Thoughts on my Disneyland Pixar Fest Quick Trip

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
As has become habit, I have a few thoughts about my trip this weekend. I had a good time. Sunday was great, but Monday was a little nuts. Still, it was very manageable with MaxPass, speaking of which:

MaxPass. Wow. How can it even be possible for that to work? I've never used so many FPs in a day ever, and I could just get them and get them. It's crazy and awesome! It was so worth it

I'd never walked around the Disneyland Hotel, but I wanted to go to Trader Sams. I had a nice time there, though the food was lousy (Island Dog). It was fun to sit inside for once, something I could never do in Orlando. The DLH is so nice, and I love the BTMRR model in one of the lobby's.

I didn't get chided by any CM's this time since I always did right :) but their crowd control tactics still need some work. They wave their batons side to side, but that doesn't really indicate which direction. Most CMs seem to do it casually. Also one of them didn't understand that if you are facing people coming toward you, your right is their left. I mean, whatever, it's so crazy there, so I get that it's tough, but some of it could be refined.

Single Rider at Space Mountain is awesome, even when the line is long. It's perfect, and super-hidden. I knew where to go and I still had to ask about it. Suits me! ;)

I discovered the most miserable place in the Happiest Place on Earth, and that is the line for Gibson Girl ice cream. Okay, it was a pretty long line yesterday, but wow, do people lose their minds in there. They were rude to the CMs, and each other. One guy even slid into the line when the people behind me didn't move up immediately (it was outside of the barriers). I even mentioned that I thought they were also in line and he said something to the effect of "Oh well." Faith in humanity shaken

Then again...the best of us can shine at Disney as well. When a lady dropped a wad of cash, in the GotG line, one person in line picked it up and looked for who dropped it, but didn't see. Someone a few people back did see it, pointed her out and the money was recovered. Great job, everyone

So, about Guardians of the Galaxy, this was my frist time riding it. It's like the laziest, cheapest thing in some ways. I mean the boiler room is still a boiler room with crhistmas lights and LCD screens. It seems weird, like they just didn't want to do that part. The Rocket pre-show is nice, but even on the ride it's basically just screens. All that said, it is without a doubt, 100% bona-fide FUN! Fun, fun, fun! When the music cranks up and the whole cart is rocking out, there is so much energy. It adds to the thrill! Also, is it maybe a little longer? It seems like it. I rode it 4 times!

Carrot Cake Churro? Where's this been all my life. Very tasty, and also my first Disneyland Churro.

My dinner at River Belle Terrace was very good. I thought we put a lot of sugar in our food in the South! Those beans were sweeter than the desert, basically candy. Still, everything was delicious, the service was fast, and that Dragon desert was amazingly good. It was worth it just to have some real food and I had the best seats for my first time seeing Fantasmic! 2.0...

Fantasmic! 2.0. What. Happened? What did they do? I mean, yeah, the proijections are crisper and there are more lighting effects, but...the story is kinda lost. The new music, mostly vocals, seemed off. The pirates scene doesn't fit in. And there's no Sword in the Stone? Whaaaaa? I am shocked that I didn't like it. I had hoped to want to see a lot of these changes at made in Orlando...but seeing as that's now the superior version of F! ;) I can't condone it. I did like hearing the song from the Tokyo version after the show, though I miss the fanfare post-show music too.

But, It was made up for by Together Forever! It was pretty great. I loved the show and all the projections on Main Street. Coco is very popular it seems as the reactions to that part were amazing! I fully appreciated it!

So, it was a great trip overall. I did a ton of walking and didn't keep up on my sunscreen as well as I should've. It was COLD last night and I only wore shorts and a t-shirt. The wind was rough! I've been travelling all day too to get home, but such is the price for a great Disney time!

Last edited:
Thanks for your report!

I thought of a few more items of interest, at least to me:

Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire is just plain awesome! That was a blast and thanks to the group who took in this loner. We had a great time! The immersion is incredible and there were moments where I felt like I might fall into the lava pits. The experience is really exciting and engaging. I highly recommend doing this.

I finally rode the Railroad all the way around. It was fun to see the Grand Canyon and Primeval World sets. I was surprised to see some less desirable things on the train ride, such as exposed pipes, dumpsters, and peeling paint. I mean, if guests can see it, it's not really backstage, right? I know they can't hide every little thing, but there were areas where they weren't even trying it seemed.

When did Star Tours get all those new scenes? I knew they were adding a scene form Episode VIII, but I had no idea they replaced Vader with Kylo Ren and changed the ending too. I guess I just wasn't up on all the updates. It was cool, but is the ride now always the same? I always got: Kylo Ren, Jakku, Message from Maz Kanata, Crait, Galaxy's Edge. I miss the randomization.

I thought of a few more items of interest, at least to me:

Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire is just plain awesome! That was a blast and thanks to the group who took in this loner. We had a great time! The immersion is incredible and there were moments where I felt like I might fall into the lava pits. The experience is really exciting and engaging. I highly recommend doing this.

I finally rode the Railroad all the way around. It was fun to see the Grand Canyon and Primeval World sets. I was surprised to see some less desirable things on the train ride, such as exposed pipes, dumpsters, and peeling paint. I mean, if guests can see it, it's not really backstage, right? I know they can't hide every little thing, but there were areas where they weren't even trying it seemed.

When did Star Tours get all those new scenes? I knew they were adding a scene form Episode VIII, but I had no idea they replaced Vader with Kylo Ren and changed the ending too. I guess I just wasn't up on all the updates. It was cool, but is the ride now always the same? I always got: Kylo Ren, Jakku, Message from Maz Kanata, Crait, Galaxy's Edge. I miss the randomization.
I can't recommend the VR experience highly enough. I've done it twice now and it was just as fun this past weekend as it was when I did it in January.

On the train, the dumpsters that I saw were in areas where construction is currently finishing up such as by the new parade gate at Small World. Unfortunately because of the route the train goes on it does cross through some backstage areas.

Star Tours added in the new scenes in November. It does have some randomization. There are 2 opening scenes, one with Kylo and the other with storm troopers. Then everyone goes to Jakku. Then there are 3 transmission options, Poe, Kanata, or BB-8. And then everyone goes to Crait and Batuu.

We concur about Secrets of the Empire! Our second time for SOE at the VOID will be Saturday. We've even formulated a strategy for the three of us. If we get a 4th we'll be even better. It was awesome. I hope they are able to add scenarios in the future so it doesn't get old. Thanks for the overview! We are really excited to see the Pixar Fest and Dapper Day events this weekend.

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter