This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

My opinion is that the grandfather had a tragic accident, just as if the little girl was killed in a car crash with him driving. He made (probably a series of) bad decisions. But we've all made bad decisions - or tired mistakes, while driving or whatever, and usually been lucky. He wasn't, and the guilt must be overwhelming.
This x100. I lost respect for the family when they allowed the lawyer to sue the cruise line... not to produce the video tape (which I would understand) but blaming the cruise line for the accident. It makes it look (to me) like they want to profit from this tragedy.

Didn't it get mentioned earlier in the thread a GoFundMe was started (for a memorial bench?) and any extra money would go to the sibling's college costs?

Didn't it get mentioned earlier in the thread a GoFundMe was started (for a memorial bench?) and any extra money would go to the sibling's college costs?
BoUnce is for a memorial bench, with the existing(/increasing?) overage going to the family for unspecified use. There's a Fundly account for the scholarships.

FWIW, I really feel sorry for the GF. I had nothing but sympathy for the parents, until I saw they were going on the Today show.
Totally agree. If something this unbelievably tragic happened to one of my children, I’m absolutely positive that the last thing on my mind would be giving a TV interview. In fact I’m pretty sure I would need to be heavily medicated to even make it through the day this soon after it happened. I’ll be very curious to watch though, and see what they have to say.

Last edited:
Oh, so they are trying to shame RCL for something that the GF did? Seriously, I realize that they are probably completely torn up, but this is a total DBag move and I hope it bites them in the distal end of the alimentary canal.

First, from what I have read I don't think RCCL is at fault. I have been on that ship and you can see when the windows are open. But we haven't seen the footage. Nor has the parents (I can't blame them for not wanting to see the last seconds of their babies death. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.)

But I do have an ounce of compassion for them. They just lost their daughter. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they are not in a normal state of mind. Then add in getting fed a bunch of BS from their lawyer (that's who I think the DBag is) and trying your best not to place blame on your own Dad to make sense of this tragedy. I haven't seen a preview of the interview, but I think it is pretty natural at this stage to try and place blame on the outside factor. Will the interview change my mind? Maybe. But I want to wait and see what they say before wanting them to get bit in the butt with anything.

Totally agree. If something this unbelievably tragic happened to one of my children, I’m absolutely positive that the last thing on my mind would be giving a TV interview. I’m fact I’m pretty sure I would need to be heavily medicated to even make it through the day this soon after it happened. I’ll be very curious to watch though, and see what they have to say.
Same. I can’t imagine being able to function. My mother died when I was a freshman in college. My grief was unbearable. I couldn’t eat. Getting out of bed was a struggle. I cried all of the time. If this happened to my daughter, I would be inconsolable. I certainly wouldn’t be in any condition to appear on television.

I don't think those are the only 2 options.
Okay, but they do seem to be the two most obvious go-tos.
My opinion is that the grandfather had a tragic accident, just as if the little girl was killed in a car crash with him driving. He made (probably a series of) bad decisions. But we've all made bad decisions - or tired mistakes, while driving or whatever, and usually been lucky. He wasn't, and the guilt must be overwhelming.
Yes, I think the analogy of a car crash is good. The grandfather didn't meant this to happen, but he made some bad choices, and it did happen.

Yes, every last one of us have made bad decisions -- many, many times -- and usually the "cost" of those bad decisions is just a slap on the wrist or a good scare. Wasn't true for this grandfather on this day. He's not a villain; he just did something foolish one time, and the cost was sky high.
Totally agree. If something this unbelievably tragic happened to one of my children, I’m absolutely positive that the last thing on my mind would be giving a TV interview. I’m fact I’m pretty sure I would need to be heavily medicated to even make it through the day this soon after it happened. I’ll be very curious to watch though, and see what they have to say.
Yep, I think it's the lawyer pushing them to do the talk show.

Last edited:
Have just a small amount of empathy? They are wanting answers to something that they really don’t want to face. Give them a break.
Have loads of empathy for their loss, it would be an unimaginable amount of grief. But going on a PR circuit is not about grieving nor getting answers. Now if RCL was blocking them from watching the tale and they were desperate to watch it, to get answers, but they arent after answers from RCL, that has been offered, and honestly for RCL to offer it to them so quickly, means it has to be obvious that it absolves them (RCL) of fault.

First, from what I have read I don't think RCCL is at fault. I have been on that ship and you can see when the windows are open. But we haven't seen the footage. Nor has the parents (I can't blame them for not wanting to see the last seconds of their babies death. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.)
I can understand them not wanting to watch, if I think about being in their shoes I think I would be desperate to see it (and recognize that choosing to see it might be a terrible idea), I think I would feel like I owed it to her to watch.

I can understand them not wanting to watch, if I think about being in their shoes I think I would be desperate to see it (and recognize that choosing to see it might be a terrible idea), I think I would feel like I owed it to her to watch.

They are living a bad enough nightmare at the moment. I think viewing it would likely make it worse. Imagining it is too much to bear, let alone seeing it. They can’t change the outcome, and that would now become the last living image of their daughter. :sad1:

just a thought but arent railings a safety feature on there own--I mean a rail is no place for some one to sit on

its put up as a barrier between 2 places in this case between windows and people

when that poor little boy was taken by the aligator disney put up ropes around the water to keep people out

the railing was put up to keep people a short distance away from windows

if the little girl wanted to bang on the window why did she have to be picked up a window at her level would have been just as good

just my 2 cents but like alot here I cant see where its the cruise lines fault

Have loads of empathy for their loss, it would be an unimaginable amount of grief. But going on a PR circuit is not about grieving nor getting answers. Now if RCL was blocking them from watching the tale and they were desperate to watch it, to get answers, but they arent after answers from RCL, that has been offered, and honestly for RCL to offer it to them so quickly, means it has to be obvious that it absolves them (RCL) of fault.

One interview isn’t the “PR circuit”.

You have no idea what you would do in their situation and no idea what they are going to say.

As for the video, there is no way in hades I would be able to watch it. 3 deaths in my life have been accidents. I did not and do not want to see a replay of any of them. I can’t imagine being “desperate” to see it if it was my child.

I misspoke about “finding” answers. I meant more they have what they believe is the answer. It’s the answer that maybe helps their grief just a tiny bit. Or maybe they feel a need to address some of the things that were said or are being said in the media. Maybe they feel they owe that to their living children as the man being accused is their grandfather too. I don’t know what they will say and neither does anyone else here. So perhaps it would nice to listen to them before making more accusations about their intentions.

One interview isn’t the “PR circuit”.

You have no idea what you would do in their situation and no idea what they are going to say.

As for the video, there is no way in hades I would be able to watch it. 3 deaths in my life have been accidents. I did not and do not want to see a replay of any of them. I can’t imagine being “desperate” to see it if it was my child.

I misspoke about “finding” answers. I meant more they have what they believe is the answer. It’s the answer that maybe helps their grief just a tiny bit. Or maybe they feel a need to address some of the things that were said or are being said in the media. Maybe they feel they owe that to their living children as the man being accused is their grandfather too. I don’t know what they will say and neither does anyone else here. So perhaps it would nice to listen to them before making more accusations about their intentions.

Well I can imagine it, I can imagine wanting to know the answers to my questions about what happened. Just because it's not what you would want, or think you would want in that situation doesnt invalidate my opinion on what I think I would do.

Given their lawyers statements I doubt this interview is going to be a public safety warning for others to remind them of the dangers of placing children on railings.
I dont believe there is any motive to this interview but to say public opinion in their favor it I would be happy to be wrong.

I don't think I could watch, but I would want to authorize someone I trusted (but who wasn't close to my DD personally) to watch for me and tell me the truth.

Well I can imagine it, I can imagine wanting to know the answers to my questions about what happened. Just because it's not what you would want, or think you would want in that situation doesnt invalidate my opinion on what I think I would do.

Given their lawyers statements I doubt this interview is going to be a public safety warning for others to remind them of the dangers of placing children on railings.
I dont believe there is any motive to this interview but to say public opinion in their favor it I would be happy to be wrong.

I wasn’t trying to invalidate your opinion, but don’t invalidate their feelings by your opinion. They are the ones actually going through this hell.

I never suggested they were going to give a public service message. But again listening to them before judgement is given would be nice.

I wasn’t trying to invalidate your opinion, but don’t invalidate their feelings by your opinion. They are the ones actually going through this hell.

I never suggested they were going to give a public service message. But again listening to them before judgement is given would be nice.
Sorry, I'll judge. If you think about it, what can they possibly say?
1) It was a tragic accident, don't make the same mistakes we (meaning the GF) did.
2) It was all RCI's fault. They shouldn't have open windows, they should have had warnings the windows were open.

It seems extremely unlikely they're going on national TV if it's #1. That would mean it's probably #2 which is nothing other than "it's not our fault". Isn't that what we try to teach our kids NOT to do? Accept blame for your mistakes?

Now, if they come on and say something different, I will be more than happy to come on here and say *I* was wrong.

Sorry, I'll judge. If you think about it, what can they possibly say?
1) It was a tragic accident, don't make the same mistakes we (meaning the GF) did.
2) It was all RCI's fault. They shouldn't have open windows, they should have had warnings the windows were open.

It seems extremely unlikely they're going on national TV if it's #1. That would mean it's probably #2 which is nothing other than "it's not our fault". Isn't that what we try to teach our kids NOT to do? Accept blame for your mistakes?

Now, if they come on and say something different, I will be more than happy to come on here and say *I* was wrong.

Maybe they just want to say he wasn’t swinging her or dangling her I don’t know. There is room in there between #1 and #2. Maybe they can explain some of the questions people have. Maybe they still don’t have a clue since they weren’t actually there and the Today show approached them. Perhaps they have already been talking to the cruise line. Or maybe they truly will just put all blame on the cruise line. My point is we don’t know. But as usual around here if the word “lawsuit” is uttered the person or family automatically become the devil and wrong in every way. It was the same way with the little boy attacked by the alligator.

:sad2: I think it's ridiculous a platform like the Today Show has pursued them to appear. The family didn't call up and demand air-time. Beyond what we already know, there is nothing else newsworthy here, nothing the public can benefit from knowing - just salacious fodder for ratings.

:sad2: I think it's ridiculous a platform like the Today Show has pursued them to appear. The family didn't call up and demand air-time. Beyond what we already know, there is nothing else newsworthy here, nothing the public can benefit from knowing - just salacious fodder for ratings.
Maybe the attorney requested for them to appear. He's been on the Today show in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter