This (DISNEY)land Was Made For You and Me - July 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

As for Thunder Mountain, I think I like the front better. The back is great because it's a little faster, but I do enjoy the site lines of being up front. I'm a Thunder Mountain fan - fun coaster for the family and pretty tame, but enough to get your heart rate going.

I am the same way - I am not a big roller coaster person but Big Thunder has a special place in my heart because it's awesome :D

Edit: Did you see that the RNR St Louis half course was released today? It looks like it'll be a fun race! :D

July 19 - Question of the Day
@pjlla actually posted something earlier today that was similar to the question I had planned, so I will mesh both into one awesome question.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is known as the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness. Going through a lifestyle change can be a wild ride too!
Making positive changes is great, but have you actually determined what the root cause of the issue is that got you to where you started?
How did you find these root causes and what have you done to combat them?
(ie: If you're an emotional eater, did you determine what triggered you and how did you combat that?)

Bonus question: Do you prefer to sit in the front or back of Big Thunder?

Hi, my name is Courtney Beth and I am an emotional eater. I went from being anorexic in junior high to an emotional eater as my household situation wasn't... great. I turned to food for comfort and gained a LOT of weight.

It took until June 2014 for me to realize that emotional eating is not the way to go. Food is a means to energize you, it is not comfort. A container of ice cream is not a replacement for a warm hug. So, I changed it. I recognized it. And over night I opted to break the bad habit and watch for the warning signs. 2 years later I am at 140 pounds and doing pretty well finding ways to manage my stress, like going out for a run instead of turning to a box of Cheez-its.

YAY for growth. YAY for this group. :D

As for Big Thunder, I just love being on the ride. I don't care where I sit as long as I am on it. It's just so much fun and I enjoy riding it with my husband. it's part of our tradition - grab fast passes, go ride haunted mansion and then go back to ride Big Thunder :)

Edit: Did you see that the RNR St Louis half course was released today? It looks like it'll be a fun race! :D

I did see it. I can't say I'm a big fan of the first 4 miles being almost a 100 ft incline, but better to do it early than late I guess. I do like the downhill run around mile 12... that should come in handy!

@courtneybeth I know you're doing lots of RnR's this year...are you doing San Jose or Vancouver

Both, actually. Are you doing either? if so, we have to meet up! :D

My RNR races for the rest of the year are as follows:
  • 9/25 - RNR Montreal
  • 10/2 - RNR San Jose
  • 10/16 - RNR St Louis (and @Dr Gunnie is joining me!!!!)
  • 10/23 - RNR Vancouver
  • 10/30 - RNR Los Angeles - the hometown race. Huzzah!
  • 11/13 - RNR Las Vegas
  • 12/3 - RNR San Antonio
I'm also doing the runDisney Dumbo Double Dare over Labor Day weekend and the Avengers 10K. Avengers will be interesting because I'm boarding a plane right after and then doing a 5K that evening in Vegas, followed by the half the next night.

I did see it. I can't say I'm a big fan of the first 4 miles being almost a 100 ft incline, but better to do it early than late I guess. I do like the downhill run around mile 12... that should come in handy!

I threw the course map into MapMyRun to look at the elevation profiles. (13.4 miles - yikes!) The first half of the race is pretty intense, especially around mile 5. If you can make it to the 10K, then it's pretty much smooth sailing to the finishline. This may be another race where my goal is just to cross the finishline and not worry about time. I'll probably have to wear the newer shoes for this race due to the amount of hills. I'll want the ankle support going down.
2016-07-19.png

Both, actually. Are you doing either? if so, we have to meet up! :D

My RNR races for the rest of the year are as follows:
  • 9/25 - RNR Montreal
  • 10/2 - RNR San Jose
  • 10/16 - RNR St Louis (and @Dr Gunnie is joining me!!!!)
  • 10/23 - RNR Vancouver
  • 10/30 - RNR Los Angeles - the hometown race. Huzzah!
  • 11/13 - RNR Las Vegas
  • 12/3 - RNR San Antonio
I'm also doing the runDisney Dumbo Double Dare over Labor Day weekend and the Avengers 10K. Avengers will be interesting because I'm boarding a plane right after and then doing a 5K that evening in Vegas, followed by the half the next night.

Oh wow! Thats a crazy schedule! You are amazing!
I'm registered for both. Definitely doing San Jose. We had written off Vancouver due to cost but now we're talking about driving up (14 hours!) but it makes it affordable so I should know soon if we're gonna go for it or not. If I don't do Vancouver, then I want to register for LA so I can at least get the Cali combo medal since I did SF in April. We should definitely try to meet up at one!

July 19 - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
qwmTDDm.jpg

The Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is another "Mountain" ride at Disneyland - which means it's a rollercoaster and full of thrills!
It's very similar to its MK, Tokyo, and DLP counterparts, boarding a train and going through some ol' mining areas.

Did you know that each park has a different backstory as to the ride?! They're all pretty cool :)

Disneyland's attraction sits where the defunct "Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland" attraction used to sit - and the little town shown at the end
of the ride is actually there to honor the former attraction. BTMR opened in 1979 and today is one of Disneyland's most popular attractions.
The attractions for both WDW and DL were developed at the same time - with minor tweaking for space in each park.
Disneyland's rock formations are based off Utah's Bruce Canyon National Park.

@pjlla actually posted something earlier today that was similar to the question I had planned, so I will mesh both into one awesome question.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is known as the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness. Going through a lifestyle change can be a wild ride too!
Making positive changes is great, but have you actually determined what the root cause of the issue is that got you to where you started?
(ie: If you're an emotional eater, did you determine what triggered you and how did you combat that?)

I know that I can be an emotional eater. We always have chocolate around tech week for the shows we are doing. This past spring I was pretty controlled so I was happy about that. I was working on adding meditation to my workout and I hope to get back into in the next week.

I love Big Thunder but I am not a big roller coaster fan. I prefer to be in the front. You are part way down the mountain before they release the train so it seems easier there than in the back.

DS1 came over today looking for his birth certificate. Dh found it after he left. He and his fiance are getting their marriage license this week and wanted it. He told me that dh and I will be walking him down the aisle to start the wedding ceremony.

Have a happy and healthy evening.

I'm registered for both. Definitely doing San Jose. We had written off Vancouver due to cost but now we're talking about driving up (14 hours!) but it makes it affordable so I should know soon if we're gonna go for it or not. If I don't do Vancouver, then I want to register for LA so I can at least get the Cali combo medal since I did SF in April. We should definitely try to meet up at one!

No matter what happens, you should sign up for Los Angeles so you can get the California Combo medal - it's awesome! I missed SF and did the RNR Carlsbad 5000 instead. I was just coming off a minor race injury from RNR Dallas and didn't want to push myself with miles and miles of hills :P

But yes, we should totally try to meet up before a race. I'm sure you'll be in a faster corral than me. I'm about a 3:10 HM, so I tend to enjoy the course longer and get my money's worth. :rotfl:

I think I had to get over two distinct eating issues. First, I was a boredom eater. I think this was my biggest problem. It turned me into a grazer and that was not a good pattern for me. I would end up snacking all day long (not on fruit or veggies either) and never actually eating a meal before dinner. I'd think - I haven't eaten much - just some crackers here and there, a cookie here and there, some chips here and there... but when you added it all up, it was 0 nutrition, but many, many calories and excessive on the carbohydrates, low on protein. I think I have pretty much cured myself of boredom eating. I actually plan meals, eat meals and have ideas of healthy snacks that I can eat if I need one. Much better than grabbing a little here and a little there.

My other eating issue is stress eating. This, I have not gotten over. In times of stress, the first thing I do is fill my stomach. I have no idea why. It's almost a panicky reaction. In the past year, I have not stopped stress eating, but I have changed what I fill my stomach with. So I may eat many, many unplanned snacks - but i will end up eating an entire bag of carrots or the entire pint of strawberries or five cheese sticks in an hour. I'm still shoveling food down my throat, but at least it's healthy food. And I log it all! I need to find better ways to deal with serious stress. It has only happened a handful of times in the past year (I guess my life is relatively low stress), so it's kind of low on the radar.

Bonus - I don't know the answer to this. I don't think I've ever thought about where I sit on the ride or ever selected my seat - I just go where the castmember sends me. Probably, I'd like the front though. In general, I like to ride in the front car of roller coasters.

July 19 - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
qwmTDDm.jpg

The Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is another "Mountain" ride at Disneyland - which means it's a rollercoaster and full of thrills!
It's very similar to its MK, Tokyo, and DLP counterparts, boarding a train and going through some ol' mining areas.

Did you know that each park has a different backstory as to the ride?! They're all pretty cool :)

Disneyland's attraction sits where the defunct "Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland" attraction used to sit - and the little town shown at the end
of the ride is actually there to honor the former attraction. BTMR opened in 1979 and today is one of Disneyland's most popular attractions.
The attractions for both WDW and DL were developed at the same time - with minor tweaking for space in each park.
Disneyland's rock formations are based off Utah's Bruce Canyon National Park.

My root issue is I sit too much. I started gaining weight when I got a desk job. I can always do better with food but it is not that bad. I just need to move.

This was the first roller coaster I was ever on. I was about 11. I sat between my dad and step mom. I hated the ride and almost refused to ride as an adult. I wasn't really sitting in a seat. I sat on the hump between the 2 seats. I don't think my butt even touched the seat. I thought I was going to fly out. The first time we went back I didn't have to ride because my daughter was too small still. I had to ride it the second time. I sat with my daughter and help her so tight. I was afraid she was going to fly out.

We don't really ride it because the line is always long and tucked in the back. Now I would ride in any spot. The front might be the best though. When going up the down a hill, if you are in the front you are part way down before you really start moving.

Not giving up but my schedule is still not a very set routine as far as making it to the gym consistently and tracking has been sparse. Fortunately I am still losing weight just from the increase in my general life activity. :) AND early from a Wednesday Woohoo I'm seeing the scale with a 2 at the front this week. WOOHOOO!!! So exciting. Not sure where my percentage is because we have been moving furniture around and I am not using my laptop as much. I started with a purchase of the first "part" of what will build a new desktop pc. Yesterday I passed on the gym as I didn't have my phone charged by 5% and no way I wanted to get on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes without my music. Today even though I had little sleep I stopped and made sure I brought my phone charger to work to charge my phone. I'm not sure why it is draining with no use aside from my lunch hour. It will go from 98-100% down to 30% or less by lunch without me even using it. I'm trying to keep the wifi off because it will continue to search. That and I think it searching for 4G which is not around my work. :( The 3G is crappy too. Usually I'd turn it off at lunch to save that little bit to use at the gym but yesterday by the time I was done with lunch break it was at 17% and drained to 5% while turned off. Pretty screwy huh?

Work is going great. I like it though it can be draining some days. I've done so many firsts. First cast cutting off was early on but then I had a day I just knocked out 3 on actual patients(my first one was off another medical assistant who the lead MA and one other new girl had put casts on her. I also did my first suture removal and then another right after. I've only applied one cast. Being a perfectionist I hated it and wanted to do it again but the head Dr gave me approval and a "good job". My assigned Dr complimented my efficiency and work last week when we just moved right through patients smoothly. Then had sent the lead MA to supervise my cast cutting off a young child even though I told him I'd be okay I have done 4-5 in the two day period and was pretty relaxed with it. The others didn't want to do it they were afraid I think being he was 3, well the girl that roomed him I had seen the kid previously and went in no troubles she had peeked in and went back to tell the Dr I was already almost done. I'm always exhausted after work since my absence this month. I think I will go back on iron supplements and see if it helps with the fatigue but by the time I get home I usually am so wiped out I could skip dinner and go straight to bed.

I use to think I just liked to eat and there was no reason behind it but lately I have noticed that I eat when I'm bored or depressed. I realized it when I got home from my parent's house a couple weeks ago, while I was there I didn't snack and was doing well losing weight. As soon as I got home life went back to normal and I started snacking again. Now that I recognize it I feel like I can start to take steps to stop it.

I love BTMR, mostly because DD9 (who was terrified of roller coasters for the longest time) loves it. When we go on it he screams his head off and everyone looks at me like I'm a terrible mom that made him ride it. I like to sit in the back because it seems faster.

@pjlla you and your family are in my prayers.

July 20 - It's Woohoo Wednesday!
giphy.gif

It's that time again.... time to post what you're most happy about celebrating.

Nothing is too big or small. And can be about anything!

what are you celebrating today?

Here is MY unofficial QOTD: Do you think that you can truly conquer a weight issue if your diet/eating plan never addresses the mental/emotional reasons for overeating ?? (Just thinking out loud here, btw.)

Yes and no.

Yes - stuff always happens and the reality is there will be things that push your emotions to their limits. The question is how will you deal with it. That's why it is so important to be happy with your lifestyle and to focus on happy & healthy instead of diet.

But also no! If you habitually mute with food your emotions this would need to be addressed. If you manage to stop overeating you may end up picking up something else to replace it

Saying you as I don't overeat anymore or consider myself to have weight issue. I may work on vanity pounds but my lifestyle and weight is very healthy

but have you actually determined what the root cause of the issue is that got you to where you started?

A lot of it is how we see ourselves, isn't it? I did think hard about my beliefs and some of them were serving me, others not so much. The worse offenders were

It will always be hard work to maintain weight
I will always have struggle
I am like my father and my aunt (both obese by 30) and I have to put a lot of effort not to be the size I am meant to be
I just love food so much
I love ice cream

Truth to be told

It's great fun to feel good about yourself
Its' not that hard at all, it's much harder to feel miserable and overweight
I am not at all like my father and my aunt in many aspects. They never moved from the town we live, I moved in completely different country. They were also both overweight by 30, and I never been overweight (at 37)
I can be perfectly happy with the healthy food I love

Ice cream was like a bad boyfriend and teenage girl. Meet up will give very short time pleasure, plus spots, craving of more sugary foods, guilt, thoughts that I really should give it up but then deciding life will just not make sense without it so may be not giving it up but having tiny bit of it as tiny bit won’t be that bad.

It was like waking up one day and realizing – you know what, I am just fine without you. There won’t be any feeling of loss, I won’t miss the spots, the feeling I need more and more, the guilt. The debates should I shouldn’t I. You don’t love me, I don’t love you back – simple. You mean nothing! I was just silly giving you so much thought.

I changed the way I view myself and I raised my standards on how I give my love. Haha - honestly!

Last edited:

I like food - always have especially junk food - a younger me could eat and still be super slim - the older me, not so much. I started to eat a lot more at night time after the kids were in bed after my relationship broke down - so emotional eating there - stress, anxiety, lonlieness, sadness just trying to feel better. But also boredom I have begun to notice a bit as well - something to do while watching TV.

Self-reflection has helped my find the causes - and the conversations on our threads this year have helped with that as well. I am only just starting to combat them - I am trying really hard to let go of a certain person and the things they have done to me so that I can move forward and regain some self-confidence after a lot of emotional damage done to me. I spend time with my kids.

I don't have a preference - I don't think I've ridden it enough times yet to work that out. When I went to DL the first time I refused to ride it - I was a scaredy cat as I am also not a huge roller coaster fan. But this time around for some reason I really wanted to give it a go - I went on with the boys and really enjoyed it. My DD absolutely refused to go on it - on our very last day I got her on the Gadget Go Coaster and she said that was ok - we told her that BTMRR was very similar and talked her into a go - she loved it but the sad thing was she wanted to go again and we just didn't have the time as we had a pre-booked transfer car to move to Hollywood. So when we get back that will possibly be one of our first rides.

Work is going great. I like it though it can be draining some days. I've done so many firsts. First cast cutting off was early on but then I had a day I just knocked out 3 on actual patients(my first one was off another medical assistant who the lead MA and one other new girl had put casts on her. I also did my first suture removal and then another right after. I've only applied one cast. Being a perfectionist I hated it and wanted to do it again but the head Dr gave me approval and a "good job". My assigned Dr complimented my efficiency and work last week when we just moved right through patients smoothly. Then had sent the lead MA to supervise my cast cutting off a young child even though I told him I'd be okay I have done 4-5 in the two day period and was pretty relaxed with it. The others didn't want to do it they were afraid I think being he was 3, well the girl that roomed him I had seen the kid previously and went in no troubles she had peeked in and went back to tell the Dr I was already almost done. I'm always exhausted after work since my absence this month. I think I will go back on iron supplements and see if it helps with the fatigue but by the time I get home I usually am so wiped out I could skip dinner and go straight to bed.

I am so glad to hear you enjoying your job so much - it sounds like you are fitting in great.

Hmmm

I am celebrating that I have been doing really well with my walking and that the kids have come with me several times to hunt Pokemons - I really like the time we are spending together and that it is getting my oldest son out of the house more - he loves to be inside way too much.

This isn't a woohoo but a funny little story - I was working with a young student this week - so no filter on what they will say! - we were making a playdough worm and I said we needed to roll a long skinny worm - he replied "I am skinny" - I said yes you are - then he said "you're a bit fat today" - what could I say? I said "yes I am!

July 20 - It's Woohoo Wednesday!
giphy.gif

It's that time again.... time to post what you're most happy about celebrating.

Nothing is too big or small. And can be about anything!

What a week!

My biggest woohoo is getting to the 100 lb loss mark last Friday. It also means I'm no longer obese - I'm just overweight! Now the goal is to loose 20 more lbs and get under 200 lbs before the end of the year. Woohoo!

I'm also really liking my new Apple Watch and all the health tracking features it has. I love that I can sync it with my beats and go for a run with without my phone! Woohoo!

Tomorrow I'm skipping football practice and taking my son for a "boys only" night out to the Coldplay concert in St Louis. WooHoo!

I am at 65%! another .3kg down.

We went to Belfast last Sunday(technically this is different country!!) as the boys fancies five guys burgers haha! The weather was fab all weekend. We end to the local theme park and tried their one big coaster! Actually it's pretty awesome. So I had burger on Saturday and Hot dog on Sunday but skipped chips (american fries). Well may be I had like 10 in 5 guys, and chose the most basic burger no cheese no bacon. I ate near maintenance level calories, i wasn't expecting loss this week

What a week!

My biggest woohoo is getting to the 100 lb loss mark last Friday. It also means I'm no longer obese - I'm just overweight! Now the goal is to loose 20 more lbs and get under 200 lbs before the end of the year. Woohoo!

That's amazing! Well done, it not an easy thing to do! It's great that you put the work in and the results are there to prove it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter