Those choosing other cruise lines- what's your $ point?

I was referring back to what Shanti said about dietary restrictions being an issue for her family, in part.

It was more of a general commentary that people on these threads (the DCL vs every other cruiseline threads) often look at it from a straightforward dollar savings = better value standpoint. Which is totally fine for many families, and a perfectly valid conversation to have. And really, no one should argue that *insert any other cruiseline* is cheaper than DCL, purely in dollars.

Well, since I am part of those "price vs value" threads most of the time (as a minimalist I love the subject), I feel like I have to precise that we are not talking about price but about value/best value (and yes, it has a lot to do with what you are looking for. If you are looking for characters, DCL is the place to go. But if you are looking for luxury and good food, there are better options. If you are looking for more adult entertainment, there are better options as well...).

Even when it comes to special needs... There are options other than DCL. RCCL has a program named "Autism friendly ships". And "Autism on the seas" organizes cruises on not only RCCL but Carnival and Norwegian as well.

Also I feel like I have to mention that I have friends that have severe food restrictions and they travel and they go to Europe (and anywhere really) and they don't have to shop for groceries. They definitely had to do a little research before they left (and I am aware that not everybody has the time to do it but they did) and they dealt with it and had no problem whatsoever. So yeah, not everybody deals with the same circumstances the same way.

Last edited:
But you seem to be assuming that other cruise lines can't or won't deal with your special needs issues. Out of Galveston, Carnival keeps their second newest ship (right now the Breeze and soon to be the Vista). Royal has one of their better ships (recently refurbished with tons of new stuff) in Galveston. Both of these lines can (and do) deal with special diets and special needs.
I didn't mean to imply that no other lines can accommodate special needs, although I understand how it was read that way. I tend to be overly wordy and was attempting to be brief, ha! Bottom line issue for us right now is comfort based upon personal experience - DH's, not mine. I'd be willing to bet this is the case for a lot of other folks as well. As pertains to my family, do I like that? Nope. I have priced out dozens of cruises and really, really wanted to hit that book it button many time. Such awesome looking ships, great cost savings. But when I have to talk him into it, it feels pretty rotten. Is it silly that he is stuck on Disney vacations and nervous to try other options (where cooking our own food isn't an option)? I can totally see that others would see it that way, and often I want to say "let's just give it a try!" But I'm not the one who will get sick and have their vacation ruined. Eventually I just have to drop it. He hasn't gotten sick on a single Disney vacation in 5+ years. His personal experience (limited as it may be, statistically pointless as it may be) makes him comfortable. Bum luck on my part too is that he lived abroad for a chunk of his life and traveled extensively throughout Europe and Asia, so he's been-there/done-that as well, removing one aspect of incentive to broaden horizons. Add in that we have one child who is super into Disney still, and we're willing to pay more for Disney cruises - to specifically address the OP's question, definitely in the 4 figure range, actual amount to vary depending on length of cruise and itinerary. Although that is partially b/c we're a family of 4, not a couple. And this is for now, doubtless will change over time as the kids get older and DH gets comfortable with expanding his horizons.

fwiw, I've been on Carnival, Royal, HAL, and Princess too. I'm not a "DCL-only" person. I just like cruises. My price point is going to vary in other ways, depending on who I'm sailing with. In talks with a couple of girlfriends about doing a cruise out of CA - we'd do whatever is cheapest, most likely. We'll be happy on any old ship, going anywhere. And yes, I've been on one of those old Carnival ships already. With my parents included - it would come down to a lot of factors. They are willing to pay more for a Disney cruise right now b/c of age-specific activities for their grandchildren - Frozen deck party, etc - as well as my mom preferring the G/PG entertainment. Having already done Alaska on Princess, it is a bit more about the shipboard experiences for now, so we're doing DCL to Alaska next summer. In a few years, they'd go with Royal or Princess if it saved $1000 or more and had an interesting itinerary. Other lines would have to offer a deeper savings based upon their past experience and preferences. I don't know that I could pin down a dollar amount for most situations involving family. But definitely UNwilling to pay anything extra to sail DCL with my friends, sans any of my family members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter