This trip has changed our minds about SSR

tidefan

DIS Veteran
So... just got back from a quick stay at SSR. Even though we are SSR owners (among others), this was our first stay at SSR since 2019. I knew that the rooms had been updated and I have seen them on various YouTube sites and knew that they were completely changed and looked pretty good. However, having now stayed there, I realized just how much things have changed and how different the resort is. To be honest, I didn't really dislike the original version of SSR as we thought it was OK, but I will give credit to DVC on the job they did on the refurbishment, it has definitely moved it up the list for us. We stayed in a Studio in the Paddock section. A few notes.
  • The murphy bed really is a great compromise solution to the second bed question. I know that many would prefer to have 2 queens in the room, but for us as a couple, we love having the room with the sofa. It does take a slight bit of space against the wall, but all things considered, I think that it is a better solution than the sofa bed (and looks like it is much easier to use).
  • The coffee-table that turns into a desk ended up being a great place to work from (and eat my Gideon's Cake). Lost in the shuffle of the room re-do was that the table and chairs were removed. I thought that may be an issue, but the coffee-table-desk contraption really worked well.
  • The shower is much improved
  • I really liked the laminate flooring over the old carpet. I hope they do this with the BLT refurb next year.
  • I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but both DW and I both noted that this trip was way more relaxing than our last few stays (including BLT, Jambo, Kidani, Poly, and RIV). Again, not sure why that is, but I actually felt like I was on vacation.
  • We always drive (about 8 hours) to WDW. Absolutely love being able to park outside the building. Also, it's only about a 5 minute drive to Epcot.
  • Take the bus to and from the Congress Park stop to walk over to Disney Springs. We would just use whatever bus came by (we were by the Carousel Stop) as an "Internal" bus and get off at Congress Park and walk over. Also, be careful near the bridge. We saw (along with about 15 other onlookers - wildlife brings out the onlookers!) some snakes on the bank under the side of the bridge on the DS side.
  • An unexpected bonus of being at SSR is that it makes the Virtual Queue at Gideon's so easy. On Saturday, there was a 5 hour VQ. No problem, got in, went back to SSR to watch some football, went back over when I got the text. Highly recommend the "Bride of Frankenstein" cookie and the Peanut Butter Banana cake.
  • The pools at SSR are excellent and IMHO, some of the best in all of DVC. That being said, I really hope that the person in charge of the music blaring at them can tone down the classical music. I mean, I appreciate Vivaldi as much as the next person, but it doesn't have to be at ear-shattering decibels.
  • While I like OKW as well, I think that the aesthetic at SSR is just nicer. Also, every building has an elevator, which puts it ahead for us. OKW does have great 1/2 Bedrooms, though.
  • I do wish that DVC would set up an "expected Check-out" time in the app just like they have an "expected Check-in" time. That way, housekeeping wouldn't have to knock every 30 minutes starting at 8am on checkout day...
The upshot of all this was that we really gained a newfound appreciation for SSR, so much so that we cancelled our BLT Lake View stay for May and moved it to a SSR Studio, and this is from people that really like BLT. However, we love the tranquility and peaceful surroundings. But, this also brings me to the last point. That weeklong stay at SSR is 38 points less than the stay at BLT. The point value really exists at SSR (and OKW and AKV-Standard, actually). Now, will I give up my MNSSHP stay at BLT, or the occasional stay at PVB? The answer there is of course not. Those are all great resorts too! However, after this trip I don't view SSR as a resort of "last resort". We actually prefer it now, at least for a stay or two where we may not be in "park commando" mode and just want to relax. I think that SSR does the best job of that.

If we are not doing a park-heavy trip, we will usually do SSR for a couple of nights. It's so nice to be that close to DS. I also just enjoy the relaxed atmosphere there.

So... just got back from a quick stay at SSR. Even though we are SSR owners (among others), this was our first stay at SSR since 2019. I knew that the rooms had been updated and I have seen them on various YouTube sites and knew that they were completely changed and looked pretty good. However, having now stayed there, I realized just how much things have changed and how different the resort is. To be honest, I didn't really dislike the original version of SSR as we thought it was OK, but I will give credit to DVC on the job they did on the refurbishment, it has definitely moved it up the list for us. We stayed in a Studio in the Paddock section. A few notes.
  • The murphy bed really is a great compromise solution to the second bed question. I know that many would prefer to have 2 queens in the room, but for us as a couple, we love having the room with the sofa. It does take a slight bit of space against the wall, but all things considered, I think that it is a better solution than the sofa bed (and looks like it is much easier to use).
  • The coffee-table that turns into a desk ended up being a great place to work from (and eat my Gideon's Cake). Lost in the shuffle of the room re-do was that the table and chairs were removed. I thought that may be an issue, but the coffee-table-desk contraption really worked well.
  • I really liked the laminate flooring over the old carpet. I hope they do this with the BLT refurb next year.
  • I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but both DW and I both noted that this trip was way more relaxing than our last few stays (including BLT, Jambo, Kidani, Poly, and RIV). Again, not sure why that is, but I actually felt like I was on vacation.
  • We always drive (about 8 hours) to WDW. Absolutely love being able to park outside the building. Also, it's only about a 5 minute drive to Epcot.
  • Take the bus to and from the Congress Park stop to walk over to Disney Springs. We would just use whatever bus came by (we were by the Carousel Stop) as an "Internal" bus and get off at Congress Park and walk over. Also, be careful near the bridge. We saw (along with about 15 other onlookers - wildlife brings out the onlookers!) some snakes on the bank under the side of the bridge on the DS side.
  • An unexpected bonus of being at SSR is that it makes the Virtual Queue at Gideon's so easy. On Saturday, there was a 5 hour VQ. No problem, got in, went back to SSR to watch some football, went back over when I got the text. Highly recommend the "Bride of Frankenstein" cookie and the Peanut Butter Banana cake.
  • The pools at SSR are excellent and IMHO, some of the best in all of DVC. That being said, I really hope that the person in charge of the music blaring at them can tone down the classical music. I mean, I appreciate Vivaldi as much as the next person, but it doesn't have to be at ear-shattering decibels.
  • While I like OKW as well, I think that the aesthetic at SSR is just nicer. Also, every building has an elevator, which puts it ahead for us. OKW does have great 1/2 Bedrooms, though.
  • I do wish that DVC would set up an "expected Check-out" time in the app just like they have an "expected Check-in" time. That way, housekeeping wouldn't have to knock every 30 minutes starting at 8am on checkout day...
The upshot of all this was that we really gained a newfound appreciation for SSR, so much so that we cancelled our BLT Lake View stay for May and moved it to a SSR Studio, and this is from people that really like BLT. However, we love the tranquility and peaceful surroundings. But, this also brings me to the last point. That weeklong stay at SSR is 38 points less than the stay at BLT. The point value really exists at SSR (and OKW and AKV-Standard, actually). Now, will I give up my MNSSHP stay at BLT, or the occasional stay at PVB? The answer there is of course not. Those are all great resorts too! However, after this trip I don't view SSR as a resort of "last resort". We actually prefer it now, at least for a stay or two where we may not be in "park commando" mode and just want to relax. I think that SSR does the best job of that.

Thanks! I wish DH could read your thread. He says he never wants to stay at SSR, only at OKW. However, I now have to use an ECV, and as you pointed out, at SSR every building has an elevator. Currently when we go to OKW, I always worry, "Will we get the first floor as we requested?" Much as I'm not a fan of snakes, it hasn't swayed me from wanting to try SSR. I'm hoping that on my next solo trip, I can go over to SSR and take some pictures that might tempt DH to try it.

We stay here every couple of years for the value and change of pace as well. I prefer it over OKW simply because of the counter service options. Once they updated the Paddock pool to a feature pool that's when we started rotating it in. I wish they would add some kind of inside counter service at OKW so I could add them to my rotation. I've been a member since 2008 and own at AKV and BLT but we have stayed at SSR 4 times.

We stayed in May and July and loved it! If we hadn't already rented points for VGF, BR, and RIV for next month, I truly think we would have stayed there again!

SSR is definitely a great place if you are not doing parks or park light.
My family has stayed there pre and post cruise, when not going to parks. We have also stayed there recently with a spilt stay at Rivera (my new favorite resort).
Proximity to DS is phenomenal.
😎👍🏻

We too just returned. I am a loyal OKW fan. Just love the vibe there. The buildings colors just make me happy. That being said, our last two trips have been SSR simply because of the two murphy's in the living room. My daughter and my little grandtinker stay on those in a 1BR while we get the master. Then, this trip my son, his girlfriend and her two boys stayed in the 2md bedroom. If the 1 or 2 bedroom at OKW had those two beds instead of the pull outs, I would probably still be at OKW, but to me SSR is only slightly down the list now where it used to be way down the list. Main reason for it still being behind are space and of course the gurgling suitcase. I love that both are on golf courses as both my son and I play. I agree that the refurb may be one of the best on property.

I completely share this belief on SSR! It's such a beautiful, relaxing resort that doesn't get nearly enough praise. I'm newish to DVC, so while the majority of my time at Disney World has been spent at the moderate and deluxe hotels over the years, I still know the properties quite well. The theming is great, the pools are phenomenal, the new rooms are beautiful and themed appropriately, the sprawling grounds are great for walkers/runners, and you've got quick access to countless good restaurants and entertainment in Disney Springs.

If you're doing a more relaxing trip vs a traditional park heavy trip, then I think SSR needs to be near the top of the list of DVC resorts to choose from.

I love that both are on golf courses as both my son and I play. I agree that the refurb may be one of the best on property.
At SSR, are there many rooms from which you can see the golfers? One of the main reasons why DH loves OKW is that he can watch the golfers from many of the rooms. Is that possible at SSR?

Attachments

• F210E391-4E8B-4549-B3E1-109B3DF5D389_1_201_a.jpeg
    F210E391-4E8B-4549-B3E1-109B3DF5D389_1_201_a.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2424E9A9-0988-4E9A-B2E1-1518294E0558_1_105_c.jpeg
    2424E9A9-0988-4E9A-B2E1-1518294E0558_1_105_c.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 9779B56E-BA32-466C-9D31-F93012C07095_1_105_c.jpeg
    9779B56E-BA32-466C-9D31-F93012C07095_1_105_c.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 7
We are huge fans of SSR too. It's a great place to start out a trip or pre/post cruise for a couple days, but we've had longer trips (7-8 days) and really enjoyed our stay. The grounds are pretty, good workout facility, easy walk to DS for more dining options, no problems with the bus system, rooms are nice. I always like being at a resort that I can walk to something disney -- MK, Epcot, HS, DS.

At SSR, are there many rooms from which you can see the golfers? One of the main reasons why DH loves OKW is that he can watch the golfers from many of the rooms. Is that possible at SSR?
As Carolyn said, not so much. Now if you include the treehouses, there are a lot of golf course views. OKW definitely have the upper hand there.

We stay at SSR in the GrandStand area every year. We always have views of the course. Last year my wife filmed me playing Hole#10, from our balcony.
At Dusk & Dawn I walk the course, and have collected more than 200 golf balls in the past 2 years.
It’s a great location for us!

We stay at SSR in the GrandStand area every year. We always have views of the course. Last year my wife filmed me playing Hole#10, from our balcony.
At Dusk & Dawn I walk the course, and have collected more than 200 golf balls in the past 2 years.
It’s a great location for us!
Sounds like my dad. Before he moved to his Assisted living, he lived on a golf course and walked the perimeter every day. Came home with buckets of golf balls.

We love SSR, too! Great for long trips when you want relaxing break from the feel of the parks. Loved it before the room refurbishment, but it's even better now. We also like staying in the Paddock section right next to that pool and quick service. It isn't even a preferred section!

Tidefan - Loved reading your post (except the part about the snakes). Our home resort is Saratoga Springs. Not ashamed to admit that from our "welcome home" visit in 2005, we did not return for 16 years (May 2021). The time span didn't really have much to do with SSR other than we were newly minted DVC members and "eager to try them all!" Back then, using points to stay in deluxe resorts was not a bad value and not much hassle so we spent a few years staying in deluxe resorts prior to them turning DVC (Grand Floridian, AKL, etc.). Anyway, fast forward to 2021 with older parents and wanting to be able to distance ourselves and have a little more outdoor/personal space. SSR was perfect. The grounds are immaculate and there's so much space - often we'd be the only ones walking around. The renovation is gorgeous and amazing. And the best part - proximity to Disney Springs. Back when we bought, Downtown Disney wasn't that great. Renovated resort + Disney Springs and all that it has to offer for retail, dining, and entertainment makes SSR a strong contender and a great option if you are doing a workcation or non-parks trip.

Agreed on Gideon's btw. I was working remotely on the 2021 trip so I enjoyed getting breakfast and taking breaks in DS when not on calls. I also like being able to order Starbucks on my mobile app.

I’m here at SSR now for a quick weekend trip. Our first stay here but won’t be our last. We are in Paddock, and don’t find anything to be too far away, which I am happily surprised by. Things look so far away on the map, and reading reviews made it seem a chore to get around without a car. The Paddock pool was incredibly warm yesterday (much warmer than the main one!) I do have a horrible sense of direction so I got lost yesterday even with a map, which ended up being a lovely stroll of the grounds. When I got tired I asked a CM for help and found my way to the Carriage House in 5 mins.

Also that avocado toast for breakfast is going a long way to convincing me that I need to stay here more often.

It is so nice to read all of these positive reviews! I am SPLURGING on a stay at SSR in January to celebrate my daughter's graduation from college. From what we've seen, the theming of SSR is our vibe. We have a low key trip planned with only two park days. We wanted a place where we could relax, enjoy the balcony, use the pool if its warm enough, and visit Disney Springs. But I have been nervous as to whether SSR was really worth the extra money. After reading this thread, I'm feeling confident that it will be the lovely trip we have been dreaming about! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

I really wish people would stop posting like this. SSR is my home resort, I loved it being the red-headed step child, that way I can book whenever I needed to. Now with all this love and people finding out how nice it is, it might make it more difficult.
I will point out lots of negatives for all. No direct park access. Bussing only to parks. Huge resort, lots of walking. No great signature restaurant. Could end up long way from main building.
Come on who really wants to stay here with all this negativity.
Go enjoy the monorail and Epcot resorts.
Please I am biting my tongue its so far in my cheek. Love the resort and hope all enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter