• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts about new CDC guidelines and how it might affect your Disney vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about this and the statement unmask outside and mask inside as many are suggesting. Here is my question. What is outside vs inside at Disney. There are certain rides that the lines are sort of inside but the ride is outside. Would it be no masks when walking around but masks once you get in line or go inside. I think that is a very hard thing to even figure out/regulate.

I have been thinking about this and the statement unmask outside and mask inside as many are suggesting. Here is my question. What is outside vs inside at Disney. There are certain rides that the lines are sort of inside but the ride is outside. Would it be no masks when walking around but masks once you get in line or go inside. I think that is a very hard thing to even figure out/regulate.
Exactly my thoughts as stated above. This sounds like a complete nightmare for CMs.

Seems pretty simple to put up a marker saying that's the point where masks needs to be put back on. And it's 'on your honor' just like it is everywhere in the parks currently. And just like it is when you enter a store in everyday life. No one should expect extreme policing of anything like this.

The CDC says you’re protected.
Yes - Im protected because I'm fully vaccinated, but what about others who choose not to vaccinate (for whatever reason) but they decide they dont want to wear a mask either and then they spread covid germs - then they're just spreading it around to everyone who hasn't been vaccinated..and then they get sick.

I guess that's just one way to get to herd immunity - if all the non-vaccinated folks who don't want to wear a mask spread covid germs to all the other non-vaccinated folks who don't want to wear a mask either...

it all works out in the end, right? :confused3

I really think that the case numbers for kids needs to be repeatedly mentioned in the media so that people stop freaking out about their kids catching something that is LESS fatal than the flu for those 12 and under. (And even 17 and under)

The media’s done a bang-up job of publicizing practically every one of the RARE serious cases in kids because let’s face it, that’s what gets viewers/clicks. However the end result is a large part of the population being scared of something that is simply NOT statistically dangerous.

This is a good point as the CDC itself explicitly says "The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm
It's been difficult to really find numbers to compare, as doing a straight comparison of Covid hospitalizations vs Flu hospitalizations doesn't really work because of all the mitigation factors we've done the past year to prevent Covid vs the nothing at all we really do to prevent the flu. So of course flu hospitalizations in 2019 will be way higher than Covid in 2020 because kids are far more likely to be exposed to the flu in a normal year than Covid. Also Covid testing for kids would be lower because they're far more likely to be asymptomatic, and thus not get tested in the first place, so it's not clear what the true percentage of kids who get exposed to Covid end up in this hospital. It also seems to be unethical to pump Covid particles into a school full of unvaccinated unmasked kids and figure it out that way :).

The main concern before adults could get the vaccine was that kids could spread it amongst themselves asymptomatically and then infect the adults in their lives. But obviously the vaccines remove that particular issue for adults now.

After thinking on it more it does seem like unvaccinated kids risk is truly really low, especially as cases continue to fall, but it still does feel weird. I always calculated risk by if an activity was more or less safe than driving, as driving is by far the most dangerous things most people do everyday. So would my kid be more likely to end up in the hospital driving to Disney vs being at Disney, and it seems like driving is the more risky one for kids. And as for any adult they might infect, well, that's on the adult at this point for not being vaxxed.

Yes - Im protected because I'm fully vaccinated, but what about others who choose not to vaccinate (for whatever reason) but they decide they dont want to wear a mask either and then they spread covid germs - then they're just spreading it around to everyone who hasn't been vaccinated..and then they get sick.

I guess that's just one way to get to herd immunity - if all the non-vaccinated folks who don't want to wear a mask spread covid germs to all the other non-vaccinated folks who don't want to wear a mask either...

Yep, that's the gray fuzzy mess we were destined to always enter for a few weeks this summer. So either cases hopefully continue to go down or at least stay steady and we find we've reach herd immunity. Or else we see a 5th wave and a spike of deaths as willingly unvaccinated adults all go infect each other as things open up and we all go unmasked. We'll just have to see what happens but there's not really a way around this.

Last edited:

That’s on those that choose not to get vaccinated. At this point everyone who wants to be vaccinated can be vaccinated. Eventually it comes down to personal responsibility. I’m not counting kids since their risk level is very very very small. The flu is more dangerous to kids.

This is a good point as the CDC itself explicitly says "The risk of complications for healthy children is higher for flu compared to COVID-19."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm
It's been difficult to really find numbers to compare, as doing a straight comparison of Covid hospitalizations vs Flu hospitalizations doesn't really work because of all the mitigation factors we've done the past year to prevent Covid vs the nothing at all we really do to prevent the flu.

That’s actually not true since there has been a flu vaccine for years and kids have been getting it for years and yet still becoming more seriously ill with flu than with Covid. Hard to believe a mask is more effective than a vaccine, even one as iffy as the flu vaccine which varies in effectiveness from year to year.

I'd say 99 percent of the people who are unvaccinated are doing that by choice, and have been doing what they want for months now. That is their own risk assessment, and that's their choice. We are moving past the " well what if unvaccinated get someone at risk sick " when most of the at risk have already been vaccinated. Once again, the rate of transmission in the country is dropping drastically to less than 10 people per 100,000. At a point of 1-2 points per week. Add in all the people who were infected already and not vaccinated, and the ones who never knew they had it, we are actually getting close to that herd immunity sooner than we think.

IMO, in the next few months, being unvaccinated won't matter, because the transmission rate will be so low. ( Obviously certain areas will be higher then others, but you get the point. Covid will always be here in the end, forever. It will just turn into something similar to a flu or less, since a lot of people don't have any symptoms or very mild ones )

The CDC director just said, the overwhelming majority of people who happen to get covid after vaccinated don't have enough viral load to spread it, and they are asymptomatic ( which means don't worry about being infected by unvaccinated ) She also said they are working against the variants out there, so lets rejoice the good news.

In the end, yes it will all work itself out. I know its hard to believe since its been a terrible 14 months, but its coming.

Last edited:
I'd say 99 percent of the people who are unvaccinated are doing that by choice, and have been doing what they want for months now. That is their own risk assessment, and that's their choice. We are moving past the " well what if unvaccinated get someone at risk sick " when most of the at risk have already been vaccinated. Once again, the rate of transmission in the country is dropping drastically to less than 10 people per 100,000. At a point of 1-2 points per week. Add in all the people who were infected already and not vaccinated, and the ones who never knew they had it, we are actually getting close to that herd immunity sooner than we think.

IMO, in two months, being unvaccinated won't matter, because the transmission rate will be so low. ( Obviously certain areas will be higher then others, but you get the point. Covid will always be here in the end, forever. It will just turn into something similar to a flu or less, since a lot of people don't have any symptoms or very mild ones )

The CDC director just said, the overwhelming majority of people who happen to get covid after vaccinated don't have enough viral load to spread it, and they are asymptomatic ( which means don't worry about being infected by unvaccinated ) She also said they are working against the variants out there, so lets rejoice the good news.

In the end, yes it will all work itself out. I know its hard to believe since its been a terrible 14 months, but its coming.

I guess I'm just in disbelief that the horribleness that has been the last 15 months is just *poof* over, just like that..we can take our mask off and go about our lives.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have totally been to Disney 3xs since last October and Im heading to Vegas in a week - I haven't been living under a rock..

and I guess now I'll have to be very aware of the faces I make and that I can longer mumble about the "idiot doing something" in front of me in the store since I may not be wearing a mask anymore to hide my face!!!

:rotfl2:

I guess I'm just in disbelief that the horribleness that has been the last 15 months is just *poof* over, just like that..we can take our mask off and go about our lives.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have totally been to Disney 3xs since last October and Im heading to Vegas in a week - I haven't been living under a rock..

and I guess now I'll have to be very aware of the faces I make and that I can longer mumble about the "idiot doing something" in front of me in the store since I may not be wearing a mask anymore to hide my face!!!

:rotfl2:

Oh I'm with you. Believe me, it won't be poof its over for many people. It will be an adjustment that is going to take time.

Kind of like, 1 person takes off the mask, then another, then another, then another lol until most don't have them. Who knows how long that could take. I was still very worried after I was fully vaccinated and then it got better. I'm still not FULLY OH YEA LETS PARTYYYYYY yet, but this guidance and actually seeing the CDC say its ok, and saying things are getting better and safer, now gives me more reassurance to feel even better and feel even safer indoors without it. I needed that ( even though they were annoying the hell out of me with the vaccinated guidance and made me wanna go crazy and wawkakjdlksadjfdklsdjsklgjdfjkldfjklgf. She went from IMPENDING DOOM, to hey take your masks off we good in like 6-8 weeks lol )

So you don’t think your vaccine will work? Why even get it if you still don’t feel safe when even before vaccination the outdoor transmission rate is LESS than 1%? That makes no sense to me. If you still don’t feel safe then wear your own KN95 mask which will certainly protect you. Certainly wouldn’t cancel a vacation over it.

I did mention somewhere that I was sure people would start to complain about the LACK of masks as soon as the mandate’s lifted. I’m actually a little sad to see that I was right.
Vaccines are not 100% effective just as flu shots aren't. Not only is there a slight chance that you can contract the virus but you can carry it. Does than mean not to get it, absolutely not. Seat belts don't always save a life but we all wear them.

Vaccines are not 100% effective just as flu shots aren't. Not only is there a slight chance that you can contract the virus but you can carry it. Does than mean not to get it, absolutely not. Seat belts don't always save a life but we all wear them.

Yes, but we don’t wear masks all flu season, and the number of breakthrough cases for the covid vaccine is currently MUCH lower than most other vaccines. I mean should we just mask and distance forever? Nothing is ever going to be 100%. If you’re still nervous after vaccinating, then wear a mask, just don’t expect everyone else to do the same.

I am vaccinated and will still wear my mask if they are not mandatory. I had intentions of taking my grandson, who will be 1 in July. If masks are not mandatory, I will not take him. He cannot wear a mask nor get vaccinated. The chances of the virus spreading in the parks will increase. Everyone knows CDC rules will not be followed. FL Governor has passed a bill making it illegal for businesses to request proof of vaccinations. Joe Blow might not be vaccinated but he will be maskless. This is not a wise move for Florida

I'm to the point of "let's all adult" my state is on the verge of "clear" meaning we can re-open. Masks at business discretion. Do I want to wear the darn mask ... nope. But I will if a place of business requires it. I'm still waiting for an official "all clear" and at that point I plan to have a giant bonfire and burn every last mask. - oh and I'm postphoning my trip to WDW until the end of 2022. hopefully all will be normal by then.

Yes, but we don’t wear masks all flu season, and the number of breakthrough cases for the covid vaccine is currently MUCH lower than most other vaccines. I mean should we just mask and distance forever? Nothing is ever going to be 100%. If you’re still nervous after vaccinating, then wear a mask, just don’t expect everyone else to do the same.
I am not comparing wearing masks for Covid19 vs Flu, sorry if I confused you. The comparison was that neither vaccine are 100% effective yet people get the shot. That is why I threw in seat belts as well. They too aren't 100% effective yet people wear them. You can still get killed wearing a seat belt, your chances drop. Just as your chances of contracting Covid19 or the Flu by being vaccinated. Sorry if there was any confusion. It was in response to your thoughts of why get vaccinated then????

Oh I'm with you. Believe me, it won't be poof its over for many people. It will be an adjustment that is going to take time.

Kind of like, 1 person takes off the mask, then another, then another, then another lol until most don't have them. Who knows how long that could take. I was still very worried after I was fully vaccinated and then it got better. I'm still not FULLY OH YEA LETS PARTYYYYYY yet, but this guidance and actually seeing the CDC say its ok, and saying things are getting better and safer, now gives me more reassurance to feel even better and feel even safer indoors without it. I needed that ( even though they were annoying the hell out of me with the vaccinated guidance and made me wanna go crazy and wawkakjdlksadjfdklsdjsklgjdfjkldfjklgf. She went from IMPENDING DOOM, to hey take your masks off we good in like 6-8 weeks lol )

Yea, her statement : “right now I am scared” statement was part of that impending doom thing, March 29th. We have come a long way, baby.

Last edited:
Yea, her statement : “right now am scared” statement was part of that impending doom thing, March 29th. We have come a long way, baby.

March 29th, so yeah 6 and a half weeks later. Wow, shows how great these vaccines are.

Can you imagine where we will be June 14th? July 14th? Or 6 and a half weeks from today?

Exciting times

March 29th, so yeah 6 and a half weeks later. Wow, shows how great these vaccines are.

Can you imagine where we will be June 14th? July 14th? Or 6 and a half weeks from today?

Exciting times

Hopefully - fireworks, parades, shows, entertainment, parties, all dining options, fast passes (yes I am in that camp), and even more hotel choices at WDW!!! Since park capacity and crowds have started to increase, it would be great if customers could receive full-service experiences for the full price being paid. DREAM BIG!!!!
ETA: I know you were referring to vaccine progress, but I was imagining what good things could come to WDW as we move forward.

Only Disney knows (and they ain't talking) how it's going to affect my next vacation. I'll do whatever the Disney rules say. I'm hoping to go some time in Sept. and have been fully vaccinated. If they don't have the social distancing markers down, I will probably keep a fair distance away from the person in front of me but that is just because I can't stand it when people come so close to behind me I can feel them. If they say I have to wear a mask indoors, I'll wear a mask in doors, if they say I don't have to, I probably won't. I'm hoping they drop the wearing them outdoors by then since it's a lot easier to do the F&W booths and walk around sipping my drink but it won't matter to me if they say they have to stay on. I didn't have a problem with it at the F&G booths in April. They do get a tad hot but it is what it is, if I want to play in their house, I'll follow their rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter