This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

First, I still side with Royal on this.

Second, why did the writer of the article need to specify which President appointed which judge?

Last but not least, I wonder how much of this "let's appeal" is coming from their lawyer vs the family.
I had that same question when I read it. There should be absolutely nothing political in this.

if the family has any say in this appeal they should withdraw it and be thankful grandpa received only 3 years probation for a guilty plea to negligent homicide. my only even remote reasoning for the family to agree to pursuing this is either-

pure greed or

absolute revenge towards the grandfather who would certainly be called upon to testify and be grilled/forced to relive for hours if not days on end retelling his horrific negligence in the child's death.

I was searching for a Royal Caribbean cruise and timeline flooded with articles. I picked the easiest one to share, no idea who the group is. I didn't even read it as we all know what it's about ~ 💰💰💰💰💰! What I thought was disgusting was the title. "Killed on cruise ship"??? No, child was killed by grandpa when he dropped her OFF the cruise ship. What a disgusting family. I hope it quickly gets tossed again and better yet RCI find some way to sue them to stop this.

Last edited:
if the family has any say in this appeal they should withdraw it and be thankful grandpa received only 3 years probation for a guilty plea to negligent homicide. my only even remote reasoning for the family to agree to pursuing this is either-

pure greed or

absolute revenge towards the grandfather who would certainly be called upon to testify and be grilled/forced to relive for hours if not days on end retelling his horrific negligence in the child's death.
This very much looks intentional by the way that they reacted. They were VERY quick to file a lawsuit and they said that they stood behind the step grandpa. If anyone killed my child, especially in such a careless manner, you would have to hold me back from wringing their neck. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned the whole thing thinking that they would get a pay day. We have seen worse behavior from parents.

This very much looks intentional by the way that they reacted. They were VERY quick to file a lawsuit and they said that they stood behind the step grandpa. If anyone killed my child, especially in such a careless manner, you would have to hold me back from wringing their neck. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned the whole thing thinking that they would get a pay day. We have seen worse behavior from parents.
Are we back on this again? So you think they planned a family trip to San Juan, paid for flights, hotels, plus the cruise with the INTENTION of killing the toddler? Not only the parents, but the grandparents were in on it? SMH.

Are we back on this again? So you think they planned a family trip to San Juan, paid for flights, hotels, plus the cruise with the INTENTION of killing the toddler? Not only the parents, but the grandparents were in on it? SMH.
People have done worse and we know it. Why do you think that it is out of the realm of possibility? If your step dad intentionally dangled your child 11 stories and dropped her, what would you do? Would you defend him and immediately sue the cruise line? And then keep trying to sue even after he was convicted of killing her? Do we all not live on the same planet and see the atrocities that people commit?

Second, why did the writer of the article need to specify which President appointed which judge?
Because the linked article came from Courthouse News, “a nationwide news service for lawyers and the news media.” Federal judges are lifetime political appointees, so the facts of their appointment will always be relevant to a legal audience reading law-related news stories involving them. Three different presidents were referenced, so it’s not like it was a dig at any one in particular.

Last edited:
This is disappointing. I can understand them wanting to blame the cruise ship--it's easier to wrap your brain around, in your grief and loss. But I hoped with the passage of time that they would come to see that there was no cruise ship negligence, the grandfather did something stupid in the moment.

As to the mentioning of the presidents--I understand that it's a legal publication, they probably do that in every article. Interestingly, on this particular thread, we have people from all across the political spectrum--and rarely have you had a thread with this much agreement on an issue. Even the conspiracy theorists don't think Royal Caribbean is at fault.

People have done worse and we know it. Why do you think that it is out of the realm of possibility? If your step dad intentionally dangled your child 11 stories and dropped her, what would you do? Would you defend him and immediately sue the cruise line? And then keep trying to sue even after he was convicted of killing her? Do we all not live on the same planet and see the atrocities that people commit?
Have parents killed their children? Of course. But, find one example of parentS putting out thousands of dollars, AND getting THEIR parents involved in the conspiracy in order to kill a child.

I still think the lawyer heard about the tragedy, somehow got to the parents VERY quickly, while they were in shock, got them to sign a contract, and is pushing this.

Unless you have some kind of evidence other than "what they did AFTER the accident (and yes, I do think it was an accident, even though the grandfather is responsible) doesn't make sense", I don't think it's a valid theory. I mean, do you have ANY kind of motive?

Because every presidential administration has a certain judicial philosophy for most of the judges who are appointed under the president's term. It's a short-cut for court watchers to guess how a specific judge or justice will rule.

Their grief will never be "over", and by now they must have come to the unfortunate realization of living with their loss; they are bereaved parents and will be until the end of their days. The original claim has been rejected, fault determined, and justice served (such as it was). I'm of the mind now that it's completely about the money, whether it's being driven by the lawyer or the family.

Everybody sees the deep pockets of a huge corporation and assumes there's a payday there, and quite often there is. This second kick at it by the plaintiffs shouldn't surprise anybody, I guess. I'm mightily glad Royal Caribbean put up a robust defense instead of settling and hope they continue to do so, maybe this time with more teeth, like a counter-suit for costs.

Because every presidential administration has a certain judicial philosophy for most of the judges who are appointed under the president's term. It's a short-cut for court watchers to guess how a specific judge or justice will rule.
So what sort of an idea does it give you on how the judge will rule in this case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter