Thoughts on continued new AP sales?

Do we think it's safe to let AP's lapse and risk them being discontinued again?

• Given the previous recent history on sales who knows - it's anybody's guess

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Yes, let them go because AP sales are probably back for good this time

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • No it's not safe to assume anything - go ahead and renew just to be safe

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The man was dumb founded when I pointed out that every other industry on the planet has loyalty programs…. It was as foreign of a concept as life on Mars …..
Many companies appear to have loyalty programs, but it's rare that they actually encourage loyalty.

An airline might give someone 5,000 points for a flight... then they'll turn around and give out 40,000 points to a new customer if they sign up for their credit card. Can an existing credit card customer get those points? Nope.

A cable company will give cheaper rates for the first 6 to 12 months when first signing up. Existing customers? Nothing. Same with signing up for a streaming service. Cheaper rates at the beginning.

Most 'loyalty' programs encourage the customer to re-sign up with new information, or move to a competitor who offers a better 'signing bonus'.

There really should be a loyalty where something like Netflix is $15/month to start. Every 6 months, the price goes down 10% off. Once it's at 50% off, it stays there if you continue to be a customer. People who are still paying $10 when the new rates go up to $20+/month will never quit.

My Tmobile, Comcast, credit card, SeaWorld, Universal all have loyalty perks and rewards.
The value of SeaWorld and BuschGardens perks for platinum passholders is several times in excess of it's actual cost. Every month has extra benefits not in the contract as well as specials only available to them. Much like my old Disney AP had.

We had Pixie passes because they were the only ones available.

Then we moved up to Sorcerer Passes because we didn't want to be left out.

When it came up for renewal, we looked at practical use, and decided we would make Pirate work for us this year - we looked at many of the dates that it blocks out, and realized we wouldn't be around anyways.

Still not sure it was the right call, but it is what we are going to do this year, and then figure out next year later. I wouldn't want to let them lapse right now.

Thanks everyone for participating in my little survey. I'm still undecided but have a few more days to pull the trigger. I read something this morning where they're going to do away with the 2:00 park hopping rule for even AP's starting in January so I'm hopeful that's another step back to normalcy and maybe we'll be "safe" from further restrictions.

We considered passes just for the discounts but in the end we're doing the FL resident specials when possible. Just not spending enough time in Disney now.
I see the prices of children's tickets might be going down so possibly Disney is reassessing ticket structure.

We considered passes just for the discounts but in the end we're doing the FL resident specials when possible. Just not spending enough time in Disney now.
I see the prices of children's tickets might be going down so possibly Disney is reassessing ticket structure.
They just raised the price of the Incredi-pass.

Thanks everyone for participating in my little survey. I'm still undecided but have a few more days to pull the trigger. I read something this morning where they're going to do away with the 2:00 park hopping rule for even AP's starting in January so I'm hopeful that's another step back to normalcy and maybe we'll be "safe" from further restrictions.
They just raised the price of the Incredi-pass.

Price of ALL APs went up today! 💰💰💰

Annual Pass info
  • Incredi-Pass: $1,449 – previously $1399
  • Sorcerer Pass: $999 – previously $969
  • Pirate Pass: $799 – previously $749
  • Pixie Pass: $439 – previously $399

Glad I renewed a couple of weeks ago when I was eligible.
I always renew on the first day of eligibility. I learned my lesson years ago when I decided I'd let me AP lapse since I wasn't going for a while. Then before that while was up, I went, and had to pay full freight for the new AP--at a new price. I should've renewed when I had the chance. Now I just do it.

I even did it during the pandemic when I knew I wouldn't be going for a while and was glad I did when they stopped AP sales.

I'm from the north east so the annual pass hasn't really been a realistic option for me, but here are my two cents on the matter as someone from the outside looking in for some food for thought.

Unfortunately, those that have been APs for years have seen the value of their pass go down over the years, and again, as an outsider, I look at this from a value perspective. With the recent announcements of increases of the APs, photo pass, parking, food, etc. there must be a point where the trips to the parks become too expensive to justify the price increase on the AP.

It's not just about how many trips can someone take in a year to justify the pass, but can they also justify the extra costs that go along with visiting the park, especially for those that have to travel from other states.

I could be completely wrong because Disney is such a powerhouse of an entertainment brand, but I think the lack of usual crowds during the peak season might lend some credibility to the situation that the parks might finally be simply too expensive for many people to visit that would've otherwise planned a trip in the past.

I think the value of an AP is in the eye & pocket of the buyer. I don't see where I am losing any value. I have a Sorcerer Pass. I can go to the park any day I choose, subject to the blockout calendar. This year I'm going to upgrade the existing pass to an Incredpass as some friends want to go 12/22 - 12/24. Depending which friends are coming down next year I'll either downgrade to a Sorcerer or stay where I will be. My pass expires 3/26.

I think AP's have more value for those who can get to Orlando more frequently for a day or 2 than they do for someone who comes down for two or three longer trips in a year. For me, the hotel costs, if any, are incidental.

I can remember when I first got my FL Resident AP, it had a lot of dates blocked out. There were 1 to 2 weeks in Feb near Presidents Day, 2 weeks+ at Easter, 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks+ at Christmas & New Years and 9 to 10 weeks in the summer. And there wasn't any internet with a calendar to view when you could go. It was dizzying.

I think the value of an AP is in the eye & pocket of the buyer. I don't see where I am losing any value. I have a Sorcerer Pass. I can go to the park any day I choose, subject to the blockout calendar. This year I'm going to upgrade the existing pass to an Incredpass as some friends want to go 12/22 - 12/24. Depending which friends are coming down next year I'll either downgrade to a Sorcerer or stay where I will be. My pass expires 3/26.

I think AP's have more value for those who can get to Orlando more frequently for a day or 2 than they do for someone who comes down for two or three longer trips in a year. For me, the hotel costs, if any, are incidental.

I can remember when I first got my FL Resident AP, it had a lot of dates blocked out. There were 1 to 2 weeks in Feb near Presidents Day, 2 weeks+ at Easter, 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks+ at Christmas & New Years and 9 to 10 weeks in the summer. And there wasn't any internet with a calendar to view when you could go. It was dizzying.
I remember that too! I had the little cardboard AP holder thing that had the calendar with the block out dates.

but I think the lack of usual crowds during the peak season might lend some credibility to the situation that the parks might finally be simply too expensive for many people to visit that would've otherwise planned a trip in the past.
Agreed Disney may be too expensive for some people, but I wouldn't believe just yet on the lack of usual crowds as posted on social media. We just encountered the Christmas/New Year crowd a few weeks ago.

I think the value of an AP is in the eye & pocket of the buyer. I
Got to agree with this. I've been an AP holder for many, many years. I had an AP for probably 20 years when I lived in MA and now that I live in FL (almost 10 years now) I've continued to have an AP. When I was living in MA, I also had DVC so my trips to the parks could be relatively inexpensive. Just needed to find a cheap flight to orlando and a car rental since everything else was already paid for.

Now living in FL, I visit the parks probably 3 times a week. But I only go for a few hours at a time. I enjoy having the freedom to drop in and get that Disney fix regularly. Of course it helps that I'm retired. :)

I believe the reservation system will remain for AP holders. TOS mentions reservation availability. This way they can always sell AP's yet block them when necessary. This is why I do not think they will ever axe AP's again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter