This Is Very Important

Shirley,
Thanks for the info and sharing your experience on DCL - which is what I thought this particular forum was about. I, too, have never thought twice about these events - neither participation nor a spectator. However, I find information such as yours helpful for future reference when sailing. I'm going again in July and will undoubtedly avoid these events (if they still have them). I prefer a nice relaxing ;) game of Bingo anyway. Best wishes for your hubby's full recovery.

I'm not sure why DCL does them anyway...Quiet Cove Pool....supposed to be a more mature setting. Sounds like a Carnival Cruise line type event to me. I'll pass and look for something a little more "grown-up."

I am really sorry about the injury though, and hope your husband will continue to get better. Hopefully no one else will be injured thanks to your vigilance.

Well, I have to speak my two cents on this topic..... I participated in the Belly Flop Contest (2nd place) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do have some experience "flopping" although it has been quite a few years since I had done this skill. "Flopping" is definitely a learned skill and you can definitely do it wrong and experience discomfort. For me, it was a blast and well worth the trouble. I did not get hurt and neither did the other participants.

I think that you have to know your own limits and Disney should not have to remove this fun and entertaining activity because some people have not enjoyed it as much as they expected to.

I'm very sorry people have been hurt doing this but that doesn't mean others can't do it to avoid this from happening.

Also, my DH played in the Scavenger Hunt activity and he was eliminated early in the contest. We truly laughed our heads off the entire time and really enjoyed it tremendously. I'm sure others did as well. My suggestion is to only participate in events on the ship that you feel comfortable in. Others enjoy watching these events and are entertained by them.

I am truely sorry to hear about your husband, but I just have a couple comments. I was on that cruise and at the belly flop contest. You mentioned that your husband had no choice but to participate because they pulled him in. Not true, he could have walked away. Our friend got picked and dragged up on the pool deck, but he walked away. They did not make anyone do the belly flop contest. I did see your husband get out of the pool, and yes you could tell that he hurt his shoulder, but he did not rush to the infermery. He stayed throughout the rest of the contest. Then you said that he was confined to his cabin for the rest of the trip, but we saw him throughout the rest of the trip with a sling on. I am not doubting you that your husband got hurt, but I just hope you are not trying to get anything from Disney that is not fair. Disney's policy is very clear in the ticket books. The belly flop contest is volenteer. If you thought it was unsafe, you shouldn't have participated. Unfortunately, I think it was just a freak accident. I hope you don't taunt Disney for a freak accident.

Me again! If I am wrong, I stand corrected and send my apologies. One poster mentioned that two people got hurt. I only saw the one man, and am assuming that was your husband. All in all, no these games should not be eliminated. They are on every cruise ship and people enjoy them. If you are one who does not enjoy these activities or think they are unsafe, then don't attend. Once again, it was a freak accident. Freak accidents happen all the time in all sorts of situations and those situations aren't always eliminated. If it wasn't safe, I believe DCL and all other cruise lines, would do away with them.

Just read your previous post on this incident. I'm sorry if I was insensitive to your husband's injury. Obviously, he did not know what he was getting in for when he participated in this event.

I hope he recovers swiftly.

Belly flopping is a tough activity. When I cruised the oldest participant was probably me (41 years old!). The CM's father demonstrated this skill and he did pretty good, but obviously was an experienced "flopper".

Since I wasn't there when your husband participated, I have no idea of the circumstances. Godspeed for your husband's swift recovery.

I hope it doesn't come to a lawsuit. I really don't believe the CMs who run this event had any intention of anything but an enjoyable activity for cruisers. I'm just sorry it wasn't that for your family.:(

We have cruised Disney for the past 4 years, and I have never participated in the belly flop contest....have watched....but no guts to participate.....but I have to share two incidents that happened at WDW....when my daughter was 5 she was head over heals with the characters....well Mickey and Minnee appeared by the castle and she hightailed it over...halfway there she took a wild spill and cutting up her hands, arms and knees...and a 5 year old crys like a baby....but before I could get to her...and I was about 30 feet away, two cast members we over attending to her. Disney medical was there in a minute and took care of her at first aid.....they were great....secondly, about 4 years ago my wife and I were walking through Pleasure Island shops during the day....wanted to see the shops when things were relatively quiet....unfortunately my wife had a seizure....the cast members in the shop were great...helping me control her until the medics got there about 5 minutes later....they took her to the hospital....the chief drove me back to the hotel and then to the hospital....when she was released later that day...Dixie Landings sent a van to pick us up.....and we had a reservation for dinner that night that I could not cancel....they told me I could cancel it or postpone it if I liked...and that night they sent a fruit basket and called a couple more times during the week making sure she was OK....they have always treated us great....and I am thankful for it....this is just my observation of a couple of things that happened to us....Thanks all....and we have 5 weeks to our "MAGIC"al vacation.....May 10th!
Tom

Cathyrob...the man you saw injured w/ a hurt shoulder...I think was someone else, a second injury after Shirley's husband. I could be wrong but if i understand it correctly, Shirley's husband hit his cheek, face, ear and head area. He is having neuro problems. There was also a man who hurt or dislocated his shoulder shortly thereafter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter