Thoughts on Yacht Club vs Riviera

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
We are going to Orlando this summer and we (wife and girls 10 & 12) will be splitting our stay with UOR. Aug 4-7 @ Hard Rock Hotel then check move to WDW from Aug 7-12.

Currently we have a reservation @ the Yacht Club and I am debating if we switch to Riviera or stay put. We have stayed at the Yacht Club before and did enjoy the resort in summer 2019 when when Riviera was not yet open. Also, we do want 3 beds (queen, murphy & pull down twin @ Riviera or 2 queens & sofa day bed @ Yacht Club). We know the Yacht Club meets these needs and looks like the Riviera does also for a similar cost.

We will be visiting all 4 parks while we are there and hopefully the Boo Bash on Aug 10th.

Which would you recommend/choose?

Thanks!

I vote Yacht Club as well. We've stayed at both and, while RIV is nice, it doesn't compare to the convenience of YC with its proximity to two parks and tons of restaurants within walking distance. When the Skyliner goes down (and it will in August), RIV's transportation perk goes away. Plus, while we liked Primo Piatto, with only 1 TS and 1 QS at that resort, the food options became quite boring after a while.

Another vote for YC, my favorite of all WDW resorts and I've stayed at all except SS, WL, RIV and AoA. I'm not a fan of the skyliner, used it in April just to see and the fact that you have to go to the hub and stand in line then stop at RIV and a turn station to go from HS to Epcot took a long time. All things being equal, being able to walk to two parks from YC gives it a thumbs up from me.

The one advantage that Riviera has over Yacht Club is that it is a DVC resort and all rooms have a kitchen with at least refrigerator, microwave, toaster and coffee maker which is very useful for breakfast. They also have split bathrooms with a shower on one side and a tub/shower on the other. Very useful instead of the single bath/shower you will have at Yacht Club.

I think there is no "losing" with this decision. We've stayed at the Yacht Club and loved it. That being said, we're staying at the Riviera this fall. My family really enjoys trying new resorts, so if both seem equally good--or an equally good deal--we often try the new one :)

That's a debate I had with myself a few weeks ago too! I ended up sticking with YC because what it came down to for me is simply being able to walk back and forth to both HS and Epcot, rather than rely on the skyliner (which had VERY long lines last month whenever we walked by!). But I really, really want to try Riviera, so sometime I'm going to do a split stay and stay there for a couple nights.

I'm debating changing to Yacht Club (it would only be a $3/night savings over my currently booked Riviera Studio) as well. I wandered around the Riviera in February, and it is glorious, but rumors that loading multiple parties into the gondolas may be imminent has me rethinking that. I spent 15 minutes stopped in one with someone I didn't know and it was AWKWARD - not an experience I want to repeat.

Whelp, Yacht is gone for my dates now. :(

If I want Deluxe it's Wilderness (not my jam).

Or it's Mod...GDT is available.

We have stayed at the BC before and were supposed to stay at BW this August but waited a little too long and there was no availability by the time we firmed up our dates, so we are staying at Riveria. I think you cannot really go wrong about either but to me, the proximity of YC and BC, are dealbreakers - it is such a nice perk - the biggest perk in my book. The only edge to Riveria is that if you need the additional bedding for adults, I hear that the murphy beds are much more comfortable than the pull out sofas.

My wife and I have stayed at both and would choose Riviera. We absolutely love the Epcot Resort loop, but the Skyliner is enough to move us out of it. We are staying there ourselves in Sept. for a birthday trip. We absolutely love the resort and the dining options.

Right now with Yachtsman closed, Cape May not offering character dining, and Stormalong Bay reportedly reaching capacity and having long waits, I would choose Riviera. I have stayed at both and I really enjoy each.

My vote would be for YC. I love the Skyliner, but not during HS or EP park opening/closing times and not if lightening is around. Park opening/closing times there are pretty long lines. If lightening is around, they close it down completely and then you have to wait for them to deploy busses, which can take a while. During the day, you can always take the skyliner over to Riviera and eat over there. As others have said, they have some good dining options.

I would guess pool capacity has been increased with everything else, there were reports of more chairs being added to the pool deck. The days of capacity pools might be behind us.

I like the pool and location of YC better but the rooms and food at Riviera better. We were trying to decide between the two for July and chose Riviera

I think we are going to stick with the Yacht Club for a few reasons. The main one being within walking distance to Epcot and a short boat ride to the Studios or a 10 minute walk. We will visit Riviera while we are there and maybe stay there on a future trip.

If you are a pool person, Yacht Club for sure. I've heard that the Riviera pool is a bit lackluster. We are pool people, so that's a big deal for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter