*This is All New - Would Love Advice!

DisneyaHolic23

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are taking my inlaws to Disney World for their first ever trip. Surprisingly, at 83 and 85, they have expressed quite a strong interest in visiting while they are still able. However, neither can walk for long distances - especially my FIL, as he had circulatory surgery in both legs last year. We are planning to get scooters for each, for the entire week, from an outside agency (thanks for the options, which I read about on this Board!)

I have some questions, but would also welcome any advice you might have for making this trip wonderful for these two very special people.

1. I assume that a scooter is best. Any thoughts?
2. Are there any places which are particularly difficult to load with a scooter?
3. Can Disney transportation take two scooters at the same time?
4. Are there any places we simply can't go with the scooters?
5. What aren't we thinking about?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions - we want this to be a completely magical trip! :earsboy:

1. I assume that a scooter is best. Any thoughts?
Whether or not a scooter is best depends on them.
Do they have any difficulty with vision or hearing that would mean they need to exercise more caution or might need some assistance?
Would they rather have the independence of a scooter, or have someone push them so they don't have to worry about navigating?
How comfortable do they feel about driving one?
Do you have other people in your party who could push a wheelchair?
One thing that helps is to take them somewhere like Target, Walmart or a grocery store that has combination scooter/carts? (I suggest Target because they have consistently wider aisles than most stores). If they are comfortable driving those scooters, they won't have any trouble at WDW because any scooter there will be much easier to drive than the store ones.
I'd also suggest they practice driving at your resort first and also practice backing and turning into specific areas.
2. Are there any places which are particularly difficult to load with a scooter?
4. Are there any places we simply can't go with the scooters?
For attractions like shows/things in theaters, they will be able to stay in the scooter. For rides, they will usually need to transfer from the scooter into a ride car. There are a few attractions where they will need to switch from the scooter to a wheelchair (which is available at the ride entrance). You can find out that information in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. There is also a little icon on the park maps for each attraction that tells you. A little ecv and wheelchair icon tells you that someone using an ecv can keep it with them.
3. Can Disney transportation take two scooters at the same time?
Yes. The buses can each take 2 (although if there is more than one bus stop, there is always a slight possibility that there will already be a wheelchair or ecv on board. If that happens, the bus driver can call the dispatcher and send another bus.
The monorail has a specific wheelchair car that you will pull the ecvs in. The CMS will direct you.
The boats can hold more than 2 ecvs.
5. What aren't we thinking about?
I'm sure some ecv users will be here to give you some advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter