• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

I always feel bad fretting about my vacation when peoples safety and homes are in jeopardy. But I can’t help it. We leave Saturday morning first thing out of Pittsburgh. Y think according to these graphs both on the national hurricane center and the one on the Tampa news site someone on these boards recommended, it looks like everything will be fine by then. Am I missing something?

I always feel bad fretting about my vacation when peoples safety and homes are in jeopardy. But I can’t help it. We leave Saturday morning first thing out of Pittsburgh. Y think according to these graphs both on the national hurricane center and the one on the Tampa news site someone on these boards recommended, it looks like everything will be fine by then. Am I missing something?
I think this will well over by then. You'll also have plenty of time to monitor and pivot if the impacts are somehow severe enough to impede your trip (seems unlikely).

Of course it is still hurricane season, so no guarantees that another storm wouldn't develop and impact your trip into next week.

I know what you mean. But same. I posted the thread because no one was talking about it, and I thought anyone arriving Tues/Wed might opt to alter plans. I’d sacrifice my trip if I thought it would change the outcome :(.

This particular storm should be out of the area by Friday, last I saw. I hope you have a wonderful time.

My family and I are in a different quandary. We were supposed to drive from Atlanta to WDW on Tuesday. I'm now questioning whether it'd be safer to drive tomorrow instead. Not sure if that would even make a difference though. The local forecast for Atlanta is heavy rain.

I really don't like seeing all the headlines talking about it most likely upgrading to Cat 1 Hurricane. >.<

My family and I are in a different quandary. We were supposed to drive from Atlanta to WDW on Tuesday. I'm now questioning whether it'd be safer to drive tomorrow instead. Not sure if that would even make a difference though. The local forecast for Atlanta is heavy rain.

I really don't like seeing all the headlines talking about it most likely upgrading to Cat 1 Hurricane. >.<
I think you might be okay if you leave early Tuesday.

What matters is the forecast along your route, Atlanta is just one city. Personally I’d rather drive in heavy rain than a TS so I’d be inclined to leave mañana but the forecast for points along the route would be my ultimate guide.

The first line on the NHC’s latest update is that it is forecast to become a hurricane so for now the thing is just gaining steam.

We leave MD on Tuesday - driving to Greeneville TN for 2 Nights, then to Statesboro GA on Thursday,
and on to WDW-AKV on Friday. I will be watching this very closely.
Good Luck to all who are going to be in Florida, and I hope this gets through the area with a minimal amount of damage and loss.

Currently Invest 93, possibly to become Idalia. Anyone else who’s going to be at WDW next week watching this? NHC has it at a 70% chance of development in 48 hrs, 90% in 7 days, with forecasters predicting impact on Florida, most around the panhandle/big bend. I adjusted my flight arrival and will move around my park res, but am otherwise just popcorn::
Be prepared for the Parks to close for the storm.

We also are from Atlanta and decided to come down Saturday versus Sunday to get in an extra day as we leave on Thursday to head back North

We are scheduled to leave Thursday at 6:30 pm from Memphis with a layover in ATL and then land at MCO at 11:30 pm. I’m hoping this has all passed by then and won’t affect our flights. DH and I have been many times, but this is the first time to WDW for my brother-in-law and his wife. We are only there until Monday morning so we were already trying to cram 4 parks plus the MNSSHP into 3 days.

Denis Phillips just posted that it’s now forecast to be Cat 2.

I have seen at least one saying Cat 2 prior to landfall. :sad1:

I think everyone recognizes that this is possible if the storm track/strength warrant it.
Not just that. Disney buses, skylines, monorails do not run in tropical storm force winds. Also, local govt issue curfews against being on the roads, which means Cast Members can’t get to work. Etc.

We are scheduled to leave Thursday at 6:30 pm from Memphis with a layover in ATL and then land at MCO at 11:30 pm. I’m hoping this has all passed by then and won’t affect our flights. DH and I have been many times, but this is the first time to WDW for my brother-in-law and his wife. We are only there until Monday morning so we were already trying to cram 4 parks plus the MNSSHP into 3 days.
I feel for people with MNSSHP tix for Tuesday night. Even if the parks aren’t in the storm track, the forecast is abysmal. :(

Not just that. Disney buses, skylines, monorails do not run in tropical storm force winds. Also, local govt issue curfews against being on the roads, which means Cast Members can’t get to work.
Thanks. We all saw what happened last year.

I feel for people with MNSSHP tix for Tuesday night. Even if the parks aren’t in the storm track, the forecast is abysmal. :(
That would be me 😂 - it’s why we opted to come down early and at least spend some MK time yesterday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter