Thoughts/info on quick serve options at Swan & Dolphin, plus Riviera?

Boardwalk III

DIS Veteran
Hi all, heading down this week and will be spending 5 days at the Boardwalk. We’re very familiar with the offerings @ BW as have stayed there almost annually for 20 years. However, with the 2 casual BW restaurants now closed and a smaller party of just 3 ppl this trip (including a 30-something) I’d love to get the “skinny“ on good quick serve options at S&D and Riviera.

We’ve done Beaches & Cream @ Beach Club dozens of times and haven’t been very happy with it since the expansion, so that’s out this trip. And we’ll certainly hit some Epcot restaurants and/or food stands during the week. But would love to have a few other options.

Happy to take any information folks want to share - favorite places and/or meals, crowd levels, good late night options etc.

Many thanks!

Bar Riva might be our favorite casual eats/pool bar in the whole Epcot area …maybe all of WDW? That feels very definitive but it’s certainly close. We’ve eaten there 5-6 times now and love it every time. The menu is not extensive but it’s very good (the wings are so good and I don’t usually like a sweet/sticky sauce). The indoor/outdoor seating space is great for rain or shine. If you have a resort mug the refill station is also right there which is a nice if that’s your thing, too. I’ve also never found it to be crowded which is another added bonus. And I’m pretty sure it’s open until 10pm so it’s definitely worth a quick skyliner over at some point in your day!

Love, love Primo Piatto (QS restaurant at Riv). In fact, Riviera on the whole -- between Primo Piatto, Topolino's Terrace, Bar Riva, Le Petit Cafe -- has been my favorite resort for dining in recent past.

Breakfast at Primo Piatto offers my favorite QS dish on property, french toast bread pudding. Primo Piatto Breakfast plate with scrambled eggs, polenta, sweet brioche, bacon and sausage is also excellent. If you're planning on taking the Skyliner to HS one day, it's worth the stop at Riviera for breakfast. They serve hot food until 10 and then some grab-and-go salad/sandwich options until 11.

Echoing what MerlinaandtheMouse said, Bar Riva is also great if you're looking for a casual place to sit and enjoy a few bar bites and cocktails. It was never super busy during my Spring Break trip last year. Again, just a great spot if you're coming/going from DHS around lunch/dinnertime via the skyliner.

Unfortunately have never been to S&D but I hear The Fountain is very good. We have Shula's booked for my birthday dinner this year.

The Fountain is good sandwiches and burgers. We often hit there on our first day after arriving from airport. Picabu is decent food at good (last time I was there) prices. The have chicken family meals with sides included or bowls you can choose proteins and toppings. It's kind of cafeteria style. Never had breakfast there.

We really enjoy the Ice Cream at the Fountain in the Dolphin, its easy to get in and out, not massive wait and planning like B&C and IMHO its better - suggest snagging the S&D Mobile App - its the most up to date and you view the menus. The Cabana Pool bar is legit as well.

Swan/Dolphin

Another one who loves the Fountain at Dolphin. For a quick breakfast sandwich Fuel at Dolphin is not bad. My son says the sushi at Kimonos is good (I don't eat Sushi) and I ate at Rosa Mexicano last time I was there. Its sort of TexMex with flare but not bad. Picabu (the QS) isn't bad, the emphasis there is sort of Tex/Mex as well. I often stay at Dolphin so Fuel and Picabu are my go to breakfast. Both also offer a AAA discount (I think Fountain does as well).

Fuel has some great coffee, breakfast sandwiches, and pastry options! A little pricey for what they are, but good nonetheless. I've never gotten anything for lunch there but they always have sandwiches and grab & go salads.

The Fountain is pretty decent, easy to get into, and inexpensive. We sort of think of it like a no-frills Beaches & Cream. :laughing:

Although it's not QS, breakfast at the Ale & Compass (YC) offers, by Disney standards, exceptional value. $23 includes an a la.carte entrée, beverage and a mini buffet featuring pastries and fruit.

Last edited:
We’ve never visited the Dolphin or Swan, but I agreee that Primo Piatto and Bar Riva at the RR are very good. The Margherita pizza and the Croque Monsieur are great at Primo; we also like the herbed fries (quite salty though) and the tiramisu. I enjoy the baked Brie and Tuna Niçoise salad at Riva.

Adding my voice to the chorus of praise for Primo Piatto and Bar Riva (though I am still bummed the Monte Cristo disappeared, never to return).

Primo Piatto is probably the best resort quick service at WDW.

Had three meals there and all were excellent.
I know I am in the minority, but I prefer to walk over to the QS food court at CB vs going to Primo Piatto when staying at Riviera. For goodness sake, at Riviera they call a croissant with chocolate drizzled over top a chocolate croissant!!! Uh, no! CB grab and go has better ones, with chocolate in the middle.

I enjoy Bar Riva at Riviera. For anything later in the evening, Centertown Market at CB is where you will find me as they are open until 11 PM.

I am a fan of Primo Piatto as well - very good option for quick-serve. And Fountains is the closest replacement for ESPN and Big River when you just want burger-type pub food.

If you haven't been to Boardwalk in the past year or so, the one good thing I've found lately is the Boardwalk Deli - the pastrami is quite good there.

Thank you everyone for your replies, all so very helpful! I’m actually excited to try some of these options. Been to Riviera to eat a couple times but only to Topolinos. Always thought those ground floor eateries looked fun.

And how I’ve never been to the Fountain is beyond me, but we’ll be giving it a try for sure!

Thanks again 🥰

Just chiming in to add another recommendation for Primo Piatto.

We stayed at the Dolphin 2 years ago, and Primo Piatto was the far-and-away best CS option around, with superior food and a more upscale spin on the usual WDW burger/sandwich/flatbread/salad lineup. Our food was even served on real dishes, which reminded us of the "fancified" counter service lunch that Be Our Guest used to offer. When the weather was nice, we also enjoyed dining al fresco at Hurricane Hanna's (Beach Club, next to Stormalong Bay). Unfortunately, our visit predated the opening of The Fountain at the Dolphin, so I can't give an opinion on the present state of CS at that resort.

Last edited:
Love Primo Piatto! I will say, the menu gets a bit old upon repeat stays as they don't change much up, but for a newbie there are many great options. My standouts:

Breakfast:
  • Croque Madame
  • Blueberry-Lemon Pancakes
The frittata is also nice and the kids meals are great if you want a lighter breakfast. Skip the turkey bagel sandwich, trust me!

Lunch/Dinner:
  • Margherita Pizza (flatbread style with fresh mozzarella
  • Bacon Cheddar Burger
  • Spicy Italian Sandwich (surprise hit for me)
  • Tuna Niçoise Salad (favorite salad on property)
Skip the kids' pasta as well, it's basically tomato sauce (not even marinara) on noodles. The fruit cups that are a side option are great.

Wait times can be a hit or miss, the pizza always seems to take at least 15 minutes from hitting the "I'm here" button on mobile order. Breakfast is usually pretty quick. Don't expect food to be ready immediately though, I usually hit the button while I'm still on the Skyliner. Bar Riva is great as others have said, they have a few unique options though the menu mostly overlaps with PP. Agree the food overall is a huge step up from most counter service.

So for those staying at YC, BC, BW, S&D, would you go to Riviera for QS meal?
I mean, if I'm getting a quick meal, that seems far.

I think it depends on whether the 'quick service' is because you're crushed for time and want to get something fast before hitting a park - or if you just want the quick service option because you don't feel like making reservations or going to a more expensive or more formal sit-down restaurant.

If the former, I don't think I'd go all the way over to Riv - but if the latter, it's a fine option. If I'm at Boardwalk and need something fast, I'd probably go to Fountain, or Boardwalk deli or pizza window (it'll be nice to get the corn dog place open for at least one more option). Even Cake Bake shop when it opens could be good for a takeout as they do have some sandwiches on their menus elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter