This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

We are scheduled to drive down to WDW for the long weekend. I’ve seen lots of people changing plans due to flights but what would we be looking at trying to drive a couple days after impact? I’m worried about traffic going south from people returning home and possibilities of gas scarcity.

Check your vehicle's range on a full tank - do you have enough to get from WDW back to Georgia?

I filled up at Speedway before Hurricane Ian, and had enough fuel to get back to TN without stopping. Even without filling up, I had enough fuel from the drive down to at least get our of Florida. I even brought a 5gal jug just in case - didnt need any of it.

It’s completely overcast here now at almost 2pm but looks like rain bands may make it up here sometime this evening? I see rain on the radar but it depends on the track of the storm as always. Not any wind really just slightly breezy.

We are scheduled to drive down to WDW for the long weekend. I’ve seen lots of people changing plans due to flights but what would we be looking at trying to drive a couple days after impact? I’m worried about traffic going south from people returning home and possibilities of gas scarcity.

Gov. DeSantis has already said they have fuel supplies on standby and the gas stations along the main evacuation routes will get priority for fuel deliveries. To be safe, I would refuel before reaching the areas most affected by the storm.
I would stay away from Citgo Gas in Florida. There was a mix up between diesel and regular gas and several stations were delivered diesel into their regular pumps last Saturday as a result. Although the majority of stations so far have been in the Tampa Bay area, one station in Lakeland and one in Daytona Beach are also on the list of affected stations. The list is expected to grow. Citgo supplies a lot of third party stations, like some 7-11 and other convenience store locations, so double check before you fill up. Better to be safe than sorry . . .

Remember that the evacuation route for central Florida is I-75 heading due north to the Georgia-Florida line so the stations along that route will be busiest.

I would stay away from Citgo Gas in Florida. There was a mix up between diesel and regular gas and several stations were delivered diesel into their regular pumps last Saturday as a result. Although the majority of stations so far have been in the Tampa Bay area, one station in Lakeland and one in Daytona Beach are also on the list of affected stations. The list is expected to grow. Citgo supplies a lot of third party stations, like some 7-11 and other convenience store locations, so double check before you fill up. Better to be safe than sorry . . .
How do we check ?

How do we check ?
The brand should be on the sign or on the pump. I have two 7-11 stations I patronize and they both sell Mobil. The signs by the street with the gas price clearly says Mobil. Using the Gas Buddy app can help too. It will tell you what stations have gas, and you can select specific brands to look for.

I really appreciate you all posting updates. I have a bunch of websites up on my home computer I am following, including the faa one, but have to be away from home all evening so you are my main source!

Here now and honestly in the parks you would never know anything is happening. Skies have gone from sunny to overcast but that’s the only change. Really feels and looks like it’s going to be north of Orlando.

Thinking though if those who will be affected.
Looking at the radar on Accuweather, it doesn’t look like the first bands will reach central Florida until around five pm. Hopefully they will move through quickly and the party can go on as scheduled. I am trying to get one last load of laundry through before there is even a chance of losing power.

Time for a backup generator?
Difficult. We don’t have natural gas available here, and the HOA prohibits propane tanks. I haven’t seen a gasoline powered one that would handle what we need, and there are always issues with finding sufficient fuel. I have been looking into solar, but it’s expensive, especially when adding the storage batteries we would need.

Fortunately our electric lines are buried, so it’s rare to lose power. I would just feel stupid if I had the chance to get one more load of laundry run and didn’t do it. The last load is in the dryer, so I shouldn’t have an issue.

Southwest keeps sending me emails about the travel advisory. Our flight should land after midnight on 9/1 (so overnight Thursday night). I keep second guessing myself when I get their emails, but it really seems like a flight that late on Thursday would be ok (barring any domino effects).
Beware Southwest. They were the main, if not the only airline to cancel flights during Hilary. They took a big hit last Christmas so they are going a little overboard now to reposition planes in advance of storms.

Beware Southwest. They were the main, if not the only airline to cancel flights during Hilary. They took a big hit last Christmas so they are going a little overboard now to reposition planes in advance of storms.
Hoping for the best. I tracked my plane for the 48 hours prior to my flight and it shouldn't be affected by weather at all. Fingers crossed and starting to pack!

Yikes. I've read of people accidentally mix up the diesel and DEF nozzles on trucks, I never considered that the filling stations could also mix things up until now. Caveat emptor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter