This is Us- Season six

We never knew that Kate was on her way with Jack. Toby just said that he’d talked to Jack and “they’re on their way” but we didn’t know who “they” referred to other than Jack.
During this episode, or one around it, wasn’t Toby in bed, seemingly in a deep depression, and he seemed in a really bad state? But when he was there in this episode he seemed ok, and we know he remarried and seems happy.

I think this is may favorite episode of any of them. I loved the young Rebecca was paused before the painting from the museum in the Bar car. I will be watching this one another time or two to catch all the little details as there is so much to unpack and look at in this episode alone. I love the elegance of the train and the romance of it. One other person missing from the train was her mom, we saw her dad but not her mom. I agree with the reddit post about Miguel and why he was cut short. I love seeing Dr K and William, they have always been a fav. I also want to rewatch the whole thing after seeing them all so I can catch all the little easter eggs . This show is incredible and they should win all the Emmy's in all the categories.

For those asking about Toby in bed. That scene had Kate in it and it was resolved the following season when he went back on his meds. We never saw the episode it was just to show that his depression would be a factor the next season and it was. Malik was always going to open a restaurant and needed the business side from college to complete his knowledge. Harvard is a business school so why not go to the best. I loved Beth's speech, it brought on the first tears. I was only able to watch it today and still am thinking of things. I am sad it is ending but it has been such and epic ending so far.

I think this is may favorite episode of any of them. I loved the young Rebecca was paused before the painting from the museum in the Bar car. I will be watching this one another time or two to catch all the little details as there is so much to unpack and look at in this episode alone. I love the elegance of the train and the romance of it. One other person missing from the train was her mom, we saw her dad but not her mom. I agree with the reddit post about Miguel and why he was cut short. I love seeing Dr K and William, they have always been a fav. I also want to rewatch the whole thing after seeing them all so I can catch all the little easter eggs . This show is incredible and they should win all the Emmy's in all the categories.

For those asking about Toby in bed. That scene had Kate in it and it was resolved the following season when he went back on his meds. We never saw the episode it was just to show that his depression wo
uld be a factor the next season and it was. Malik was always going to open a restaurant and needed the business side from college to complete his knowledge. Harvard is a business school so why not go to the best. I loved Beth's speech, it brought on the first tears. I was only able to watch it today and still am thinking of things. I am sad it is ending but it has been such and epic ending so far.
Hmmm...I feel like that was a different time. This I think was the 1st flash forward we saw of this time and he was alone in bed no Kate to be seen and Randall just said something like "she would want you there." Some started thinking at that time that Kate had passed. IDK...I definitely feel like I want to go back and re-watch. Find the things I missed and then I also feel like there are things that never were answered/resolved...like they were going one way, but then decided to scrap it and go another.

During this episode, or one around it, wasn’t Toby in bed, seemingly in a deep depression, and he seemed in a really bad state? But when he was there in this episode he seemed ok, and we know he remarried and seems happy.
Yes, it did seem to point to him struggling with depression. It seems to be a storyline they may have originally meant to pursue but never did. Possibly cut short due to filming restraints during covid?

Yes, it did seem to point to him struggling with depression. It seems to be a storyline they may have originally meant to pursue but never did. Possibly cut short due to filming restraints during covid?

The scene was in season 2 episode 18 at the end of Kate and Toby's wedding. Here is a written recap https://www.vulture.com/2018/03/this-is-us-recap-season-2-finale-the-wedding.html

**And that’s when This Is Us deploys its new trick: We jump into the future again. It’s a year-ish from now. Kevin is on an airplane headed to Vietnam with a picture of Jack from the war … and Zoe snuggled at his side. Yes, Beth’s cousin Zoe. (Back at the wedding reception, we see Kevin and Zoe have a meet-cute by the punch bowl.) In the future, we also see Kate going to Toby’s side in their bedroom, and the curtains are drawn and he is hiding under the covers as she talks to him about changing his meds. It’s just like the depressive episode his parents described.**

It wasn't until the last episode of season 3 that we see old Rebecca in bed.

When Randall called Toby to come say goodbye he was sitting in bed and fine, not depressed.

Wish we'd had more of Toby with Rebecca Asking her if he was her favorite son-in-law made me giggle.😏

Yes and I have a theory on this. I think he went because he knew Kate would need some help with the kids and out of respect for Rebecca.

My question is how did he get there so fast? Was he in PA for work (or with Lauren’s job). Did he catch a red eye?

The scene was in season 2 episode 18 at the end of Kate and Toby's wedding. Here is a written recap https://www.vulture.com/2018/03/this-is-us-recap-season-2-finale-the-wedding.html

**And that’s when This Is Us deploys its new trick: We jump into the future again. It’s a year-ish from now. Kevin is on an airplane headed to Vietnam with a picture of Jack from the war … and Zoe snuggled at his side. Yes, Beth’s cousin Zoe. (Back at the wedding reception, we see Kevin and Zoe have a meet-cute by the punch bowl.) In the future, we also see Kate going to Toby’s side in their bedroom, and the curtains are drawn and he is hiding under the covers as she talks to him about changing his meds. It’s just like the depressive episode his parents described.**

It wasn't until the last episode of season 3 that we see old Rebecca in bed.

When Randall called Toby to come say goodbye he was sitting in bed and fine, not depressed.
I just realized will we see Zoe again?

My MIL would get up in the middle of the night and start packing. She wanted to go home. She had lived in her current house for approximately 15 years. I’d have her describe “home”. It was the white farmhouse she grew up in. She wanted to sit outside and wait for her boyfriend/husband to drive up the dirt road. She was a teenager in her mind. She has the same caregivers for 5 years but wanted the strangers out of the house. She would recognize us but mix up the kids with the parents. Not sure who she thought I was but she was way nicer to me the last 10 years. I was the one who received the middle of the night phone calls when she was afraid or confused. Before her decline I was always the “other woman”...stole her son 🤣 she was non verbal and unable to write or walk due to a stroke for the last year of her life. We did our best to keep her comfortable and get her out as much as possible. I often thought of where she might be in her timeline, her thoughts and fears.

Alzheimer’s/dementia is a horrible disease. Maybe someday we will have effective treatments.

My dad was the same way. He would ask where his parents were, and cry and want to go home to them, a house he hadn't lived in since his early 20s. He would sometimes reference my mom, who he divorced when I was 12, in a way that made us think he thought they were still married, and would consequently not recognize my stepmom at times. He loved his parents so much. I feel pretty sure if he could have chosen a time of his life to 'sit' in, it would have been the years prior to enlisting in the Vietnam war.

My dad was the same way. He would ask where his parents were, and cry and want to go home to them, a house he hadn't lived in since his early 20s. He would sometimes reference my mom, who he divorced when I was 12, in a way that made us think he thought they were still married, and would consequently not recognize my stepmom at times. He loved his parents so much. I feel pretty sure if he could have chosen a time of his life to 'sit' in, it would have been the years prior to enlisting in the Vietnam war.
It's a terrible disease. It's sad to see the confusion and fear and seeing them treated less than human by some....is the hardest part. We had a family member who wouldn't touch her...like they thought it was contagious.

The reason I like last week's episode better...the family gathered around Rebecca. Seeing how hard she tried to be super mom (and did a pretty good job)...the appreciation the family had for her was amazing.

Last edited:
Having some connectivity issues, so can't find the posts but -

@AustinTink was so relieved to read that you got through the episode. I actually spent part of the time watching it worried for you.
And if I could get the emojis to come, maybe that would not sound so creepy! Insert big wink and smile.

@tcufrog -I am sighing for you. I have not forgotten your original post about your father.

---------

Post about Miguel -I knew something was up -his dialogue with Rebecca was more his persona form early days. Something' didn't make sense. So even beyond the brevity, it was clear it was a different perspective.

Mandy Moore - I am assuming they directed her to have the feeling of wonderment - she did a great job.

Milo was right. It was beautiful. The time for you to rest hit me hard. As did what she made out of some intense heartache.

Apparently Tuesday is a totally different feel - more quiet they are saying. I have always loved the quiet episodes through the seasons, so hopefully it will be a good finish.

------------

I don't know if I will have power to actually see Tuesday's finale, as in electricity. Hoping to see it live though. We had some severe storms pass by here yesterday. And they are saying it will take a bit. Midnight literally came at midday. I don't know how you all do it living in areas where this type of issue is more intense and frequent. We got a warning on our phones, and I think because we are not used to the threat many - including myself on my bike - went whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter