• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts about new CDC guidelines and how it might affect your Disney vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted a video of CMs at GF taking down the health and safety signage last night...
:yay::yay::yay:
ETA if you could point me in the direction of where I could see this, I would LOVE to see it.

Last edited:
And trusting unvaccinated people to continue to voluntarily wear a mask is a little scary.

this is my concern....

I mean, DH and I are fully vaccinated - along with our 19yr old living in the house, and DH and I are headed to Vegas in a few weeks and they're lifting outdoor mask mandates and taking down the partitions at the table games...but masks are still required in hotels/businesses (for now)

and with the statements of fully-vaccinated folks no longer needing to wear masks indoor and outside, who's to say folks who haven't gotten vaccinated, for whatever reason, also don't wear a mask....and just "pretend" that they're fully vaccinated...and who knows - what if some are contagious and don't even know it...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm totally ready to be back to "normal" - I've been working at home 100% for the last 15 months and I've only eaten inside a restaurant AT Disney, but are we really ready to just whip the masks off and go about our days?

Totally agree with this, although I thought they just announced something about going back to the old cancellation policy soon (if they didn't already)? This is going to get tricky really fast. Personally I'm fine with the shift back to "normal" happening pretty quickly, but I can understand that some people are not and will want to cancel their trips if they aren't comfortable with the new (or lack of) precautions. However, I'm not convinced Disney will give much, if any, warning when they make these changes, making it really hard for people to plan or cancel trips around it.

Honestly, it's been my experience that Disney is almost always willing to work with their Customers to keep them happy. So while they may say you can no longer cancel without penalty, if you call and ask nicely, they will either let you reschedule or refund your money. A happy Customer will be much more likely to return.

Extremely worried I will have to cancel my trip in 3 weeks because Chapek hinted in the earnings call they might drop the mask requirement (NOTHING concrete was said, but it seemed implied that they are planning on doing it sooner rather than later). I just started packing too. But there is absolutely no way I'm going to Florida, with the highest number of cases in the country and several variants floating around, if there is no mask policy. Yes, I am fully vaccinated. I would consider going to Disneyland California if they opened up to non-residents as they have half the cases with nearly double the population.

I would just suggest you double-check your stats on Florida. If you use the CDC covid tracker, Florida is less (per 100k people) than Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, etc.

this is my concern....

I mean, DH and I are fully vaccinated - along with our 19yr old living in the house, and DH and I are headed to Vegas in a few weeks and they're lifting outdoor mask mandates and taking down the partitions at the table games...but masks are still required in hotels/businesses (for now)

and with the statements of fully-vaccinated folks no longer needing to wear masks indoor and outside, who's to say folks who haven't gotten vaccinated, for whatever reason, also don't wear a mask....and just "pretend" that they're fully vaccinated...and who knows - what if some are contagious and don't even know it...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm totally ready to be back to "normal" - I've been working at home 100% for the last 15 months and I've only eaten inside a restaurant AT Disney, but are we really ready to just whip the masks off and go about our days?
The CDC says you’re protected.

this is my concern....

You're vaccinated, and vaccines work. I personally don't even think about if the person next to me is vaccinated, cause quite frankly, it doesn't bother me. I know I received my shot, and I am good. I know in the very small chance I did get it from someone, I will be fine. Also, what isn't reported as much right now is that many of the states are at a case load of 10 or less out of 100,000. Which in the beginning was where you needed to get to get rid of mask mandates. Things are improving around us. You hit the nail on the head with what you said. We are so accustomed to doing all these things for 15 months, that our minds kinda get screwed up when thinking about being normal, because we have been in this routine. Even knowing you are safe, it will take some time to get out of it and feel " normal " What do I think is the best way to get out of the uneasiness about it? Just doing it.

We will get there

Last edited:

Honestly, it's been my experience that Disney is almost always willing to work with their Customers to keep them happy. So while they may say you can no longer cancel without penalty, if you call and ask nicely, they will either let you reschedule or refund your money. A happy Customer will be much more likely to return.
I'm sure you are right about that!

Just FYI: We've been looking at a short trip to Hershey Park in PA, and this announcement appeared on their website last night: "Consistent with updated guidance from Pennsylvania and the CDC, face coverings and social distancing for guests who are fully vaccinated will no longer be required. " I was shocked at how quick that was, coming on the same day as the CDC announcement. Of course, there are no further details regarding how they tell if someone is vaccinated or not. I'm assuming it's just going to be the honor system. We're all vaccinated, so this is great news. I'm happy to wear a mask to protect others, but I take it off the first chance I get when I'm away from people.

I feel at this point Some only want to follow the science that they agree with.

The same people on my social media feeds yelling follow the science for the last year are now the same ones saying the CDC is insane to give this news out today. Apparently we’re all going to die, numbers are going to go up, we’re going to have another wave and be shut down again.

I feel the same way with people on the dis and other Disney sites. It was all good to follow CDC guidance when it was what they (generally speaking) wanted to hear but now it’s a no go.

this is my concern....

Hospitals and resources won’t be overwhelmed anymore even if unvaccinated people stop wearing masks. That was one of the main reasons for masks. Masks can go now.

Just FYI: We've been looking at a short trip to Hershey Park in PA, and this announcement appeared on their website last night: "Consistent with updated guidance from Pennsylvania and the CDC, face coverings and social distancing for guests who are fully vaccinated will no longer be required. " I was shocked at how quick that was, coming on the same day as the CDC announcement. Of course, there are no further details regarding how they tell if someone is vaccinated or not. I'm assuming it's just going to be the honor system. We're all vaccinated, so this is great news. I'm happy to wear a mask to protect others, but I take it off the first chance I get when I'm away from people.

We have HP season passes and I just saw their announcement this AM. Really cool actually!

I think part of the changes, not just at Hershey, but overall are not just due to being vaccinated, but the stats the CDC was talking about in regards to outdoor transmission being very minimal in general. I'm guessing Disney is going to be far more precautious, but who knows. They supposedly follow the CDC guidelines, so this is pretty cut and dry. I'd at least like to see the mask requirement removed from outdoor spaces.

The same people on my social media feeds yelling follow the science for the last year are now the same ones saying the CDC is insane to give this news out today. Apparently we’re all going to die, numbers are going to go up, we’re going to have another wave and be shut down again.
The excuse for states to close down businesses and place restrictions has always been that they are following the science. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

Interesting... maybe it is just my area but I don’t know anyone who is refusing the vaccine for any “crazy” type reason. I also know a lot of people who are not getting the vaccine for their kids (I am one of them) but who have all other vaccines and even took the covid vaccine. I’m in a pretty well-educated and upper-middle-class area though.
I think people forget how few children have died from covid. In Florida, it’s only 14 and most had serious underlying conditions. I get that even one death is horrible, but children are far more likely to die from other things. My husband and I are vaccinated, but I don’t feel the need to rush out and get my children vaccinated either.

I think people forget how few children have died from covid. In Florida, it’s only 14 and most had serious underlying conditions. I get that even one death is horrible, but children are far more likely to die from other things. My husband and I are vaccinated, but I don’t feel the need to rush out and get my children vaccinated either.

Yep. I will happily let my two under-12 children be mask free on our June trip if allowed. Not concerned in the slightest. They have both had flu and were fine. Covid is less dangerous than flu at their age. Follow the science.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the CDC numbers last night, and as of the end of April 2021, there have been 277 deaths nationwide of children 0-17, vs. 557,000+ people total. That's .05% of all deaths are in the 0-17 age group. No information on how many had underlying health issues. Just a very small risk level, it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter