This sounds wrong, but it was posted on DIS

daffystardust

Earning My Ears
This story was included under "Walt Disney World Best Kept Secrets"

-"It's a story that the CM who gave us a "keys to the Kingdom" tour told us: Before Walt Disney started his own company, he was a young cartoonist looking for work. He signed on with a very small and little known company and started drawing and creating. He created a rabbit that he named "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit". Apparently, this company loved the rabbit, but wanted to make some changes. Walt refused, saying that this was his creation and he didn't want it changed. He then sold the rights of his creation to this company and quit to set out on his own. The company? Warner Bros., who then renamed Walt's creation "Bugs Bunny!"-

Let me know if I'm missing something, but wasn't it Universal who owned Oswald and NOT Warner Brothers?

Also, Bugs Bunny made his debut with Warner Brothers in a 1938 cartoon called "Porky's Hare Hunt," while Oswald was appearing in 6 different cartoons produced through Walter Lantz that very same year.

In fact, Oswald appeared in 2 more cartoons after that, one in 1943, the same year Bugs Bunny was appearing in some of his most memorable early color cartoons, including "A Corny Concerto" and "Falling Hare." Another Oswald cameo happened in a Woody Woodpecker cartoon in 1951, the same year as the Looney Tunes classic "Rabbit Fire"("Rabbit Season! Duck Season!").

Oswald also appeared in many comic books under Walter Lantz's name throughout the 30s & 40s and into the early 50s.

These seem to me to be clearly 2 different characters owned by 2 different companies.

Please share detailed information if you disagree with me. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter