This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

I always feel bad fretting about my vacation when peoples safety and homes are in jeopardy. But I can’t help it. We leave Saturday morning first thing out of Pittsburgh. Y think according to these graphs both on the national hurricane center and the one on the Tampa news site someone on these boards recommended, it looks like everything will be fine by then. Am I missing something?
It will be out of the Orlando area by then. Just keep an eye on where it heads after landfall. Usually it’s north and east, and usually a rain maker.

In 2004, we headed up north for Frances. And had heavy rains heading back to Florida.

I have my bags packed in case I decide to evacuate. Unfortunately it may be tomorrow before they pin down the path and strength, so it will be a last minute scramble. I figure I would have to go to either Alabama or Tennessee to get out of its path. I feel for the people in Tampa. They are on the border of the “cone” so if it decides to make a run there, it will be chaos getting everyone out.

I hate that darned cone of uncertainty . . .

ETA My county has a tropical storm watch now . . .

Last edited:

Southwest has availability on flights Thursday instead of Wednesday, but I should make a decision by tomorrow I think. I agree about the uncertainty.

Southwest put out travel advisory. Can change your flights if they are Tues-Thurs. That has me feeling less confident in my 8:45pm flight on Thursday from Dallas, but I think we should be ok. I’m assuming including Thursday is more for the Carolinas area.

I have my bags packed in case I decide to evacuate. Unfortunately it may be tomorrow before they pin down the path and strength, so it will be a last minute scramble. I figure I would have to go to either Alabama or Tennessee to get out of its path. I feel for the people in Tampa. They are on the border of the “cone” so if it decides to make a run there, it will be chaos getting everyone out.

I hate that darned cone of uncertainty . . .

ETA My county has a tropical storm watch now . . .
My sister and niece are in Tampa. And they evacuated for Ian. So far, she has been reluctant. I’m ready to buy her a freakin hotel room.

Sending you the very best.

My 23 year-old daughter and her friend are supposed to land at 2:00 on Tuesday and have party tickets for Tuesday night. I wish I knew what to tell them. I’m assuming there’s not much of a chance of the party happening, right? I don’t think they can change their flight to Monday, either.

My family and I are in a different quandary. We were supposed to drive from Atlanta to WDW on Tuesday. I'm now questioning whether it'd be safer to drive tomorrow instead. Not sure if that would even make a difference though. The local forecast for Atlanta is heavy rain.

I really don't like seeing all the headlines talking about it most likely upgrading to Cat 1 Hurricane. >.<
I would go in the morning. Rain is a lot better than wind and rain

You said you’re flying Wed? That day looks pretty grim.
Yep. Due to land at MCO 8 AM Wednesday. Keeping an eye on the situation. Can't go Tuesday, could switch to Thursday. Path could change yet.

DH is connecting through Miami Tuesday morning on to Costa Rica. Thinking he should be OK.

Yep. Due to land at MCO 8 AM Wednesday. Keeping an eye on the situation. Can't go Tuesday, could switch to Thursday. Path could change yet.

DH is connecting through Miami Tuesday morning on to Costa Rica. Thinking he should be OK.
I would change to Thursday. They’ve been pretty confident that the storm will be out of the area by Thursday.

1693180020539.png

Last edited:

I think your DH will be ok, but I agree with @deannaf87 that Thursday would be a better choice if you can’t get in early Tues. This thing is likely going to screw up air travel on Wed, and it could take days for them to catch up.

So what will happen if the Tuesday party is canceled? Guessing that they won’t move everyone to Friday considering it’s sold out.

I think your DH will be ok, but I agree with @deannaf87 that Thursday would be a better choice if you can’t get in early Tues. This thing is likely going to screw up air travel on Wed, and it could take days for them to catch up.
I booked a backup flight on points for Thursday, so I can wait a bit longer to decide for sure and have the option, in case Thursday would sell out before I decided.

As I was brushing my teeth it dawned on me that SW had sent me a code a while ago for 20% off points booking for flights within 14 days. So I canceled the Thursday flight I just booked and rebooked it for 20% less. My Wednesday flight was only $42, but if it gets cancelled I may be able to change to Thursday for free if available. Have all my bases covered now.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter