• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts about new CDC guidelines and how it might affect your Disney vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm torn. I don't like wearing the mask but now that I'm used to it I feel like I'm topless without it. UGH!
I totally get what you are saying. We had not eaten in a restaurant before our recent WDW trip so we “practiced“ twice at our favorite restaurant in town, going in mid afternoon when the place was empty. Then we proceeded to eat at 8 or more indoor restaurants at WDW. Some meals were better than others but the tables are distanced for now. That might change. But we felt comfortable Sitting with the masks off. We weren’t thrilled with reduced menus, but we managed. We used mobile ordering at least 4 times too.

Well, I'm torn. I don't like wearing the mask but now that I'm used to it I feel like I'm topless without it. UGH!
I know exactly what you mean and how you feel! It took us months to get used to throwing on a mask in a public place. I expect it's going to take a couple months to unlearn that and get more comfortable again around strangers. We've been to WDW a couple times with masks required. We enjoyed the time, but one of the things we love most about WDW is how friendly a place it is. With strangers wary of being too close or talking through masks, it was a much less friendly feel - I'm looking forward to people interactions returning eventually!

I really think that the case numbers for kids needs to be repeatedly mentioned in the media so that people stop freaking out about their kids catching something that is LESS fatal than the flu for those 12 and under. (And even 17 and under)

The media’s done a bang-up job of publicizing practically every one of the RARE serious cases in kids because let’s face it, that’s what gets viewers/clicks. However the end result is a large part of the population being scared of something that is simply NOT statistically dangerous.

People should also remember that currently they are only testing a vaccine down to age 2 - so even when that is approved will the argument then be “think of the babies!” even though they have a minuscule chance of serious illness?
However slight the risk will be for under two, sadly you cannot say that to someone who lost a loved one under two. That's like saying the risk of childhood cancer is so rare it's no big deal. :(

CDC guidelines will not work anywhere in Florida. Governor DeSantis has passed a bill forbidding a business to request proof of vaccinations. Just how does any business determine who is vaccinated and who isn't. As it is now there are people refusing to wear a mask when required and there has been all along. Does the CDC actually think only those vaccinated will go maskless? This isn't just a Disney issue but an issue all over. In fact the 3rd largest cruise line in the world is considering pulling out of Florida because of this newly signed bill. They want all who board to show proof of vaccine.

I know my wife and I certainly feel safer knowing that we're protected even in a crowded setting like Disney (we postponed rescheduling our cancelled May 2020 trip until we were both vaccinated).

However, I don't think the new CDC guidelines will have much of an effect on Disney policy, though. The updated guidelines only apply to those who are vaccinated, and FL has made it illegal for businesses to require proof of vaccination for entry or service, so Disney can't restrict entry to only those who are vaccinated, and trying to enforce two different mask policies seems like it would be a nightmare (assuming the new law even allows them to ask unmasked guests to prove they're not lying about being vaccinated). Given all this, my guess is that the mask requirement will stick around until Disney drops it for all guests - whenever that may be.

CDC guidelines will not work anywhere in Florida. Governor DeSantis has passed a bill forbidding a business to request proof of vaccinations. Just how does any business determine who is vaccinated and who isn't. As it is now there are people refusing to wear a mask when required and there has been all along. Does the CDC actually think only those vaccinated will go maskless? This isn't just a Disney issue but an issue all over. In fact the 3rd largest cruise line in the world is considering pulling out of Florida because of this newly signed bill. They want all who board to show proof of vaccine.

I can tell your very uneasy about this. It always can help to continue to do more research and understand that if you are vaccinated. You are safe. Even around unvaccinated people. CDC has come out and said it. Trust it. There is nothing wrong with what you are feeling, but the data and science is all there on your side. And most important, there is nothing wrong with continuing to wear the mask. Nobody should ever shame anyone for how they feel. Those people are just mean spirited

Last edited:
I know my wife and I certainly feel safer knowing that we're protected even in a crowded setting like Disney (we postponed rescheduling our cancelled May 2020 trip until we were both vaccinated).

However, I don't think the new CDC guidelines will have much of an effect on Disney policy, though. The updated guidelines only apply to those who are vaccinated, and FL has made it illegal for businesses to require proof of vaccination for entry or service, so Disney can't restrict entry to only those who are vaccinated, and trying to enforce two different mask policies seems like it would be a nightmare (assuming the new law even allows them to ask unmasked guests to prove they're not lying about being vaccinated). Given all this, my guess is that the mask requirement will stick around until Disney drops it for all guests - whenever that may be.

Considering everything Chapek said yesterday, I think its going to be dropped within the next few weeks. " There will be alot more comfortable people in Orlando this summer " " we think its going to make for a much more pleasant experience at Disney " etc

We're arriving for a Disney World trip next weekend. I see people not expecting change to come very quickly, but within days I honestly don't think we'll need to wear masks while simply walking around the park. The science is clear on vaccinations and outdoor transmission, and cases and hospitalizations are plummeting.

There's no need to wait until the fall, July 4 or June 1. Disney should make the common sense move, immediately, to simply require masks while in line for or actively engaged in an attraction, riding Disney transportation, and while indoors.

That's a simple next step IMO that acknowledges what we all have known, and is now endorsed by the CDC, while providing some protection to children. People who are still cautious don't have to sit next to someone they don't know who isn't wearing a mask, or even stand next to them outdoors while waiting for a ride. But people also wouldn't have to wear a mask all day while moving throughout the park in the heat.

However slight the risk will be for under two, sadly you cannot say that to someone who lost a loved one under two. That's like saying the risk of childhood cancer is so rare it's no big deal. :(

Same goes for the risk of the vaccines which have killed several people - I’m sure the relatives weren’t comforted by the rarity of the occurrence. Plane crashes don’t kill many people, but again, hardly a comfort for those who have lost family members. However, sad as both of those things are, we have to live in the world of rationality as well as reality, and rationally it does not make sense to continue fearing something that has a low probability of happening.

Hey, I understand irrational fear probably better than the next person - there’s a reason we take a train to WDW instead of a plane - but I’m not about to force everyone else to live by my heightened and illogical sense of risk/reward. Likewise, I don’t want other people telling me how to live my life with regards to this virus, especially not now that I am vaccinated.

I can tell your very uneasy about this. It always can help to continue to do more research and understand that if you are vaccinated. You are safe. Even around unvaccinated people. CDC has come out and said it. Trust it. There is nothing wrong with what you are feeling, but the data and science is all there on your side. And most important, there is nothing wrong with continuing to wear the mask. Nobody should ever shame anyone for how they feel. Those people are just mean spirited

Also, I personally wouldn't go somewhere where its required, even though I am vaccinated. The people not vaccinated are people, not second class citizens
Totally understand however as of now under 12 cannot be vaccinated. I have a 7yr old granddaughter and a grandson who will be 1. They also aren't second class citizens who it doesn't matter if they come down with it because they are kids. My grandson can't wear a mask even if we wanted him to. The CDC guidelines state vaccinated can go maskless. So while the non vaccinated aren't second class citizens, according to the CDC, they should still be wearing their masks to protect those that are still vulnerable

Same goes for the risk of the vaccines which have killed several people - I’m sure the relatives weren’t comforted by the rarity of the occurrence.

That hasn't happened: “There have been no credible reports that the vaccine has been completely tied to someone's death. There are cases of people who die after the vaccine, but that doesn't mean it was caused by the vaccine,"
https://www.khou.com/article/news/v...mors/285-0868b5d9-f384-4d3c-a5ce-943ab074985f
There's been over 1.4 billion shots given to hundreds of millions of people across the world, so by pure statistical chance some very unlucky number of people are going to die shortly after getting a vaccine because well, 150,000 people die every day, even healthy ones. One of my otherwise totally healthy friends suddenly died at 22 a few years ago, it happens. But there's been no "uptick" in death rate post vaccine that would show any sort of correlation at all. It's like saying watching the NCAA Final Four killed someone because they died after watching it. Statistically something like that is going to happen from pure chance.

Still way more per 100k than where I live and way fewer % vaccinated than where I live. And they have the highest raw numbers. As I said, CA has nearly double the people but half the cases. I'm not comfortable with where FL is right now if people are gonna be unmasked. If I had a trip planned to MI, MN, PA, I would feel the same way. But I don't.

I just thought you were talking about states in general so I thought it would ease your mind to know the CDC stats. Of course, county to county in each state is vastly different. I live in upstate NY - our numbers were never near the 5 burroughs. I totally understand.

Totally understand however as of now under 12 cannot be vaccinated. I have a 7yr old granddaughter and a grandson who will be 1. They also aren't second class citizens who it doesn't matter if they come down with it because they are kids. My grandson can't wear a mask even if we wanted him to. The CDC guidelines state vaccinated can go maskless. So while the non vaccinated aren't second class citizens, according to the CDC, they should still be wearing their masks to protect those that are still vulnerable

100% correct. They aren't second class citizens. In fact, they are platinum class because luckily, thankfully, they are able to withstand Covid way way way better than us adults. Absolutely amazing. No one has the right to tell you or anyone what you should or shouldn't be nervous about, but if you've been someone following the science since the pandemic started, keep doing that when it comes to the kids and the scientific evidence that they are fine.

Considering everything Chapek said yesterday, I think its going to be dropped within the next few weeks. " There will be alot more comfortable people in Orlando this summer " " we think its going to make for a much more pleasant experience at Disney " etc
While Disney clearly seems encouraged by the direction things are going, and they are gradually taking steps to adjust their policies, they have been sticking closely to CDC recommendations, and the CDC is still recommending masks for unvaccinated people in crowded environments (even outdoors), so unless the CDC recommendations change, I think expecting the mask requirement to go away completely "within the next few weeks" because of what Chapek said is being overly optimistic - "this summer" is pretty vague. Disney could relax the mask policy in mid-September, and it would still technically be "this summer."

Do I think they'll wait until September? Probably not; but my point is that you can't automatically infer "June" from "this summer."

Last edited:
Same goes for the risk of the vaccines which have killed several people - I’m sure the relatives weren’t comforted by the rarity of the occurrence. Plane crashes don’t kill many people, but again, hardly a comfort for those who have lost family members. However, sad as both of those things are, we have to live in the world of rationality as well as reality, and rationally it does not make sense to continue fearing something that has a low probability of happening.

Hey, I understand irrational fear probably better than the next person - there’s a reason we take a train to WDW instead of a plane - but I’m not about to force everyone else to live by my heightened and illogical sense of risk/reward. Likewise, I don’t want other people telling me how to live my life with regards to this virus, especially not now that I am vaccinated.
You are vaccinated, I am vaccinated. I would feel comfortable maskless next to you even with my grandson. However I don't know you to see. If I'm next to you in Disney, I have to trust you are following the CDC guidelines if Disney were to lift their mask requirements. Unfortunately there will be those not following 😕
I can't see how Disney can lift their requirements

That hasn't happened: “There have been no credible reports that the vaccine has been completely tied to someone's death. There are cases of people who die after the vaccine, but that doesn't mean it was caused by the vaccine,"
https://www.khou.com/article/news/v...mors/285-0868b5d9-f384-4d3c-a5ce-943ab074985f
There's been over 1.4 billion shots given to hundreds of millions of people across the world, so by pure statistical chance some very unlucky number of people are going to die shortly after getting a vaccine because well, 150,000 people die every day, even healthy ones. One of my otherwise totally healthy friends suddenly died at 22 a few years ago, it happens. But there's been no "uptick" in death rate post vaccine that would show any sort of correlation at all. It's like saying watching the NCAA Final Four killed someone because they died after watching it. Statistically something like that is going to happen from pure chance.

The clotting issue tied to the Astra Zeneca and J&J vaccines has caused deaths. In any event, interesting that you latch onto that one tiny part of my post and ignore all the rest. Please don’t try to go off on some tangent and pretend the main thrust of my argument is not sound. Did you happen to miss the part where I’m vaccinated?

You are vaccinated, I am vaccinated. I would feel comfortable maskless next to you even with my grandson. However I don't know you to see. If I'm next to you in Disney, I have to trust you are following the CDC guidelines if Disney were to lift their mask requirements. Unfortunately there will be those not following 😕
I can't see how Disney can lift their requirements

The risk to your grandchildren would be MINISCULE. Kids under 12 are far more likely to die from the common flu than from Covid, and that is per the CDC.

Saying a cause of death is rare is not the same as saying it's no big deal. It's still a death of a child, which is always a tragedy, whatever the cause. We have four children and we've had a few medical scares over the years. Fortunately, they're all fine and healthy now, but I'd never wish that sort of anxiety on any parent.

Regarding risk, it's important to be rational. A child under 17 is 6-7 times more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident than they are of COVID, but I've yet to ever meet a parent who's afraid to put their child in a car. Falls, burns, and drownings are still greater fatal risks for children than COVID. My kids are older now (16-23), but I would not hesitate to take them to WDW this summer regardless of their age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter