This summer compared to last

Bossy22

DIS Veteran
So my family and I went to DL last July and had the worst trip of our lives (still many great memories as we truly love DL) but it was the most crowded, the slowest moving lines, not much to see (shows etc) and we just didn't have the best trip compared to our other 9 trips. I am curious if it was the post covid trips being used up maxed things out? I know there are not slow times per say at DL but it just seemed crazy. Was it the crowds, the new genie+, etc. So my question for those who went last summer and those who have went this summer. Is it more crowded? Are things moving better or is waiting in lines forever just the new norm? Boys I miss free fastpass and lines that actually moved!

I just got back yesterday from a 3 day trip over the weekend and I can tell you anectotally that the parks felt much less crowded than I expected. There were times in the late afternoon/early evening where Radiator Springs Racer was only 55 mins, Space Mountain was 45, Big Thunder was 35, Indy was 50. Walking around felt much easier than what I remembered from last year. Again just my perception. Your mileage may vary.

So far, this summer is definitely less crowded than last year. In comparison, last year from May 1 to July 5 there were 18 dates with a 35+ minute wait average. So far this year there have been 8 days with 35+ minute wait.

On the flip side. Using the same time frame. So far this year there have been about 20 dates in the green wait area (23 minutes or less) while last year had ZERO.

So yea. Things are calming down.

So far, this summer is definitely less crowded than last year. In comparison, last year from May 1 to July 5 there were 18 dates with a 35+ minute wait average. So far this year there have been 8 days with 35+ minute wait.

On the flip side. Using the same time frame. So far this year there have been about 20 dates in the green wait area (23 minutes or less) while last year had ZERO.

So yea. Things are calming down.
That's really good to hear. Heading to DLR tomorrow and starting in the parks on Friday!

This summer has been noticeably less crowded than last, for sure. Weather has been much better as well.

Yesterday, July 4, DCA was DEAD. Like, it was sad how empty it was. Many rides were walk ons. Incredicoaster never went above a 20 min wait. We ate dinner at Smokejumpers at 6:30 and about 75% of the tables were empty. Unheard of, honestly.

Agree that this summer is much better so far. Yesterday was wonderful at both parks! Minimal waits for most rides, 30 min for Indy as we were heading home at 7 pm. We had a Toy Story shuttle all to ourselves, which was a first!

Agree that this summer is much better so far. Yesterday was wonderful at both parks! Minimal waits for most rides, 30 min for Indy as we were heading home at 7 pm. We had a Toy Story shuttle all to ourselves, which was a first!
Disney isn’t going to like this. They will try something to get more people in the parks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies, I still won't be able to convince my wife of a last minute trip as from Canada it is not cheap but maybe next year! I still miss the days of normal fastpass where we never waited more than 15 minutes even when the parks were busy!

They have. They’ve got the CA Resident discount ticket. Wonder if they’ll do something more, or if the hard ticket events are making up the income? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Not sure if it is enough in Disney's eyes, but I think the CA resident ticket is bringing a lot of people in.

I agree. I check out the wait times on the DL app when I am bored (get a life, right) and have noticed shorter wait times than what I would expect during the summer. Some of the wait times are very similar to when we went in late Jan 2023

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter