• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on late lunch timing

TheyCallMeStacey

Mouseketeer
I was hoping you all could help with a quick question regarding Blue Bayou...approximately how long should I plan for a meal for 4 to take?

Originally thought it would be a "WOW" restaurant for the kids, but now I'm thinking that it might eat too much into our park day (we'll only be there for 2 days in mid Feb).

I would plan for an hour to an hour and a half. It might not be as "wow" for kids as you think it would be. It's very dark in there. While it looks awesome and if you get a table by the water, it's fun to watch the boats go by, I wouldn't eat there in a 2 day trip unless I felt like it was a bucket list item.

I would plan for an hour to an hour and a half. It might not be as "wow" for kids as you think it would be. It's very dark in there. While it looks awesome and if you get a table by the water, it's fun to watch the boats go by, I wouldn't eat there in a 2 day trip unless I felt like it was a bucket list item.

Thanks! I am starting to think that I might offer to the kiddos that if they want to we can just snack the day away instead :)

I would not waste the time. it's cool and all, but expensive, and the last few times we ate there it was not as good as I remember. We usually grab some Mexican food at the Rancho and nuggets for the little ones from the Horseshoe for a late lunch.

With only 2 days, do you plan on going back sometime? If no, I would say that while BB is a great experience, the kids will likely enjoy riding more attractions more than the experience, but that is just my opinion.

Since you are going in mid Feb, the park hours are not like the busy seasons, so I would not do BB. If you do want a TS meal, I suggest Carnation Cafe on Main St. They serve some of Walt's favorites in there. If you do, I suggest making reservations. We usually have a late breakfast/early lunch there at least once a trip. Great way to watch the hustle and bustle on Main St (if you are seated outside) and plan the rest of your day.
You might want to check out the menus on the Disneyland park website to check out the foods being served at places you will be around. Many dishes are large enough to share in both parks. Plus, there are so many seasonal items to try, you can graze your way through the parks.

I was hoping you all could help with a quick question regarding Blue Bayou...approximately how long should I plan for a meal for 4 to take?

Originally thought it would be a "WOW" restaurant for the kids, but now I'm thinking that it might eat too much into our park day (we'll only be there for 2 days in mid Feb).
For the age of your kids, if they are into characters, I recommend a Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn.

I was there Dec 3rd with my DGD-15 & DGS-17 we saw....
Rafiki, Chip and Dale, Hook, Fairy Godmother, Pooh, Eyore

On Dec 18th I was there with my DGD-24 & DGS-25. We hit the mother load of Characters!
Minnie, Hook, Chip & Dale, Rafaki, Fairy Godmother, Pooh, Gepetto, Eyore, Tigger and Max

I you are there on a Magic Morning and you DO NOT have MM, that is when I'd book a CB.
The first reservation will be 10minutes after DL opens for MM. You will go to a special gate for entry with your reservation.

We have done this many times. You can get in spend an 1 hr to 1.5 hr eating and greeting characters and still get out into the parks before it gets too crowded. The thing I really like, is seeing so many characters without having to have spent time in their lines out in the park.

Geemo

I think that BB is a good idea, even with kids that age. We went to BB when my kids were 4 and 6. They enjoyed the experience. DH had some gumbo and after we all tried it, the server asked how DH liked it. I asked the server to please let Miss Tiana in the kitchen know how great her gumbo is. My kids eyes got SO BIG and the server didn't miss a beat...she went to the kitchen to tell the chef :-) . My kids are 11 and 13 now, but they still talk about how thrilling that was. They really thought that Princess Tiana was making their lunch. Then the next day, we met yet in New Orleans Square and my kids told Tiana how great the lunch was that she'd made for them at BB. Tiana was great and totally picked up on it and they talked about food for a couple of minutes. It was awesome.

One of the reasons we love BB is how wonderful it is to be in a cool dark place when it's so hot and bright outside. For me, that wow factor mostly happens in the summer. That said, we're going in January because we are bringing DD's boyfriend, who has never been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter