This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

For the benefit of non-Florida residents like me, what is it typically like traveling through Florida immediately before, or after a hurricane? I have no intention of trying to drive along I-10 or I-75 as a system makes landfall, but I'm wondering what traffic on the roads is like, availability of gasoline, hotels, restaurants and the like. I know what local law enforcement weather-related travel warnings mean where I live, but I do not know what a "hurricane state of emergency" means for Florida residents. I'm not concerned about what is it like at the Disney parks or resorts. My worry is getting through Florida by car, not getting stuck somewhere, and then successfully getting back home. Thanks.

We checked into Fort Wilderness with our 5th wheel just before Ian was do. We went to the parks and came back to find a note on our truck saying get ready to move out. The next day there was a lot of standing in line and many of the campers went to the Magic Kingdom parking lot with about 450 other campers and then we grabbed some stuff and drove to stand in line at Port Orleans. The parks shut down, everything off Disney was shut down. The food court was a zoo for two days. The eye of the storm went further south, so for a couple days we just had rain 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. A guy saw me in the parking lot by my truck and talked me into driving 3 miles away to grab his 5th wheel where his truck had broke down. Strange driving, nobody on the roads, Didn't really need to stop for traffic lights. McDonalds and everything else closed. We stayed at PO for 7 days, but just paid the campground rate. All in all it wasn't bad, but we really like the Fort, and our dog likes the space and openness compared to a hotel room.

For the benefit of non-Florida residents like me, what is it typically like traveling through Florida immediately before, or after a hurricane? I have no intention of trying to drive along I-10 or I-75 as a system makes landfall, but I'm wondering what traffic on the roads is like, availability of gasoline, hotels, restaurants and the like. I know what local law enforcement weather-related travel warnings mean where I live, but I do not know what a "hurricane state of emergency" means for Florida residents. I'm not concerned about what is it like at the Disney parks or resorts. My worry is getting through Florida by car, not getting stuck somewhere, and then successfully getting back home. Thanks.
It really depends. If a major hurricane is threatening a large Florida metropolitan area, there can be gridlock from people fleeing the path with gas stations running out of gas. But this is rare.

If it's a weaker storm headed into an area with minimal population, or even a stronger storm headed to a less-populated area, you may not even know there was a weather event.

If there are traffic issues, they generally are people leaving the path. After a storm is over, roads will generally be quickly cleared of any debris and back to normal. The Interstates in Florida are designed for lots of rain.

The impact will vary on how fast a storm is moving. If a hurricane or tropical storm slowly moves across the state, there are more chances of road disruption.

A hurricane state of emergency really means to pay attention. Some areas may require evacuation if the storm is of a certain strength. If you live at the beach, you may have to leave. Schools may be canceled. Evacuation centers may need to be set up. Utility crews have to be ready. Bridges may close.

Every business in the state and the government will generally have some kind of hurricane plan. It may be to close early. It may be to call everyone in to work.

After a storm hits, people who are unaffected quickly resume their activities. The biggest widespread issues are generally power outages. Hopefully, any swath of damage will be narrow.

Again, all this varies on how strong, how big and how quickly a storm moves through.

Well I didn’t think they would close the parks but with the new updates, they probably will at least half day. Maybe late opening Wednesday?

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 25
Thank you Upatnoon. That explanation was VERY helpful. My only experience with a hurricane was Dorian. We had plans to visit friends in Tampa, but they called ahead of time and cancelled as they always leave the state when a hurricane is predicted ... due to one previous bad experience they had. I've always wondered since then if that was necessary and what it is really like.

And now this morning I see the headlines about the Citgo gasoline diesel contamination in the Tampa area. Ugh! If it aint one thing, its something else ... here is hoping for the best to all of you who live in Florida.

Question for those in FL or with more hurricane experience, how do you sort out the various sources for potential impact? I am checking the national hurricane center site, but seems like local news stations, AccuWeather, weather channel, etc, each have different info re winds, rains, timing, etc. Sometimes they are close enough, but other times there are very different parameters,

Question for those in FL or with more hurricane experience, how do you sort out the various sources for potential impact? I am checking the national hurricane center site, but seems like local news stations, AccuWeather, weather channel, etc, each have different info re winds, rains, timing, etc. Sometimes they are close enough, but other times there are very different parameters,
Follow someone like Mikes Weather Page that talks about all the models. I’ve found that the most helpful.

a lot of us locals like to use mikes weather page.

Thank you Upatnoon. That explanation was VERY helpful. My only experience with a hurricane was Dorian. We had plans to visit friends in Tampa, but they called ahead of time and cancelled as they always leave the state when a hurricane is predicted ... due to one previous bad experience they had. I've always wondered since then if that was necessary and what it is really like.

And now this morning I see the headlines about the Citgo gasoline diesel contamination in the Tampa area. Ugh! If it aint one thing, its something else ... here is hoping for the best to all of you who live in Florida.
Bay News 9 published a complete list of affected gas stations.
My number one go to is Denis Phillips at ABC Action News. I follow his Fb and watch the lives that he broadcasts.

For Orlando, it’s Wesh News that I usually watch.

Mike’s Weather Page is a great resource especially if you want to dig in deep.

The "problem" with these local news stations, as well as the more national ones, is that they need you to keep watching for ratings purposes. So they sensationalize things. Stick with the National Hurricane Center site.

I go straight to the NHC, they are the ones who fly the planes into the storms and do the updates every few hours (it varies depending on how close/severe the storm is).....we are coming in on Saturday morning, I have the nhc page up at work and refresh throughout the day....They have many different types of maps and things

nhc.noaa.gov

Really struggling with what to do on a short trip that was supposed to last Tuesday afternoon through Friday (assuming we can fly in at 11am Tuesday)... We can add another day and just wait out the weather on Wednesday... are the days after usually "normal" rain and less "tropical storm" rain?

Really struggling with what to do on a short trip that was supposed to last Tuesday afternoon through Friday (assuming we can fly in at 11am Tuesday)... We can add another day and just wait out the weather on Wednesday... are the days after usually "normal" rain and less "tropical storm" rain?
So far the likelihood of the storm actually passing through the Orlando area is slim. I'd expect just regular "normal" weather after it passes along the coast.

So far the likelihood of the storm actually passing through the Orlando area is slim. I'd expect just regular "normal" weather after it passes along the coast.
I don’t know that would agree that the risk to Orlando is slim. I live between Orlando and Tampa, so I have been watching Tampa news this morning for a different perspective. They are still saying the landfall point cannot be confirmed yet, that the storm needs to get into the gulf before they can make an accurate prediction. Even when showing the current path, they are reiterating that this is based on the current information available and that they expect the path to change. Storms like Charlie and Ian were predicted to hit Tampa, but turned early and hit Ft. Myers. Until the storm moves north of the Tampa area, Orlando is still under threat.

I just got back from filling my vehicle and canisters for my generator. Our local 7-11 had about 1/3 of the pumps shut-off/empty with lines formed. We live near The Villages.

I bet our Publix supermarkets are already a madhouse this AM.

So what will happen if the Tuesday party is canceled? Guessing that they won’t move everyone to Friday considering it’s sold out.
If Disney cancels it they will receive a refund. That’s actually the only circumstance they offer a refund. They will not add in a make up party to the schedule or move people to sold out parties- at least that’s how it went in the past.

Not sure if they let people reschedule for another party without paying the price difference?

I just got back from filling my vehicle and canisters for my generator. Our local 7-11 had about 1/3 of the pumps shut-off/empty with lines formed. We live near The Villages.

I bet our Publix supermarkets are already a madhouse this AM.
That’s why I went to Publix on Friday to stock up. My gas tank is full, and I have my emergency cash out of the bank. I am in south Lake County.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter