restaurant had sorbets for desserts. I think LeCellier and Liberty Tree Tavern both offered us raspberry sorbets in the past and Hollywood Brown Derby in the past told us that they alternate between mango sorbet and mango raspberry sorbet.

From everything I'm hearing, Tofutti ice cream should still be available everywhere. They offer vanilla everywhere we've found Tofutti which has been every resort CS, every TS that doesn't have sorbet, park ice cream parlours and a few other park CS locations.

I believe that you should be able to get some kind of fruit at just about any TS location. A few will be difficult such as Hoop Dee Doo Review where all my kids were offered last time was Tofutti and strawberries but most should be fine. There are fruit cups or cut up fruit or at least apple sauce or grapes available at just about every CS location. Some kind of fruit should be there. My kids aren't fond of melon but I do know that I've seen plenty of melon available at CS locations. I don't remember any citrus in any of the fruit and both of my kids have to avoid all citrus.

Isn't there frozen lemonaide available somewhere? My kids can't drink it so I've never checked.

We've had 2 cakes delivered to restaurants from Babycakes. Here's the one from this past August. The pictures were brighter than they appear in the picture but you do need to know that because they don't use the regular chemical food colourings, the colours don't come out as bright and vibrant as typical bakeries.

DisneyWorld116.jpg

DisneyWorld115.jpg

Ask at your resort if they carry Kneads cookies. I couldn't get confirmation if they'll still be available or not but last time we stayed at Pop Century, DD13 was offered some Kneads snickerdoodle cookies. The chef had to bake them up so we didn't get them right away but next time we went in he brought them out to her and made sure he had some ready for us every time we came in.

Thank you!! The cakes look great! That is great to hear about the pineapple ice pops -she loves the Edy's ones. She is mixed with textures (won't eat apple sauce or jello) but chunks of fruit in her ice pop won't bother her at all. She will only be 5 this June so she is still young. Are a lot of the sorbet's mango flavored? If so I guess I might have to push her allergist to test her with a few more things (we avoid tropical fruits because the day she had her major reaction she also had passionfruit and mango but we tested her for so many things that we didn't want to push her any more - and those are easy to avoid). I figure we can get her some frozen lemonades as snacks which would be nice in the heat of August. I think she would like those if she can't get ice cream.

What about soy milk? Do they carry vanilla silk? I saw a mention of another brand but I'm not familiar with it. She will only drink the vanilla flavor she doesn't like plain soy milk. Maybe I should just order the juice box sizes from garden grocer then and bring one along with us just in case. I assume apple juice is readily available in the parks it was at our last trip. With the dining plan do they get cups of apple juice from the dispenser or are they juice boxes? What about with the soy milk?

We don't do our ADRs until February. When I get my list of where we think we want to eat I will come over here and ask for feedback on our choices. Right now I know we will do Ohana, and Akershus (dinners - we do breakfast in our room) - but we are going back and forth on our other choices. How is Cinderella's castle for dinner? We will be on the dining plan.

Much to my 13yo's dismay, the only place we were offered anything mango was at HBD. Most seem to have raspberry.

We've been able to get Very Vanilla Silk at almost every TS restaurants and many CS restaurants we've eaten in. They always serve the single serving boxes though at a few TS locations they like to dump them into a glass for their guests.

We've had great experiences at both 'Ohana and Akershus. CRT was one of our less impressive experience but the food was safe and tasty; there just wasn't much option for allergy safe food. Now that the prime rib is off the CRT menu, I'm not sure we'll go back.

Much to my 13yo's dismay, the only place we were offered anything mango was at HBD. Most seem to have raspberry.

We've been able to get Very Vanilla Silk at almost every TS restaurants and many CS restaurants we've eaten in. They always serve the single serving boxes though at a few TS locations they like to dump them into a glass for their guests.

We've had great experiences at both 'Ohana and Akershus. CRT was one of our less impressive experience but the food was safe and tasty; there just wasn't much option for allergy safe food. Now that the prime rib is off the CRT menu, I'm not sure we'll go back.

We are going back and forth on this - I hate to burn 2 TS credits - when we can see Princesses and have a fun meal at Akershus - where we ate last trip (pre DD"s allergies) and she LOVED it. So that is a definite for this trip esp since DD#2 is older (she turned 1 on our last trip).

We usually do Chef Mickey's but had a not great experience last time so thinking we will skip it this trip - but we also usually go Crystal Palace (the girls love Pooh) and want to do at least one meal at MK so not sure if we should add this one or not. Tony's I haven't heard such great things about - and Liberty tree last time was eh- any recs for MK). But not sure with DD's food where she will have the best experience and still a good deal since we are on the dining plan. We don't do dinners in AK or HS because we are only in those parks early in the day - we prefer to do night at MK and EPCOT esp when the girls are so young and those are their two favorite parks.

We have 7 nights - so which of these would you pick or recommend some (we are leaning towards the dining plan - and definitely will do it if it is free).

Akershus (definite)
Ohana (definite)
Crystal Palace (leaning towards this)

Then we have 4 more meals - would like at least 3 more at EPCOT but then for the 4th either MK or EPCOT - so which would you recommend.

We have never eaten in these four:
Tokyo dining or Teppan Endo (was leaning towards TE)
Tutto Italia
Garden Grill (just to do one Mickey meal - heard the food was really not good will I regret doing this)
CRT (would consider adding Via Napoli and paying OOP if we do CRT since it is 2 TS credits and then I would only do VN because I can get DD an individual pizza without cheese but don't want to use a TS credit for this so we would only do it if we go to CRT).

Have done in the past but not recently or with DD and her food allergies
Les Chefs de France
Nine Dragons
Marrakesh
San Angel Inn (but worried about this because not sure what she will eat she had a cheese quesadilla last trip but not sure what she would have this time but we like this place)

[RANT]

I can't believe how rediculously this is all being handled by WDW. After emailing Special Diets for our upcoming trip and receiving an email back with the standard attachment which was last updated July 2011 and including many products that have been reported here by several people are no longer available and no indication in the email that these items are changing, I emailed back asked specific questions about the products. I received an email back asking me to call to discuss my questions. Well, I just called. That was totally pointless. They couldn't tell me anything. All she knew was that the Ener-G buns and French Meadow products are being phased out and replaced by Udi's and OMG It's Gluten Free products but she had no idea on which of these companies' products will be used. She also had no idea if Enjoy Life products will be continued. She had no idea what brand of pizzas will be used going forward. She had no idea what brand of waffle/pancake mix will be used going forward (it could be BRM but she had no idea). She had no idea what flour mix or breading mix will be used going forward. She know NOTHING and said she had no way to find out. I was literally fighting tears over the incompitence of the Special Diets department handling of this and my concern over our upcoming trip. I know that's an overreaction and that chefs will be wonderful and do everything they can but it's just so upsetting and I guess I'm just emotional right now. Thank goodness we have almost all of our meals planned where we'll be dealing with a chef rather than eating CS but it's just crazy. Our August trip is definitely not going to be that way and in fact we'll have the QSDP for that tip (free dining bounceback from last August) so for that trip I have MAJOR reservations about the trip. I'm not going to cancel anything while I'm emotional and in fact will wait until maybe April or May to make my final decision but right now I'm not sure about it.

[/RANT]

Rant away.:goodvibes What a useless phone call too, I'd have been annoyed as well. Was there anything that she DID know, lol?:laughing: Was she at least able to tell you when the new dietary sheet will be updated? It certainly sounds like the changes at Special Diets aren't necessarily for the better. I have multiple food allergies like gluten and avocado, etc. but not dairy which I know must be very difficult to avoid! I really hope they aren't switching to BRM since I love love love the Namaste they make the Mickey waffles with. The bean flour in BRM bothers my stomach.

I wouldn't cancel anything either. Maybe consider your next trip an experiment with learning what's new and offered for your DD's. Then you can gauge how you feel about August since you'll have a better idea of what to expect. The chefs really are amazing and I'm sure your DD's will still have options. CS may not be as bad as it seems either.

[RANT]

[/RANT]

I feel your pain on this. We went on a Celebrity Cruise with family this past summer (family chose it not us). We had a great time in the end - but dining was really hard with a 4 year old. Before we went they told us at time of booking they could accommodate anything we needed etc. Then after final payment when we were dealing with special needs they told us that we had to fax them DD's dietary restrictions. We asked if we could request any foods - they said yes so we did ask for dairy free desserts (ice cream - gave them several brands), silk vanilla soy milk. Otherwise they would only repeat that they couldn't tell us what they COULD do for DD until we boarded and went to the Maitre'd and we were told to discuss it with him at that point in time and HE would THEN tell us what they could and could NOT do for DD. It was very stressful to NOT know what they would be able to feed DD until we boarded. It wasn't perfect but she did eat fairly well. Once onboard we found that we had to give them her WHOLE dining choices for the day the night before. Which if you have a 4 year old you know that is hard to do because she doesn't know everything she wants to eat for the following day. They also told us onboard that we should make more specific requests - but the few we did make did NOT show up so not sure what that would have done. The good news is that the few people I have spoken with who have kids with bad allergies (luckily DD's aren't severe) have all had positive experiences in WDW - which gives me hope.

Not what I wanted to hear. :( Not at all.

My son, Xander, has egg, milk, and soy intolerance and citric acid too. Well technically protein intolerances. Right now he is on formula (Neocate Jr Chocolate and Elecare Jr Vanilla) but I was so looking forward to when he can eat again and we can go to Disney again and be NORMAL for a week. Right now we are in diagnosis hell.

Pout.

Wish me luck! We leave tomorrow morning for the new and un-improved Disney. I'm sure everything will be fine, but I am packing a few backup treats that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'll let you guys know what I find when we return.

I have a new update. My TA just told me that Itzakadoozie pops are gone. I Googled it and saw a thread on another forum showing a pic of a Nestle Triple Blast Ice Pop as the replacement. It looks like 3 diff orange colors.

Quick update: No Silk soy milk at Contempo Cafe. It's now Kikkoman Pearl. DS hasn't tried it yet so no opinion on it. No Itzakadoozie, Triple Blast something or other. It's similar, but not as spectacular as the Itzakadoozie from a kids perspective. DS's recovering from a stomach bug and has very little appetite so he didn't each much but a popsicle and fries today.

I'm totally freaking out if they've gotten rid of Silk all over the place. Kikkoman clearly states that they can NOT guarantee gluten free. Who the heck makes these kinds of decisions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter