This Is Us- Season two

::yes:: Agree and I think we all agreed last season the result of the "ageing" was shockingly poor, compared to the overall quality of the show. I don't watch any of the after-show talks - has that issue ever been addressed?

I've never watched the after shows so I'm not sure. Glad they've made some changes though!

I hope this show is on for yours and years.

I read an interview with the creator and he made it sound like it had a set number of years to run. I actually really like it when shows do that - like Stranger Things. The creators have already said there will only be four seasons of it.

I think the flash forwards will take place 20 years in the future based on Kevin's scene where he's talking to Jack at the tree. He says that it may take him 20 years to make Jack proud of him, but he'll do it. And Tess looked to be in her 20's in the flash forward scene with Randall.

Yes, I heard him say "bec" when she was at the vending machine.

Seems like I'm the only one who missed that part - rewatching the episode today! I also missed the details at the very end since I was distracted with my dog. lol

Loved the show. We knew he was going to die, knew about the fire so once they said his heart rate was up from the smoke I knew right then. I think they still did a great job , we could see it all going on in the background when she was on the phone with out really seeing it. I'm glad they did it that way instead of us seeing them work on him. Mandy Moore did a great job. Poor Miguel in that scene too.

Not sure how he collected all that stuff with fire so big. But it adds to the story. Could you love Toby anymore. He is so there for Kate even though sometimes I really don't like Kate...lol

Kevin by the tree, I think that is where I felt it , then the laugh with about maybe not the right tree.

Randall is always my favourite. He was so excited and the twist , never saw that coming . I kept saying to my daughter his boy is coming.

Now I will have to rewatch it today to see what I missed.

Oh, there was a lot of stuff that didn't make sense in this episode. Maybe that's why I'm a little disappointed. They've been so good at the small stuff and then the stuff in this episode just strained credulity.
Like where did Randall’s girlfriend get clothes for them in the middle of the night? Kate I can see but Randall?

Ok, I didn't ugly cry like I thought I would. I did cry in parts. When the Dr. was asking him about Kate dog. When the kids learned about Jacks passing. I wish Jack last words would have been something beside your blocking the TV. I heard him call for her. I cried when Randall started to remember his dad when talking about giggles the lizard passing.
I love that Rebecca and Kevin are rebuilding there relationship there phone conversation was sweet. I'm glad Kate didn't lose her tape I was kinda mad at Toby for even suggesting they could remake it.

I;m so happy Dr. K is coming back next week

Just rewatched it before getting ready for work. I cried more this time... might be puffy eyed today. They do such a great job casting actors in this show. Mandy Moore's performance when she walks into Jack's hospital room after he died was award winning in my opinion. Really well done. And the actress they chose to play the older Tess looks so much like her - just amazing.

One part at the end I am missing the significance of is the painting on the wall in Tess's room. Can anyone clue me in?

Oh, and I did hear his voice calling "Bec" when she was at the vending machine this time.

I really liked this episode. The part that got me was when Jack was still in the house and Rebecca went to run in and Randall grabbed her. But I do hate he went back in for the dog and to grab all that stuff.

I liked the adult scenes...that Rebecca is building a better relationship with Kevin. Kate finally really opening up to Toby. Randall and Beth are always amazing and his talk with Tess was really terrific. It's incredible they were able to cast and adult Tess who so strongly resembles kid Tess. Overall, I think Mandy Moore shined in this episode.

I don't know why Kate never had the vcr tape copied or put on DVD or something. I completely understand why she wants the tape...Jack made it/touched it. But I would do anything to protect something so precious to me like that so that I would never have to be without it.

As for the clothes after the fire, maybe Randall's girlfriend has a brother or grabbed them from another friend? I would be surprised if the whole community didn't know the Pearson house burned down and were happy to help with things like this.

I thought that Jack coming out the front door with the dog and a bag of photos albums was too far fetched. There is no way he could have done that in a blazing fire that had started downstairs. They couldn’t even make it to the stairs, let alone him finding the dog, finding the mementoes, and walking out the front door without a burn on his body, That just went over the top which disappointed me.

One other thing that bothered me and maybe I noticed this because we actually watched the show when it was aired and not the next day (because we knew there would be too many spoilers out there) was that the show looked like it was filmed in 60FPS which is the same low quality video as a soap opera vs using regular film. Am I the only one who noticed this? The lighting was very flat, just as if I were watching a soap. Why did they cheap out like this on the most important episode thus far? It really annoyed me and took away all of the quality that good lighting brings to a scene.

brother maybe Those little details don't really matter to me
This show is all about the details. That stretched credibility IMO. It’s like they tried to fit the fire around that. Watching the aftershow the producers said they thought they’d be able to keep Jack’s death a mystery for years. I got the idea this wasn’t originally how it was supposed to go down.

I really liked this episode. The part that got me was when Jack was still in the house and Rebecca went to run in and Randall grabbed her. But I do hate he went back in for the dog and to grab all that stuff.

I liked the adult scenes...that Rebecca is building a better relationship with Kevin. Kate finally really opening up to Toby. Randall and Beth are always amazing and his talk with Tess was really terrific. It's incredible they were able to cast and adult Tess who so strongly resembles kid Tess. Overall, I think Mandy Moore shined in this episode.

I don't know why Kate never had the vcr tape copied or put on DVD or something. I completely understand why she wants the tape...Jack made it/touched it. But I would do anything to protect something so precious to me like that so that I would never have to be without it.

As for the clothes after the fire, maybe Randall's girlfriend has a brother or grabbed them from another friend? I would be surprised if the whole community didn't know the Pearson house burned down and were happy to help with things like this.
That perfectly fit and was exactly how teen Randall dressed? Complete with sweater vest? It’s not even that I really care but people have been picking the show and every detail apart for months and that’s a detail that just doesn’t quite fit. Like I said above it just felt like they were trying to make scenes make sense. It is what it is but it feels sloppy to me.

@wenrob I agree that all the details seem to mean something on this show. But I think Randall is an average size kid wearing the clothes of one his peers - so it's not too far of a reach for me that she found something that fits in both size and style.

I thought that Jack coming out the front door with the dog and a bag of photos albums was too far fetched. There is no way he could have done that in a blazing fire that had started downstairs. They couldn’t even make it to the stairs, let alone him finding the dog, finding the mementoes, and walking out the front door without a burn on his body, That just went over the top which disappointed me.

One other thing that bothered me and maybe I noticed this because we actually watched the show when it was aired and not the next day (because we knew there would be too many spoilers out there) was that the show looked like it was filmed in 60FPS which is the same low quality video as a soap opera vs using regular film. Am I the only one who noticed this? The lighting was very flat, just as if I were watching a soap. Why did they cheap out like this on the most important episode thus far? It really annoyed me and took away all of the quality that good lighting brings to a scene.
Agreed. Again it felt like they were trying to squeeze this episode around what we already know/have already seen. That scene felt like, “here’s the explanation of why there was a big fire but they still have all the momentos from their lives.”

The video quality did not seem off to me.

I just finished the episode. I haven't gone through the thread to read everyones thoughts yet, I wanted to write mine.

In spite of how tragic the episode was, it was written with such beautiful loving scenes in spite of Jack Dying. This was one of the best episodes for me, so heartfelt and loving. Omg, When Kate told Toby how wonderful he was, it was so touching, she found someone just like her dad and she finally realized how lucky she is.
Keven reconnecting with Rebekah and his dad again was awesome, 20 years of hurt finally healing.

BUT Randall, oh my gosh that was just so good. When they show that its Tess who is the Social Worker, I lost it. Randall as the older dad looking at his daughter as a woman awesome. That hit me so much. Because when he was sitting on the bed with her, I thought to myself you have no idea how soon she will be an adult, it goes by so fast as we are too busy doing life to realize it.

Just a great episode, now off to read all of your thoughts!!!

ETA: I heard the "Bec" at the vending machine also.

Last edited:
maybe he had clothes at her house
LOL they’d been dating for ten minutes. Kevin I could see having clothes at a girlfriend’s house but Randall?

Honestly, the clothes aren’t what bothered me about the episode. For *me* the episode felt like an explanation that failed. It just didn’t work for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter