Those who have sailed out of Miami

Ms.Mouseketeer

Mouseketeer
have you stayed near the beach in the days prior to your cruise? Where did you stay? Was a cab from the airport/to cruise port sufficient?

We stayed at Springhill Suites near the airport. We used Uber and I can not recommend it enough. It was fast and easy. We had friends that got stuck at the port waiting for "scheduled transportation

We stayed at Springhill Suites near the airport. We used Uber and I can not recommend it enough. It was fast and easy. We had friends that got stuck at the port waiting for "scheduled transportation

We might be sailing out of Miami next year - this is good info to have.

We also stayed near the airport. We live at the beach, so the beach was not our priority. We flew in 2 days in advance and stayed at the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon/Airport. They offered free parking, free breakfast, free weeknight dinner with beer and wine, free internet and free airport transportation. When we arrived, their shuttle was down, so they had us take a cab...and we needed two of them because there were 4 of us and we were traveling for 3 weeks...they paid for both cabs when we arrived AND upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite!

We picked up a rental car the next morning from the Marriott's Enterprise. We went to the Everglades and went on an airboat tour and then stopped at the NPS Visitor Center to kiddo could earn her Jr. Ranger Badge. We then drove to the Biscayne NPS Visitor Center where DD earned her 2nd Jr Ranger badge of the day. We stopped at Homestead Raceway (as I work in the motorsports industry and took a look at a few suites/venues they had available)...we continued to the Keys and had a dinner at Sunset in Islamorada and then drove back to the hotel...stopping for some wine, snacks etc. before we boarded the next day.

The next morning, we returned the car and took an Uber to the port. It was perfect!!

We stayed at the Intercontinental. Not the beach, but very close to the port (we woke up to see the ship in port from our room). We took a short cab ride to port. Super easy.

I LOVE Homewood Suites when travelling with the kids!

We had a rental car for a day also and decided not to do the beach too

We went to Wingate Walls, the kids thought it was really cool. There is a great little independent bakery that had pastry, bread and coffee. If you check it out, you can watch the people make the bread, the kids loved it.

we stayed a bit north of Fort Lauderdale - in Pompano on the beach. So we had a car. We returned it to the Miami airport and took DCL bus to the port. Worked well for us. There is a Budget rental in downtown near the port - the MIGHT have a shuttle now. Or a quick taxi ride.

the Hotel we stayed at was older, but nice. On the beach. Has two pools and the Ocean!! Restaurant in the hotel was pretty good. Lots of great food in the area. Beachcomber Resort and Villas

We stayed at the Intercontinental. Not the beach, but very close to the port (we woke up to see the ship in port from our room). We took a short cab ride to port. Super easy.

Stayed here as well; took a taxi from the airport and uber to the port, all very easy!

We flew into Ft Lauderdale because it was cheaper and took SAS transportation to our hotel, Doubletree Hilton Grand Biscayne Bay. It was not on the beach, but had a cool pool and we could see the ship in port when we woke up. We took the hotel shuttle to the port with other Disney cruisers and I don't remember how much it was but if I thought it was expensive I probably would have done a cab.

Another vote for the Intercontinental. I don't remember what floor we were on (higher up) and we could see the ship the morning of our cruise. The port view is gorgeous! Uber to the port and it couldn't have been easier.

I don't know if it's nice yet because our cruise is only in October but I booked the Stanton. The reviews are pretty good. It looks great, it has a pool, is right on the beach, is near a nice park and close to the ports and many restaurants.

We stayed at the JW Marriott Marquis on marriott points and it was one of the swankiest hotels I've ever stayed in, it was near water but no beach, view from the hotel room shown below and walking around it was fun. We went to a steakhouse nearby and there was a whole foods across the street with booze. Cab was very quick but they had a flat rate to the port for about $25.

2evzzif.jpg

We've cruised out of Miami twice. The first time we got a fabulous deal on a room at the Intercontinental through Hotwire for less than $100 (mid-October). The second time we were unable to score a good deal and stayed on the beach on Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago. I WILL NEVER AGAIN SET FOOT IN FORT LAUDERDALE DURING SPRING BREAK AGAIN. Sorry to yell. It was a nightmare. Drunken college kids were everywhere. They were obscene and vulgar and half naked and barfing and fighting. It was awful. So, if you're staying near a beach, just don't do it during spring break!

We've cruised out of Miami twice. The first time we got a fabulous deal on a room at the Intercontinental through Hotwire for less than $100 (mid-October). The second time we were unable to score a good deal and stayed on the beach on Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago. I WILL NEVER AGAIN SET FOOT IN FORT LAUDERDALE DURING SPRING BREAK AGAIN. Sorry to yell. It was a nightmare. Drunken college kids were everywhere. They were obscene and vulgar and half naked and barfing and fighting. It was awful. So, if you're staying near a beach, just don't do it during spring break!

This is actually one of the things I've been weary of going to Miami was hoping it was all in my head but all I can think of is "girls gone wild" atmosphere around the beaches. Luckily we have a verandah cabin so I'm not concerned about staying on the ocean

We stayed at the Hyatt Centric in South Beach, nice little hotel that was convenient to shops, dining and the port.

We took an Uber to the cruise terminal and on embarkation day, there was a boat show that jammed up traffic in the area. Our driver knew his way around and got us there quicker by back tracking and avoiding the traffic. On the flip side, our Uber from the airport to the hotel got lost and his phone that was using GPS completely died. He had to pull over and ask us to navigate for him - 0 stars.

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn. It was awesome. Great pool, free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, awesome free breakfast, bigger suite rooms for the family, we paid $8/person for their shuttle to the port at the time we chose to leave the hotel to the port in the morning...can't recommend this hotel enough!

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn. It was awesome. Great pool, free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, awesome free breakfast, bigger suite rooms for the family, we paid $8/person for their shuttle to the port at the time we chose to leave the hotel to the port in the morning...can't recommend this hotel enough!
You don't happen to remember the size of the sofa bed, do you?

You don't happen to remember the size of the sofa bed, do you?
The bed itself was a king. And the sofa bed was a queen. And the sofa at Residence Inn's usually have this little chaise lounger part on the end that can be used as a little place for a toddler to sleep. The kitchenette also has full sized appliances if you're wanting to cook there. It was spacious enough that it would've easily fit a rollaway twin if we had needed it.

Here is the link to the one we stayed at:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miaas-residence-inn-miami-airport/

There is also a residence inn on Miami Beach, but it was a LOT more expensive & honestly, that beach was a little grown up for my daughter (11 at the time). The night before we took an uber from the residence inn airport over to the beach to see the beach & go to dinner. I was scrambling to get her out of there after dark, as it got a little raunchy, & back to the hotel pool. I'm very glad I opted to save the money & stay at the airport one. It was so nice & the staff was great & was so clean. I think we paid around $150 for the night.

The bed itself was a king. And the sofa bed was a queen. And the sofa at Residence Inn's usually have this little chaise lounger part on the end that can be used as a little place for a toddler to sleep. The kitchenette also has full sized appliances if you're wanting to cook there. It was spacious enough that it would've easily fit a rollaway twin if we had needed it.
Thanks! I looked at the room details and it didn't mention the size. It also said rollaways not permitted in both the one and two bedrooms. :\

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter