• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on crowds this summer

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
We currently have a 7 night Universal stay planned Aug 4-11 at the Hard Rock Hotel in the Future Rock Star suite and we are reconsidering the room and the amount of days. We are considering getting a less expensive room (2 queen, garden view) for 4 days and splitting with WDW at the Yacht Club.

We would go to Epcot 1 day, Hollywood Studios for 1 day and Boo Bash on the last night (Aug 10).

We have 2 girls (10, 12) who have been to WDW probably 5 or 6 times so far and we always used FastPass. Being that we are so used to going to WDW with fast passes and looking at wait times on the app, plus recent comments from Chapek about crowd increases, what do you all think it will be like in the parks this summer?

If current wait times in mid-May are any indication, I cannot see riding headliners without very long waits the summer since there is no FastPass to fall back on.

Thoughts?

It will be crowded this summer. Disney rooms have been hard to come by this summer as well. especially the Yacht/Beach Club. I’m booked at the contemporary that week as yacht/beach was full.

They are increasing capacity at the parks. I'm expecting it to be more crowded than it has been.

They are increasing capacity, so there will be more people.

The question about whether it will be more crowded I think is still up in the air. Disney is also taking steps to open more attractions and restaurants, which will eat up some of the crowds. I also suspect that as the capacity is increased, Disney will also start increasing the capacity of rides (already happening to some degree as well), which will also help Disney absorb the additional people.

There is no question that there is going to be more people at the parks by the summer. I think Disney has made it pretty clear that they are increasing capacity soon. But if an increase in capacity is matched with increased attraction/dining capacity, then the jump in attendance may not make a big difference in the overall experience.

I would split up your trip just because with express passes at Hard Rock, you would run out of things to do at Universal in 3 or 4 days max. There are only two parks after all. Disney World will be crowded with longer line waits assuming they don't bring back fastpass (I have an August trip too and am definitely not holding my breath for that), but at least it will be something different than riding the same universal attractions over and over.

You could also consider a water park day at either universal or disney (or both). I know people say stormalong bay is a water park, but IMO a crowded pool with one slide and a lazy river does not a water park make.

My opinion is that Disney is going to be packed this summer. A lot of pent up demand. A lot of stashed away stimulus. Reports are that people that are working are earning lots of overtime. Capacity is being increased and will continue to be increased until full capacity is reached. My opinion is that they will also continue to provide a lower experience than before, just because they can and they are happy to be raking in the money.

Regulars I know are still hesitant because they don’t feel they’re getting the full Disney experience (shops closed, no character interaction, no fireworks/parades/shows). We’re going mid July, I’m not expecting it to be any crazier than other summers we’ve gone but if they open up shows/fireworks etc. I have a feeling it’ll be more crowded than usual.

We will be there on Thursday, with Fridays announcement do you think the crowds will be bad then?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter