This weekend in Bahamas

i'm so stressing about this. we are on Friday Dream. We planned this as a last quick summer getaway before school starts for us on Tuesday. My wife is a teacher. We had a grand plan of getting back Monday - we have a 12pm ressie at oga's in Star Wars Galaxy Edge. Now Oga's is least of my concern. Seeing as it will likely hit Orlando/Central Florida coast Monday, we are likely missing first day of school. And if' it's 24 hours notice, i need to call my airline on Sunday to reschedule, and my phone at sea won't work. I do have insurance, so fees and cost for that i'm ok with. It's just how do I get in touch with my airline on the phone if we are out to sea.

You will be able to text home onboard either by buying a WiFi package or people with IPhones have reported that they can IMessage without an additional charge
Make arrangements with someone at home to call for you if needed

They can also dock at a different port and bus everyone back to Orlando airport. They have done this in the past when they couldn't dock in Port Canaveral. For example if it is safe to dock in Tampa they may do that instead.
I think I have read previously that the Fantasy and Dream cant fit under the bridge in Tampa to dock there?

Disney provided free internet one time when delayed getting back to port to allow people to call their airlines and go on line to make changes.

I just learned that insurance policy only covers losses if the Cruise Line cancels the trip due to inclement weather. I was hoping I can just cancel and re-book for a later date, as Dorian is a named storm predicted to become a cat 2 hitting the coast, but I was educated by the Travel Guard rep that the policy I bought (via costco) doesn't work that way.

2 times in a row Travel Guard let me down. Never am I ever going to purchase or recommend that policy anymore.
Last time was our travel to mexico. We lost some stuff from checked baggage, totaling about 300$ and they wanted a load of evidence and documentation, when Delta Airlines just paid for it with a complaint over phone.

So unless DCL cancels the Dream on Friday (highly unlikely), we are setting sail on our very first cruise this weekend. Not the way we expected to feel, but better than no vacation at all... I hope.

BTW, I was following @JamesVanFleet on Twitter to monitor what RC was going to do as DCL seemed to act on same lines, and he says they are deciding on the weekend cruises and will have some news out by 3pm today (ET). Keeping fingers crossed.
Yeah, what you're looking for would only be covered under "Cancel for any reason" type of policy. I've had TravelGuard insurance for each of my cruises with several claims quickly paid after providing reasonable documentation. Sorry you've had such back luck!

BTW, I was following @JamesVanFleet on Twitter to monitor what RC was going to do as DCL seemed to act on same lines, and he says they are deciding on the weekend cruises and will have some news out by 3pm today (ET). Keeping fingers crossed.

We cruised on the Fantasy the day after Hurricane Sandy hit Orlando. The RCCL ship stayed in port and offered the passengers to just use it as a floating hotel for those unable to change their travel plans (and refunded everyone's cruise $$$$.) The Fantasy did sustain minor damage, and the cruise before ours arrived in Port Canaveral several hours late after a rough(!) night at sea, but the exhausted crew quickly disembarked/embarked passengers and went back out to sea. It was kind of sad to see the RCCL ship just sitting there in port.

Castaway Cay had taken a major hit but was pristine two days later, except all the leaves had turned brown from the salt-water. The only "greenery" on the island was a cell phone tower disguised as a palm tree.

The DCL crews work so very hard!

*I noticed there was no thread about Hurricane Dorian yet so here it is* ...

It looks like most cruise lines are preparing themselves for Hurricane Dorian who will hit many islands this week and is expected to hit Florida as well this week-end.

RCCL announced yesterday that most stops to CocoCay were cancelled and the island was closed until September 4, 2019...

...So I am expecting Castaway Cay to be preparing for the hurricane as well...

Any words from DCL yet? Anyone sailing this week?

Since there was a thread on this subject already I have merged your thread into this one.

Spaghetti models got it going from Miami to the Carolinas but it looks like most of them are ending up close to Port Canaveral for Monday morning. If it is determined that PC will be the area taking the hit, would they just out right cancel the Monday Dream sailing or could they just move it to sailing out of Miami? I would assume the Dream would go out to sea or elsewhere anyway instead of risking it in port. Only problem I could foresee is that all cruise lines will try to shift to sailing out of Miami creating a space available issue.

Spaghetti models got it going from Miami to the Carolinas but it looks like most of them are ending up close to Port Canaveral for Monday morning. If it is determined that PC will be the area taking the hit, would they just out right cancel the Monday Dream sailing or could they just move it to sailing out of Miami? I would assume the Dream would go out to sea or elsewhere anyway instead of risking it in port. Only problem I could foresee is that all cruise lines will try to shift to sailing out of Miami creating a space available issue.

More likely they will cut the Friday cruise short, cancel the Monday sailing, disembark passengers as quickly as possible Sunday, and sail out with only crew. The ship is safer at sea than tethered in port.

More likely they will cut the Friday cruise short

That's what I was thinking. That 3 night is looking like a 2 night or possible zero night if they say why bother for a one or two night. The storm will be over the Bahamas during the weekend, so I'm not even sure where they could go in 1 or 2 nights other than just a small loop of sea days only.

That's what I was thinking. That 3 night is looking like a 2 night or possible zero night if they say why bother for a one or two night.

Yeah. I would say right now whether it goes at all depends on what the forecast is looking like by probably tomorrow afternoon. They got flack last year for not making early deductions and people flying in AND for “dumping” people with nowhere to go. (Granted several lines took flack with a variety of storms - Harvey and ships scheduled for Galveston in particular.) So my uneducated guess is if things still look bad for PC by sometime tomorrow they may well cancel at least Friday’s - disembark and skeedaddle outta there to get out of the path with crew only.

Also, with the storm over The Bahamas, they couldn't just do a sea days only loop. Isn't there some law where you have to stop at a foreign port? I think I remember that from someone posting here.

Also, with the storm over The Bahamas, they couldn't just do a sea days only loop. Isn't there some law where you have to stop at a foreign port? I think I remember that from someone posting here.

Yes if scheduled that way. No if they have to so for safety reasons, such as a storm.

On the Fantasy now and so far no anmouncement on further changes. Will expect maybe news tonight. All aboard is 6:30 pm.

I’m reading that the storm is now supposed to make landfall on Tuesday as opposed to Monday. Now I’m getting more nervous of us being able to set sail on The Dream Monday.

ETA: Actually I’m hoping it continues to slow down until Wednesday so we can all get on our cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter