This is Us- Season four

I was thinking it being her, that maybe she changed her mind about having kids. That does happen. In my early 20's I swore I'd never have kids when I was 26, I decided I did and had my first at 27, but after reading M. Night's quote I'm thinking it will be Sophie, mostly because I think the majority of viewers would want that.
I know that certainly it CAN happen, my mom was also the same way. She actually didn't decide to have kids until she was over 30.

BUT, and I say this as someone who ALWAYS wanted kids (and I now have one), I think it's really crappy that so much of society has this "I know better" attitude towards people, especially women, who know they don't want to have kids. I have several friends who are child-free, and they get so many smug "You'll change your mind" and "Your biological clock will kick in soon enough" type comments. It's frustrating, and it doesn't even happen to me directly.

I know that certainly it CAN happen, my mom was also the same way. She actually didn't decide to have kids until she was over 30.

BUT, and I say this as someone who ALWAYS wanted kids (and I now have one), I think it's really crappy that so much of society has this "I know better" attitude towards people, especially women, who know they don't want to have kids. I have several friends who are child-free, and they get so many smug "You'll change your mind" and "Your biological clock will kick in soon enough" type comments. It's frustrating, and it doesn't even happen to me directly.

Totally agree with you. I'm just thinking for a show like this that likes to take us on twists and turns, Zoe could make sense as something we weren't expecting, but would love to happen.

I know. That's why I don't want it to be Zoe. It would just be more reinforcement that "everybody who feels that way changes their mind."

Like you, I have one child (which is exactly as many as I wanted) but I still had a lot of people (when he was younger) who assumed I'd have more, and tried to tell me he "needed" a sibling.

I actually think that, deep down, a lot of people who have kids do wonder what their lives would have been like if they hadn't. (But they feel guilty about that, because they love their kids!) They want to believe that everyone should have kids because it reassures them that they made the right decision.

I took that as maybe he doesn't end up with Sophie. Everyone wants Kevin to find love and be happy and stable and we expect that to be with Sophie. What if in the end he gets all that but it's with someone else?

YES!! This is what I think 100%, and you said it perfectly. I don’t know if M Night was talking about the whole series, or just that episode. Hardly anyone saw the twist of him

What about Zoe being Kevin's finance?

I hope not. It looks like I’m in the minority but I didn’t like her at ALL.

Finally watching the ending of Good Will Hunting may have symbolized an ending to their love story. When Sophie's mother told Kevin he hadn't earned the grandmother's ring was poignant. Maybe when Sophie was looking at the ring at the end of the episode she realized while they loved each other Kevin may not be that 'I'll always be there person' for her that you need in a marriage and her mother knew it.

Finally watching the ending of Good Will Hunting may have symbolized an ending to their love story. When Sophie's mother told Kevin he hadn't earned the grandmother's ring was poignant. Maybe when Sophie was looking at the ring at the end of the episode she realized while they loved each other Kevin may not be that 'I'll always be there person' for her that you need in a marriage and her mother knew it.
I am really hoping that’s what it meant too.

I know. That's why I don't want it to be Zoe. It would just be more reinforcement that "everybody who feels that way changes their mind."

Like you, I have one child (which is exactly as many as I wanted) but I still had a lot of people (when he was younger) who assumed I'd have more, and tried to tell me he "needed" a sibling.

I actually think that, deep down, a lot of people who have kids do wonder what their lives would have been like if they hadn't. (But they feel guilty about that, because they love their kids!) They want to believe that everyone should have kids because it reassures them that they made the right decision.

UGH!! One child mom here too. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes ...
Being 1 child shamed is real. Please don't do this. You don't know everyone's circumstances. It took me 8 years to get my daughter. Even though I was in the older age bracket when I had her, in all likeliness I could have had another pregnancy. I chose not to for many reasons. QUIT SHAMING parents for only having one. It is rude!!!

When are you going to have your next? (Uh, never.)
You only have 1 child? (Yep. Sure do. And guess what, it isn't a crime to only have one.)
Why did you have only one? Everyone wants more than one? (None of your business. And no, they don't.)
Your son/daughter will want a sibling. (Maybe s/he would, it isn't their choice.)
Oh, an only child . . . no doubt s/he is spoiled. (WHAT! Not just only children are spoiled. And no, my kid doesn't get everything she wants . . . ask her, she'll moan about still not having a dog, a cell phone, or social media accounts. Too bad, kid.)

UGH!! One child mom here too. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes ...
Being 1 child shamed is real. Please don't do this. You don't know everyone's circumstances. It took me 8 years to get my daughter. Even though I was in the older age bracket when I had her, in all likeliness I could have had another pregnancy. I chose not to for many reasons. QUIT SHAMING parents for only having one. It is rude!!!

When are you going to have your next? (Uh, never.)
You only have 1 child? (Yep. Sure do. And guess what, it isn't a crime to only have one.)
Why did you have only one? (None of your business.)
Your son/daughter will want a sibling. (Maybe s/he would, it isn't their choice.)
Oh, an only child . . . no doubt s/he is spoiled. (WHAT! Not just only children are spoiled. And no, my kid doesn't get everything she wants . . . ask her, she'll moan about still not having a dog, a cell phone, or social media accounts. Too bad, kid.)

Thank you. I only had one ON PURPOSE. No way could we deal with more than that, so we were honest with ourselves about it. I hate when people feel the need to comment on it. I've been really rude in my replies, so they quit doing it for the most part. I feel for the poor unfortunate soul who makes the mistake of saying something to me about it.

I think you might be spot on.

But the child we see in the future is pretty clearly not bi-racial.
It probably isn't Zoe, but just wanted to point out that just because the future child does not "look" bi-racial, does not mean they aren't. My cousin who is black (on the lighter skin side though) has 2 kids with his wife who is Italian. Their son "looks" bi-racial, but you would never think their daughter was bi-racial.

It probably isn't Zoe, but just wanted to point out that just because the future child does not "look" bi-racial, does not mean they aren't. My cousin who is black (on the lighter skin side though) has 2 kids with his wife who is Italian. Their son "looks" bi-racial, but you would never think their daughter was bi-racial.

Exactly. I was going to point that out too, but you beat me too it :)

Agree. My husband is Hispanic, I’m white. We have one son with dark skin who definitely looks Hispanic, while the other son has a very light complexion.

Agree. My husband is Hispanic, I’m white. We have one son with dark skin who definitely looks Hispanic, while the other son has a very light complexion.

My daughter is married to a Hispanic man and her son is very fair and my grand daughter in my little cubanita.
She has had total strangers ask if they have the same father.......people are so rude.
Its funny though, she is darker like her dad and looks like my daughter, he lighter like his mom and looks just like his dad with my husbands long lanky body, lol

I know that there are children that are biracial/mixed, with one white parent, and look white. Victoria Rowell from Y&R used to have stressful - and probably totally irritating situations - where people would not believe that her own son was hers.

However, Kevin's son is not Zoe's biological child. Why? Zoe's DNA would be evident in his hair, in some form. It is not.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter