This weekend in Bahamas

called them this morning and got nothing. They said its still set out to sail unless they are told otherwise, and they can make a decision anytime from now until friday :(

Same here... hopefully its all clear by the time we leave on Monday!
clear by the time you are ready to leave is the easy part potentially. Getting the Dream into port in the early morning hours, getting everything off and provisions on during a storm will not be feasible if the storm hits as projected.

Anything can happen with the storm that many days away. We live in Orlando and we are hoping it continues to take a more northerly path and doesn't really impact Florida at all.

If I were on one leaving this weekend and was traveling to FL from further away, I think I would make some (cancellable) backup plans in case you get to FL and then find out that they've decided to cancel. That way at least you're not stuck at the airport with nowhere to go, while FL coastal residents are in the midst of evacuating. Like find a hotel in Orlando and book it, so long as you are able to cancel with no penalty.

The 11 am report now shows Dorian will be projected to be a Major Hurricane when it hits the Florida coast.

clear by the time you are ready to leave is the easy part potentially. Getting the Dream into port in the early morning hours, getting everything off and provisions on during a storm will not be feasible if the storm hits as projected.

Anything can happen with the storm that many days away. We live in Orlando and we are hoping it continues to take a more northerly path and doesn't really impact Florida at all.
Thank you for your input- very much appreciated!

i'm so stressing about this. we are on Friday Dream. We planned this as a last quick summer getaway before school starts for us on Tuesday. My wife is a teacher. We had a grand plan of getting back Monday - we have a 12pm ressie at oga's in Star Wars Galaxy Edge. Now Oga's is least of my concern. Seeing as it will likely hit Orlando/Central Florida coast Monday, we are likely missing first day of school. And if' it's 24 hours notice, i need to call my airline on Sunday to reschedule, and my phone at sea won't work. I do have insurance, so fees and cost for that i'm ok with. It's just how do I get in touch with my airline on the phone if we are out to sea.

i'm so stressing about this. we are on Friday Dream. We planned this as a last quick summer getaway before school starts for us on Tuesday. My wife is a teacher. We had a grand plan of getting back Monday - we have a 12pm ressie at oga's in Star Wars Galaxy Edge. Now Oga's is least of my concern. Seeing as it will likely hit Orlando/Central Florida coast Monday, we are likely missing first day of school. And if' it's 24 hours notice, i need to call my airline on Sunday to reschedule, and my phone at sea won't work. I do have insurance, so fees and cost for that i'm ok with. It's just how do I get in touch with my airline on the phone if we are out to sea.
Just as a heads up, Disney World shut down for either 1 or 2 days when Irma came through a couple of years ago...............so it may not even be open when you get off the ship

I just learned that insurance policy only covers losses if the Cruise Line cancels the trip due to inclement weather. I was hoping I can just cancel and re-book for a later date, as Dorian is a named storm predicted to become a cat 2 hitting the coast, but I was educated by the Travel Guard rep that the policy I bought (via costco) doesn't work that way.

2 times in a row Travel Guard let me down. Never am I ever going to purchase or recommend that policy anymore.
Last time was our travel to mexico. We lost some stuff from checked baggage, totaling about 300$ and they wanted a load of evidence and documentation, when Delta Airlines just paid for it with a complaint over phone.

So unless DCL cancels the Dream on Friday (highly unlikely), we are setting sail on our very first cruise this weekend. Not the way we expected to feel, but better than no vacation at all... I hope.

BTW, I was following @JamesVanFleet on Twitter to monitor what RC was going to do as DCL seemed to act on same lines, and he says they are deciding on the weekend cruises and will have some news out by 3pm today (ET). Keeping fingers crossed.

On the Fantasy now in Cozumel. Were suppose to be in st Thomas but we re routes. CC is planned on friday. Return Sat. No word yet from crew on any changes. Preparing CC no-go and wondering how we get back sat if storm turns tiwards FL. As we need to go through to get home

. It's just how do I get in touch with my airline on the phone if we are out to sea.
This isn't Disney's first rodeo. On the Fantasy trip in May of 201(7) that was delayed into canaveral, guests were given free ship to shore calls for the purpose of rearranging flights, etc. There were long lines at guest services. I believe they also increased the free wifi allotment to allow folks to try and take care of things. It was slow and cumbersome for many, but they were able to get things hashed out.

Also on the Friday Dream, first cruise for all of us. Good times. Added bonus of living near St Augustine in the path if it holds. At this point we are looking at it like this: we'd be evacuating for a Cat 3 regardless, so better to be on the Dream (maybe even for an extra day) than stuck in a highway motel somewhere killing time while it passes. And it's already paid for at this point. So we hope the cruise still happens and maybe we get an extra day and maybe we can stop in Nassau Sunday or Monday depending upon how far north Dorian goes. And hope our car is still in the garage at PC when we get back, lol.

We're also on this Friday's sailing on the Dream. I only wish I knew the plans in advance because I'm flying down tomorrow and wanted some idea of what to expect. Truly, I trust Disney has enough experience to handle this and my friends and I have determined we're good with whatever happens. I am planning to fly home Monday night but I have insurance in case that falls through. One member of our party is local to Orlando so worst comes to worst we'll stay with her. Hoping to get on the Dream on Friday though because as much as I was looking forward to a day on Castaway, I'll still have fun even with a sea day.

I hope everyone is able to make plans for changes that may occur and that you stay safe.;

They can also dock at a different port and bus everyone back to Orlando airport. They have done this in the past when they couldn't dock in Port Canaveral. For example if it is safe to dock in Tampa they may do that instead.

*I noticed there was no thread about Hurricane Dorian yet so here it is* ...

It looks like most cruise lines are preparing themselves for Hurricane Dorian who will hit many islands this week and is expected to hit Florida as well this week-end.

RCCL announced yesterday that most stops to CocoCay were cancelled and the island was closed until September 4, 2019...

...So I am expecting Castaway Cay to be preparing for the hurricane as well...

Any words from DCL yet? Anyone sailing this week?

They can also dock at a different port and bus everyone back to Orlando airport. They have done this in the past when they couldn't dock in Port Canaveral. For example if it is safe to dock in Tampa they may do that instead.
The only issue with Tampa (where we live) is that the Euro model has it hitting Tampa as a cat 1-2 once it hits FL...

The only issue with Tampa (where we live) is that the Euro model has it hitting Tampa as a cat 1-2 once it hits FL...

I was only using it as an example. I was at WDW during hurricane Charlie and the storm changed paths so many times that people were changing their flights to nearby airports to only find out the next day the storm shifted and had to change again and again.

We are scheduled to leave Saturday on the Fantasy for 7 days. I haven't received word yet from DCL, and I'm hoping we leave as scheduled since the latest track of Dorian has it making landfall not until Monday morning around 8am. Of course this can all change in the next 72 hours+. Crossing my fingers that we still get to sail!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter